Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Merrill

Default Archiving an author's postings

The archive to which Gunner referred in his post," Trouble with cut-off
operation on lathe" got me thinking. This archive
(http://yarchive.net/metal/parting_off.html) was apparently patiently hand
searched, assembled and edited. Does anyone know a way, using Google or any
other means, to bulk archive the postings of a single author and save same
to a CD. I'm talking about the individual, out-of-context messages, not the
entire threads.

The contributions of the late Robert Bastow (Teenut) would be an obvious
candidate. Or, if Harold Vordos could easily do this with his own postings
pertaining to grinding, he would end up with the basis for a book on the
subject. IMO, there have been several other contributors with a high
wheat-to-chaff ratio and exceptional presentation skills.

David Merrill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

David Merrill wrote:

Does anyone know a way, using Google or any other means, to bulk archive
the postings of a single author and save same to a CD. I'm talking about
the individual, out-of-context messages, not the entire threads.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 14 May 2006 17:48:18 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

The archive to which Gunner referred in his post," Trouble with cut-off
operation on lathe" got me thinking. This archive
(http://yarchive.net/metal/parting_off.html) was apparently patiently hand
searched, assembled and edited. Does anyone know a way, using Google or any
other means, to bulk archive the postings of a single author and save same
to a CD. I'm talking about the individual, out-of-context messages, not the
entire threads.

The contributions of the late Robert Bastow (Teenut) would be an obvious
candidate. Or, if Harold Vordos could easily do this with his own postings
pertaining to grinding, he would end up with the basis for a book on the
subject. IMO, there have been several other contributors with a high
wheat-to-chaff ratio and exceptional presentation skills.

David Merrill

Outstanding Idea!!!!

Marvelous even!!!

Id pay (cringe) for such CDs (some..not much..but some)

I wonder if some of the proceeds could be used to donate to one of
Tnuts favorite charities or somesuch. Not a bad memorial..and a
national treasure saved for posterity.

"The Collected Wit and Wisdom of Teenut"

Something to put next to Lautards in the bathroom to browse though. I
think that would tickle Robert immensely.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Merrill

Unless I'm missing something, doing an advanced Google Groups search on
author, "Robert Bastow" in "rec.crafts.metalworking" returns 2860 'threads'
containing one or more messages from Teenut buried among numerous other
messages. From these entire threads one would have to copy Teenut's
individual messages and paste them into a text file; certainly possible, but
a laborious process.

Can anyone identify a more efficient way; possibly some of you in the Linux
world, or are your Web/Usenet readers as insulated from scripting tools as
seems to be the current case in the Windows world?

David Merrill

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
David Merrill wrote:

Does anyone know a way, using Google or any other means, to bulk archive
the postings of a single author and save same to a CD. I'm talking

about
the individual, out-of-context messages, not the entire threads.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

I could certainly write a script which would send an HTTP query to google, dump
the result into a file, and postprocess the file, but why? You think it's going
somewhere? Who would pay anything for stuff they can themselves google up for
free? I don't have anything against Teenut, but he was just one old machinist
with a lot of opinions, and there are lots of others who are still alive and can
answer specific questions I need answered. After you get past the basics of
stuff like how to cut metal, how to do parting in a lathe, what would you use it
for?

So you're basically wanting to do a lot of work to compile something useful only
for beginners.

Sounds like a lousy business proposition to me ..

GWE

David Merrill wrote:

Does anyone know a way, using Google or any other means, to bulk archive
the postings of a single author and save same to a CD. I'm talking

about

the individual, out-of-context messages, not the entire threads.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to David Merrill :
Unless I'm missing something, doing an advanced Google Groups search on
author, "Robert Bastow" in "rec.crafts.metalworking" returns 2860 'threads'
containing one or more messages from Teenut buried among numerous other
messages. From these entire threads one would have to copy Teenut's
individual messages and paste them into a text file; certainly possible, but
a laborious process.

Can anyone identify a more efficient way; possibly some of you in the Linux
world, or are your Web/Usenet readers as insulated from scripting tools as
seems to be the current case in the Windows world?

Hmm ... "lynx" is a text-only browser, which can work well for
the task, and can be coupled to shell scripts to do quite complex
things.

"wget" can download entire trees of web pages, or individual
files, so a combination of lynx to find thinks, a shell script to run
it, and wget to download to files could do it nicely.

However, for Teenut's postings, the way that *I* would go for it
is to download the relevant years from the archives at the site which
holds the official (and long un-updated) FAQs for the newsgroup. At the
University of Wyoming (something.uyo.edu), IIRC. A pointer to it can be
found in Scott Logan's weekly (or is it bi-weekly) FAQ posting. The
early years are zipped, the later ones gzipped, IIRC. And the most
recent years have not been archived, but that happened after Teenut
passed on, so all that he posted (under several usernames) is there.

Once you have it all, then you need to build up scripts to
separate the articles into individual messages, and then select the ones
you need and tie them together into a single file.

Downloading them can take a *long* time -- even with a fast net
feed. I think that they are throttled by the "uyo" site.

