Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Looking For Web Site Archiving Software

A few months ago, Gunner (I think) mentioned a program he used to
capture & archive web sites. I downloaded it & used it, but a recent
hard drive meltdown has resulted in the loss of the program, and an
ongoing brain meltdown has resulted in the loss of the memory of what
the program was called.

So, anybody care to enlighten me about that?

TIA,
Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe writes:

A few months ago, Gunner (I think) mentioned a program he used to
capture & archive web sites. I downloaded it & used it, but a recent
hard drive meltdown has resulted in the loss of the program, and an
ongoing brain meltdown has resulted in the loss of the memory of what
the program was called.

So, anybody care to enlighten me about that?

Depending on just what you're doing, and just what OS you're using....
I scoop websites with 'wget', and I maintain a website using
'sitecopy'. These are both under Linux; I would expect MacOS and other
Unix variants to have them; no idea about Windows.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:02:26 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

Joe writes:

A few months ago, Gunner (I think) mentioned a program he used to
capture & archive web sites. I downloaded it & used it, but a recent
hard drive meltdown has resulted in the loss of the program, and an
ongoing brain meltdown has resulted in the loss of the memory of what
the program was called.

So, anybody care to enlighten me about that?

Depending on just what you're doing, and just what OS you're using....
I scoop websites with 'wget', and I maintain a website using
'sitecopy'. These are both under Linux; I would expect MacOS and other
Unix variants to have them; no idea about Windows.

OK, I should have mentioned that I'm running Windoze. I'm currently
trying Ubuntu as a secondary in a dual-boot, but I can't get my
printer to work with it.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:
OK, I should have mentioned that I'm running Windoze. I'm currently
trying Ubuntu as a secondary in a dual-boot, but I can't get my
printer to work with it.

What kind of printer is that?

Wget is a decent archiver. But be careful as to what websites you
archive, and try to not archive anything that looks like it is
database driven or generated by scripts.

You can get into a infinite downloading loop and waste a lot of
website owner's bandwidth for no good reason.

I have such a site algebra.com, and always had problems with people
trying to download it, not realizing how huge it is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:56:46 -0500, Ignoramus2981

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:
OK, I should have mentioned that I'm running Windoze. I'm currently
trying Ubuntu as a secondary in a dual-boot, but I can't get my
printer to work with it.

What kind of printer is that?

Wget is a decent archiver. But be careful as to what websites you
archive, and try to not archive anything that looks like it is
database driven or generated by scripts.

You can get into a infinite downloading loop and waste a lot of
website owner's bandwidth for no good reason.

I have such a site algebra.com, and always had problems with people
trying to download it, not realizing how huge it is.

It's a Brother HL-1440 (IIRC) laser printer. I went through a process
described on a Ubuntu forum, and the system tells me the printer is
installed. When I go to print, the printer warms up, and the Data LED
lights up, but nothing prints, and no paper is output, either.

Anyway, I'm trying to find the Win program that Gunner mentioned a few
months ago (or equivalent). I haven't had any luck yet with a GGroups
search. I guess I need to try harder.

If I get my printer to work with Linux, I'll try Wget.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:05:38 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

http://www.httrack.com

Haven't used it myself yet.

David Merrill

Thanks, that's the one! I liked it pretty well, but you have to be
careful how deeply you go. Some sites had front end pages that linked
to too much other stuff, while the articles I was interested in were
nested kinda deep. Anyway, it's the only one I have used.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:
[...]

There is a Windows version of wget, I have it on this machine; it's
available from he
http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/ (same location as the Linux version, just
look for the Win32 binaries).

Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2009-04-16, Joe wrote:
[...]

WinHTTrack
http://www.httrack.com/

Gunner, back from So. Ca.

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Yeah, and we're all wondering "What color _this_ time?"

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Yeah, and we're all wondering "What color _this_ time?"

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.

If we outlive Gunner we should agree to decorate him for the afterlife, He'd
like that! Especiallly with our taste in decor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Where's Buffy when you need her...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:32:56 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Yeah, and we're all wondering "What color _this_ time?"

