Art Ransom

Default Web site software

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster,TX

www.turningaround.org
http://tinyurl.com/clhg

John McGaw

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster,TX

www.turningaround.org
http://tinyurl.com/clhg

IMHO _ANYTHING_ is better than FrontPage. The big questions: how much do
you know about web authoring (or how much do you want to learn) to produce
your new site? Do you demand a WYSIWIG product? (most of which produce sad
HTML and the results seldom look as they promised during the authoring)
Speaking for myself, it is entirely possible to produce a perfectly
acceptable site using nothing more advanced than a text editor like NotePad.
My first two sites were done that way. I've since moved to Macromedia
HomeSite to gain the advantages of editing across multiple files
simultaneously as my site now consist of hundreds of files. Of course this
takes us back to the first question since doing the job the simple clean way
demands that the site creator knows HTML authoring...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Reyd Dorakeen

Dreamweaver MX, kinda expensive if you buy it...
but it will do a lot.
if you want the best control over your site, and the most freedom for
designing it learn html, its very simple to start and you can probably pick
up the basics in an hour or so.
try www.pagetutor.com
I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

George Shepherd

"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
snip
try www.pagetutor.com

Reyd,

Thanks for posting that link, seems like a good site!

George

---

Stuart Johnson

I've heard some good things about Web Dwarf

http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/

Stuart Johnson
Red Oak, Texas

In article gAB6c.41447$po.336562@attbi_s52, "Art Ransom"
wrote:
I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

Darrell Feltmate

Art
The easiest way to write a web page is to use HTML and the language is
quick to learn. Reyd has a good site and you might also try
http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp
for all the latest code.
http://www.virtualmechanics.com/prod...warf/info.html
is pretty good too, but like all such products it generates a lot of
extraneous code and can slow down a page.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

mike nelson

I have used DreamWeaver to buuild about 6 sites so far--and I speak
relatively little HTML...Altho Dreamweaver may seem expensive at first
blush, if you value your time, you will save quite a bit using a WYSIWYG
(what you see is what you get) design tool. Dreamweaver is now one of the
best on the market, and produces a site that is easiy maintained and
modified. You DO need to know what you are doing, however, but there are
some very good books on the market, such as "Dreamweaver for Dummies" that
will get you going. If you are speedy, some of the Dreamweaver books come
with a 30 day evaluation copy.

Mike

"John McGaw" wrote in message
"Art Ransom" wrote in message
[...]

Nick Silva

If you're on a Mac platform, I have nothing but good things to say about
Freeway Express. It's $89 (web install) and a truly WYSWYG program. I had my
initial web site up in 3 days and refinements have been easy since Freeway
Rewrites the code and only uploads the changes it needs to. Peace.

Nick Silva
http://www.studio-n.net (created with Freeway Express)

On 3/19/04 6:20 AM, in article gAB6c.41447$po.336562@attbi_s52, "Art Ransom"
wrote:

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

Allyn Vaughn

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:20:28 GMT, "Art Ransom"
wrote:

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

I have an older version of Homesite (Version 1.1 from 1996). It was
before they sold out and it is freeware. Has a nice interface and
tools for inerting tags and code. Works reall well. Not sure if you
can still get it though.

Allyn

william_b_noble

for what it's worth, Front Page is ok for basic web site construction - I
use it on two sites, my own (www.home.labridge.com/~wnoble ), and my turning
club's (www.woodturners.org). I have been very careful to avoid all active
X, Java, and Flash, I avoided frames as well for a long time - not because I
couldn't do it, but because some folks are running very old browsers,
because some folks have slow dial-up links (like 2400 bps), and some folks
(me!) really hate sites that bombard you with graphics and fancy stuff when
you are looking for basic information.

So, before you redo your site, think carefully about what you want, and not
only that, think carefully about what your audience will want/need/tolerate.
For example, if I were one of your audience, and I went to your site, and
there were any active X, I would not see it. If there were scripts, I
manually approve each one, and I always choose "NO" unless I know what the
script is doing. If there is any Flash, I don't see it (I don't allow the
flash client to load on my computer) - so, with that said, I've been to many
sites where I get there and I see a blank screen or worse. So, unless it is
something I really need to see, I go elsewhere.
A good site will have a display for "no frames" as well as "frames", and it
will have a way of navigating the site wthout cookies, without java, and
without active X or scripts.

bill

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster,TX

www.turningaround.org
http://tinyurl.com/clhg

Kevin Neelley

Art,
I made most of my website using FrontPage but now I use the software at
http://www.spiderwriter.com

Kevin Neelley
http://www.turnedwood.com

In article gAB6c.41447$po.336562@attbi_s52, Art Ransom says...