Early years fit into a single file. Later years were split into
two, and I think some of the very last archived were split into three
files as the volume of the newsgroup grew.

Beware, however, that in one or two years, there were some
usenet-posted virus programs archived -- along with everything else.
Thus you probably would not want to do this on a Windows box. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Might just be in the search terms.

Then print into pdf or copy and paste into a text editor and do a save as.

IIRC, Robert's user name was sorted in a news reader from a national archive
and was saved. IIRC, Scott Logan did that. Might be on lathe.com page ? hum.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

David Merrill wrote:

Does anyone know a way, using Google or any other means, to bulk archive
the postings of a single author and save same to a CD. I'm talking

about

the individual, out-of-context messages, not the entire threads.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Merrill

Who said anything about a business ? How much faith have you in the future
of free Google groups searches (remember Dejanews?) or in the future of
Usenet newsgroups for that matter ?

I thought I made it excruciatingly clear that I'd like to avoid a lot of
work :-) I, personally, would thoroughly enjoy reading a compendium of
certain contributors to rec.crafts.metalworking using Teenut as one
outstanding example; and I don't consider myself as strictly a beginner,
IMHO.

And what have you got against beginners ? I seem to recall you being an HSM
beginner not so long ago.

David Merrill

David Merrill wrote:

Does anyone know a way, using Google or any other means, to bulk

archive
the postings of a single author and save same to a CD. I'm talking

about

the individual, out-of-context messages, not the entire threads.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:55:35 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

Who said anything about a business ? How much faith have you in the future
of free Google groups searches (remember Dejanews?) or in the future of
Usenet newsgroups for that matter ?

I thought I made it excruciatingly clear that I'd like to avoid a lot of
work :-) I, personally, would thoroughly enjoy reading a compendium of
certain contributors to rec.crafts.metalworking using Teenut as one
outstanding example; and I don't consider myself as strictly a beginner,
IMHO.

And what have you got against beginners ? I seem to recall you being an HSM
beginner not so long ago.

David Merrill

Point, set and match G

David Merrill wrote:

Does anyone know a way, using Google or any other means, to bulk

archive
the postings of a single author and save same to a CD. I'm talking

about

the individual, out-of-context messages, not the entire threads.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?

Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada
http://www.yadro.de

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Merrill

Thanks Martin. I located the following message with Google Groups:

---------
From: Scott S. Logan - view profile
Date: Wed, Jan 17 2001 10:56 am
Email: Scott S. Logan
Groups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

snip . . .

I don't wish to detract from any of the efforts put forth by DoN or
Fitch, but I've set up a page on my server with a brief memoriam, and
the postings requested.

I think it is self explanatory.

http://www.loganact.com/teenut

snip . . .

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Chicago, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"
-------------

Unfortunately, I no longer find the file/folder on either www.loganact.com/
or www.lathe.com. I also looked in the Dropbox without success.

David Merrill

-------------
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Might just be in the search terms.

Then print into pdf or copy and paste into a text editor and do a save as.

IIRC, Robert's user name was sorted in a news reader from a national

archive
and was saved. IIRC, Scott Logan did that. Might be on lathe.com page ?

hum.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Merrill

Thanks Don. Unfortunately I am on a Windows box.

I found the following message indicating that this exercise has already been
done (in the case of Teenut's postings). However, I no longer find anything
on either of Scott Logan's sites: www.loganact.com/ or www.lathe.com or in
the Dropbox. Do you happen to know if this compilation is still available ?

David Merrill

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to David Merrill :
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby

Default Archiving an author's postings [OT]

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
According to David Merrill :
Unless I'm missing something, doing an advanced Google Groups search on
author, "Robert Bastow" in "rec.crafts.metalworking" returns 2860 'threads'
containing one or more messages from Teenut buried among numerous other
messages. From these entire threads one would have to copy Teenut's
individual messages and paste them into a text file; certainly possible, but
a laborious process.

Can anyone identify a more efficient way; possibly some of you in the Linux
world, or are your Web/Usenet readers as insulated from scripting tools as
seems to be the current case in the Windows world?

For some reason, I get 3010 or 3020 rather than 2860 threads, depending on
quotes and spaces in search terms. Eg, there are 3010 shown at (1 line url)
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...obert%20bastow

[...] "lynx" is a text-only browser, which can work well for the
task, and can be coupled to shell scripts to do quite complex things.

True enough, although I prefer wget for automated webpage downloading,
in general. I presume lynx will save pages with html stripped out?
I'd see that as an advantage in an application like this.

"wget" can download entire trees of web pages, or individual
files, so a combination of lynx to find thinks, a shell script to run
it, and wget to download to files could do it nicely.

DoN, perhaps you could try wget on the following url and the one below.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ab0c3e00380a5f
From here, I get ERROR 403: Forbidden, although in a browser they bring
up R.B. pages ok. Maybe a cookie problem?

David, if you save the google search page in file t, the following
all-on-1-line command will generate a list of individual-message urls
in u from the thread urls in t: grep "/browse_thread/" t |sed -e "s|^.*/thread/[0-9a-f]*/|http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/msg/|" -e "s/?lnk.*$//" u
(Install cygwin package to get grep and sed and bash if using Windows.)

