Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

Default Electrical schematics on Linux?

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:29:45 -0500, Ignoramus8285 wrote:

I have a couple of things that I have done and I want to write and
retain schematics of them. One is a fancy phase converter with two
idlers that are switched at different times. Another is a fancy wiring
scheme for my compressor, to permit "on demand" vs "continuous" run,
as well as a start button to prevent unintended starts.

I did it without drawing schematics just by keeping it in my head.

In any case, I still remember how I did my phase converter 4 years
ago, but I do not want to rely on my memory.

So. Is there some easy to use Linux software that is available under
ubuntu, that I could use to draw electrical schematics.

thanks

alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.os.linux.misc,r

Xcurcuit
http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/

Oregano
http://oregano.gforge.lug.fi.uba.ar/

KTechlab
http://ktechlab.org/
Seems there are issues with "ubuntu" I have it because they all came with
Mandriva Powerpack. In fact all these programs did.

gEDA
http://www.gpleda.org/

Klogic
http://www.a-rostin.de/

qucs
http://qucs.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
This is in development but looks simple to use.

The price is right to try.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you remove the crosses and garlic from your computers there is a
free evaluation version of PADS available from Mentor Graphics:
http://www.mentor.com/products/pcb-system-design/

PADS is a very powerful commercial schematic capture and board layout
suite, easily capable of circuits as complex as a PC motherboard or
digital satellite radio network controller (what I used it for). The
eval version will not print or plot a design with more than 30
electrical symbols but that isn't a serious limitation unless you want
to make Gerber plots to fab a board. The command tree structure is
unintuitive and it's somewhat difficult to learn.

The currently available version runs fine under Win2000 and XP.
Serious professional design software like this is why I don't run unix
any more. I spent ten years at a PC-unfriendly company, struggling
with the Mac and Solaris alternatives.

Jim Wilkins