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster,TX

www.turningaround.org
http://tinyurl.com/clhg

Reyd Dorakeen

I'm not sure if its the same program, but I had good succes with something
called arachnophelia(spelling?).
in article , Kevin Neelley at
wrote on 3/20/04 10:11 AM:

Art,
I made most of my website using FrontPage but now I use the software at
http://www.spiderwriter.com

Kevin Neelley
http://www.turnedwood.com

In article gAB6c.41447$po.336562@attbi_s52, Art Ransom says...

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster,TX

www.turningaround.org
http://tinyurl.com/clhg

Lobby Dosser

"Art Ransom" wrote in news:gAB6c.41447$po.336562
@attbi_s52:

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

Check out Adobe GoLive. As simple or as complex as you want.
Mike Vore

I'm maintaining about half a dozen sites using CoffeeHTML,
http://www.coffeecup.com. There is a eval version online - 45 days
IIRC. The cost is about $35 (maybe $40. I used the eval copy of
Dreamweaver, I think Coffee is lots easier to use, but you do all your
editing of html source, not WYSIWYG, but there is a 'preview' window
that is constantly updated - like Dreamweaver.

And if you're on Linux there is an old version - it's not in active
development on Linux.

mike

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:20:28 GMT, Art Ransom wrote:

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster,TX

www.turningaround.org
http://tinyurl.com/clhg

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/omw - NEW * * Turned Wood items

Mike Vore

On 20 Mar 2004 10:11:46 -0800, Kevin Neelley wrote:

Art,
I made most of my website using FrontPage but now I use the software at
http://www.spiderwriter.com

According to the Spiderwriter pages, you NEED Internet Exploree.
Which you parobably have installed, but if you prefer FireFox, Mozilla
or Netscape, you're probably SOL. Dammed people forcing us to use M$
trash.

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/omw - NEW * * Turned Wood items
http://mike.vorefamily.net/twr -The weblog
ted harris

"Nick Silva" wrote in message
If you're on a Mac platform, I have nothing but good things to say about
Freeway Express. It's $89 (web install) and a truly WYSWYG program. I had

my
initial web site up in 3 days and refinements have been easy since Freeway
Rewrites the code and only uploads the changes it needs to. Peace.

Nick Silva
http://www.studio-n.net (created with Freeway Express)

You might want ot change the color of your button titles on your menubar.
The red is really hard to read. You also may want to change the mouseovers
on the buttons to corresond witht he titles of the buttons. Right now, the
button mouseovers are the name of the button that the progtram gave it
(button 1a, button 1a1, etc). The idea of having mouseovers is for people
that use a slow connection to be able to view the mouseover before the page
is completely loaded. That way, they don't get didinterested and leave the
site. Easy enought to change.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

(remove NOJUNK to reply)

Nick Silva

What browser and platform are you using? When I look at it, the color of
the buttons is black, and the mouseover is red. This is the same in Safari,
Internet explorer, and Netscape. I had my friend check it on his PC with IE,
and it is also Black with a Red rollover.

On 3/20/04 11:12 PM, in article
, "ted harris"
wrote:

"Nick Silva" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

wrote:

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--

Well, I like hotdog from Sausage software...but it requires
that you learn HTML

ted harris

"Nick Silva" wrote in message
What browser and platform are you using? When I look at it, the color of
the buttons is black, and the mouseover is red. This is the same in

Safari,
Internet explorer, and Netscape. I had my friend check it on his PC with

IE,
and it is also Black with a Red rollover.

It is black, and unreadable on most buttons because the gray background is
too dark. The mouseover is red, and very hard to read. In my first post,
my reference to the mouseover is when you put the cursor on the button,
there is a little window that pops up seperately from the button, that says
"button," "button 1," "button 1a." They can be renamed to match the
buttons, so that peole that use a slow connection can see the description of
the button before the website has actually downloaded all the graphics. I
hope this makes it more clear.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

(remove NOJUNK to reply)

wrote:

"Nick Silva" wrote in message
[...]

Sprog

Notepad works for me.

"Art Ransom" wrote:

I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

Just go download the trial of Dreamweaver and go to www.cracks.am and
download the Dreamweaver 2004 MX Crack...simple enough...and FREE!!!!

Me myself and I

Otherwise known as stealing. Do you expect to get paid for the work you
do? If so, then why shouldn't the Dreamweaver programmers get paid for
what they do?

wrote:
Just go download the trial of Dreamweaver and go to
www.cracks.am and
download the Dreamweaver 2004 MX Crack...simple enough...and FREE!!!!

Bill Rubenstein

And probably illegal.

Bill

In article .com,
says...
Just go download the trial of Dreamweaver and go to
www.cracks.am and
download the Dreamweaver 2004 MX Crack...simple enough...and FREE!!!!

Sympatico News

Could also be a trojan or other malware.

If you are looking for web site creation software then OpenOffice.org might
be worthwhile. It is distributed for free and is having its publicly
available file format considered as an ISO standard for document storage. It
also does word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and drawings.

TTFN

oups.com...