For example, the first grepped line is
font size="+0"a href="/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_thread/thread/5e5973b836951947/bc0bf49e00214956?lnk=st&q=group%3Arec.crafts.metal working+author%3Arobert+author%3Abastow&rnum=1#bc0 bf49e00214956"Bolting down milling machine??/a/font
and sed converts it to
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...0bf49e00214956

However, for Teenut's postings, the way that *I* would go for it
is to download the relevant years from the archives at the site which
holds the official (and long un-updated) FAQs for the newsgroup. At the

[snip details]

-jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:21:33 -0600, James Waldby wrote:
True enough, although I prefer wget for automated webpage downloading,
in general. I presume lynx will save pages with html stripped out?
I'd see that as an advantage in an application like this.

lynx -dump I think it is. Gives you a plain text version of it without
the HTML. I use wget for some things, lynx for others, depends on how I
want to parse it once I have it.

DoN, perhaps you could try wget on the following url and the one below.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ab0c3e00380a5f
From here, I get ERROR 403: Forbidden, although in a browser they bring
up R.B. pages ok. Maybe a cookie problem?

I know you can do cookies with wget but I've never done it. It's in TFM
though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to James Waldby :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

[...] "lynx" is a text-only browser, which can work well for the
task, and can be coupled to shell scripts to do quite complex things.

True enough, although I prefer wget for automated webpage downloading,
in general. I presume lynx will save pages with html stripped out?
I'd see that as an advantage in an application like this.

Yes -- it can. See this option:

-dump
dumps the formatted output of the default document or
one specified on the command line to standard out.
This can be used in the following way:

lynx -dump http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx.html

"wget" can download entire trees of web pages, or individual
files, so a combination of lynx to find thinks, a shell script to run
it, and wget to download to files could do it nicely.

DoN, perhaps you could try wget on the following url and the one below.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ab0c3e00380a5f
From here, I get ERROR 403: Forbidden, although in a browser they bring
up R.B. pages ok. Maybe a cookie problem?

I get the same response -- until I add the following option:

--user-agent="Mozilla/4.0"

which causes it to identify itself to Google's server as a version of
Mozilla. Google does not like wget for whatever reasons. :-)

However, what that brought up was some 30K of javascript, which
wget can't process, so it won't get the rest of what you were after.
Processing that through the -dump option of lynx shows that it has some
30+ links in it, which might have been what you were after.

[ ... ]

However, for Teenut's postings, the way that *I* would go for it
is to download the relevant years from the archives at the site which
holds the official (and long un-updated) FAQs for the newsgroup. At the

[snip details]

It looks as though Scott Logan has posted the pointer to the
collection again -- elsewhere in this thread.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Scott S. Logan

Default Teenut (was: Archiving an author's postings)

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:13:55 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

Unfortunately, I no longer find the file/folder on either www.loganact.com/
or www.lathe.com. I also looked in the Dropbox without success.

I'm not completely certain why I did this, or why anyone would care,
but, it's back up. Plain text file and zipped archive. A couple of
duplicate postings, and a couple from his widow.

For anyone who cares about statistics, I have archived 3520 postings,
from 25 Aug 1998 until his last posting 8 Jan 2001, 3-1/2 days before
he passed away.

See http://loganact.com/teenut

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Teenut

A worthwhile endeavor.
Teenut brought a lot to this forum, and thanks to you his wisdom will
continue to give. Print it out and call it an informal compliment to the
"Bedside Reader".

wrote:

Unfortunately, I no longer find the file/folder on either www.loganact.com/
or www.lathe.com. I also looked in the Dropbox without success.

I'm not completely certain why I did this, or why anyone would care,
but, it's back up. Plain text file and zipped archive. A couple of
duplicate postings, and a couple from his widow.

For anyone who cares about statistics, I have archived 3520 postings,
from 25 Aug 1998 until his last posting 8 Jan 2001, 3-1/2 days before
he passed away.

See http://loganact.com/teenut

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Rex B wrote:

A worthwhile endeavor.
Teenut brought a lot to this forum, and thanks to you his wisdom will
continue to give. Print it out and call it an informal compliment to the
"Bedside Reader".

Perhaps you meant "complement"?

I looked at Scott's compilation of teenut's postings. A bit of context would
have helped. Still, one can always google groups on exact wording to pull up the
thread.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Unfortunately, I no longer find the file/folder on either www.loganact.com/
or www.lathe.com. I also looked in the Dropbox without success.

I'm not completely certain why I did this, or why anyone would care,
but, it's back up. Plain text file and zipped archive. A couple of
duplicate postings, and a couple from his widow.

For anyone who cares about statistics, I have archived 3520 postings,
from 25 Aug 1998 until his last posting 8 Jan 2001, 3-1/2 days before
he passed away.

See http://loganact.com/teenut

Many many thanks Scott.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

Second that, heartily. Very much appreciated.

Adam Smith,
Midland ON
"Gunner" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:53:23 GMT, Scott S. Logan

snip