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.

If we outlive Gunner we should agree to decorate him for the afterlife, He'd
like that! Especiallly with our taste in decor.

Hah! You expect him to voluntarily let loose the lithe and lively
living legend lesbien laminator on his corpse?

Well, you could ask.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Of course. Hope springs eternal for the Leftist.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:32:56 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
m...
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Yeah, and we're all wondering "What color _this_ time?"

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.

If we outlive Gunner we should agree to decorate him for the afterlife,
He'd
like that! Especiallly with our taste in decor.

Hah! You expect him to voluntarily let loose the lithe and lively
living legend lesbien laminator on his corpse?

Well, you could ask.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------

Volunteer? Hell, he'll be dead, what's he gonna' do? Haunt us?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:59:46 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Yeah, and we're all wondering "What color _this_ time?"

Actually..Im doing pretty good. The ol bod is functioning better than
it has in a number of years. I couldnt have sex...one of my meds was
inhibiting erection..but Friday I discussed it with the doctor...he
seemed to think it was a calcium blocker thats only a "maybe helpful"
and I stopped taking it as an experiment. Last night I nailed the ol
lady for a half hour before she passed out. Still not back to full
size..but it was big enough to do the job.

Im a bit concerned about having some black toenails though. Both right
and left feet ...the big toes have black smudges under the nails. Doctor
says not to worry about them..but keep an eye on them.

Still occasionally need to take a nap after a hard day...which can last
for 3 hours. But...shrug...Im not stressing over it. Its not like Ive
got a lot of work these days.....

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:52:39 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:52:23 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
snip

You do realize that if you don't post for a few days that people think
you're trying to die again.

Of course. Hope springs eternal for the Leftist.

How ... cruel. To toy with their emotions like that.

As a friend of mine says "You are a vile despicable human being of
low morals. Will you be my friend?" (You miss the impact of the
vocal inflections, but ...)

lol

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:46:00 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

WinHTTrack
http://www.httrack.com/

I spent a half hour or so with that. What fun. Hoover down a
massive web site over the DSL line, take machine home and review the
site without waiting for Dialup. Thanks.

OTOH, "Thanks, man. Now I've got hours of reading on Orthodoxy to
distract me from 'real life'." Hmm, am I complaining or bragging?

tschus
pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:29:00 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:46:00 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

WinHTTrack
http://www.httrack.com/

I spent a half hour or so with that. What fun. Hoover down a
massive web site over the DSL line, take machine home and review the
site without waiting for Dialup. Thanks.

Its one of the programs that gets installed in ALL of my computers.
Works about 95% of the time on sites of interest.
Iggys...well..that doesnt work so well.

OTOH, "Thanks, man. Now I've got hours of reading on Orthodoxy to
distract me from 'real life'." Hmm, am I complaining or bragging?

Which Orthodoxy?

Gunner

tschus
pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:19:55 -0700 did write/type or cause to
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:46:00 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

WinHTTrack
http://www.httrack.com/

I spent a half hour or so with that. What fun. Hoover down a
massive web site over the DSL line, take machine home and review the
site without waiting for Dialup. Thanks.

Its one of the programs that gets installed in ALL of my computers.
Works about 95% of the time on sites of interest.
Iggys...well..that doesnt work so well.

OTOH, "Thanks, man. Now I've got hours of reading on Orthodoxy to
distract me from 'real life'." Hmm, am I complaining or bragging?

Which Orthodoxy?

Orthodox Christianity, Aka Greek Orthodoxy; although I'm in the
Antiochian Jurisdiction (That's where St Peter was Bishop before he
went to Rome.) I'm another Episcopalian refuge: too liturgical to go
Evangelical, to Protestant to go Rome, and too Christian to stay with
the Episcopalians.
It has been an interesting five - six years.

Oh yes, the web site was http://www.orlapubs.com/ - a retired English
Professor, now in Hawaii. Fun site.

pyotr

-