Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing lathe leaking oil...

My VS-13 Clausing lathe is leaking oil out of the gearbox down into the
chip tray, and it's doing it pretty quickly. Oil level goes from center
of the sight glass down to not being seen in less than three days (~ 1/2
pint of oil). It's not readily apparent to me where the leak is
originating from even though i've cleaned it, looked for weeping, oil
trail, etc.

Any thoughts on the most popular spots for gearbox leaks with these
characteristics?

Thanks!
--Joel

--
remove "xxxnospamxxx" to reach me

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

joel wrote:

My VS-13 Clausing lathe is leaking oil out of the gearbox down into the
chip tray, and it's doing it pretty quickly. Oil level goes from center
of the sight glass down to not being seen in less than three days (~ 1/2
pint of oil). It's not readily apparent to me where the leak is
originating from even though i've cleaned it, looked for weeping, oil
trail, etc.

Any thoughts on the most popular spots for gearbox leaks with these
characteristics?

Thanks!
--Joel

Usually when there are no responses, it's because no one knows any
more than you do. Have you contacted Clausing?

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

joel wrote:

Really? a real metalworking topic and nobody answers? What a sad day
this is...

I don't have your model Clausing. I have a 6903.

Is it leaking from your lead screw output? Do you have a parts manual showing a depiction
of your gearbox? If so, draw a line across the full level point and anything under oil
that exits the case is a suspect.

clausing_lathe_and_mill on yahoo groups might be your best place to look. Webb is a
wealth of information, he used to work for a dealer that actually fixed machinery, iirc.

Wes

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-20, joel wrote:

In article
,
joel wrote:

My VS-13 Clausing lathe is leaking oil out of the gearbox down into the
chip tray, and it's doing it pretty quickly. Oil level goes from center
of the sight glass down to not being seen in less than three days (~ 1/2
pint of oil). It's not readily apparent to me where the leak is
originating from even though i've cleaned it, looked for weeping, oil
trail, etc.

Any thoughts on the most popular spots for gearbox leaks with these
characteristics?

[ ... ]

Really? a real metalworking topic and nobody answers? What a sad day
this is...

While I have a Clausing -- it is not a gearhead Clausing, so I
have no experience with that.

If it were the apron which was leaking instead, I might be able
to come up with some guesses. Without good guesses, I figure why
clutter the thread and perhaps obscure someone with valid experience.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wes wrote:

joel wrote:

Really? a real metalworking topic and nobody answers? What a sad day
this is...

I don't have your model Clausing. I have a 6903.

Is it leaking from your lead screw output? Do you have a parts manual
showing a depiction
of your gearbox? If so, draw a line across the full level point and anything
under oil
that exits the case is a suspect.

clausing_lathe_and_mill on yahoo groups might be your best place to look.
Webb is a
wealth of information, he used to work for a dealer that actually fixed
machinery, iirc.

Wes

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

Thanks Wes! Good advice. I'll check it out.

--Joel

--
remove "xxxnospamxxx" to reach me
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

What a job Wes - Looks like it was working before it
was working!

????

Wes