Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a part out of rubber

I need to make a part out of rubber. The part is obsolete and cannot
be purchased. I have one, but it has shrunk over the years and is now
loose and it leaks water.
The part is an isolation ring for a boat engine mount. It sits between
two pieces of aluminum and is compressed by the two pieces.
This allows some movement between the engine and the engine mount and
it also seals out the water.

I am thinking that I can use the existing part to make a mold to build
a new part out of urethane. I can add bulk to the existing part to
make up for the shrinkage.
Problem is, all I can find on the web is urethane for making the mold
not the part. Does anyone have any insight into how I can do this?
Fairly complex part, but I have one to make the mold from.
The link is to a parts manual that shows this part. It is on page 14,
of 20 and it is Item Number 8. It is OMC part number 322214or OMC
393162. same part.
Thanks everyone
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DOH here's the link
http://www.romeosmarine.com/images/s...e%20391621.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote in message
[...]

if this is what I think it is, you might consider using urethane adhesive,
like the one 3M makes - you put a bead of it in place and then just put the
parts together -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I don't have the specific reference, but casting-grade polyurethane rubber
for making gaskets and such is, or was, available in three different
durometers that correspond to a wide range of gasket types. I can be cast in
Plaster of Paris, so it's very easy to work with. It's been used for decades
to make reproduction parts for old cars.

Maybe someone else can help you with a link.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:16:36 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ed, that's exactly the direction I was trying to go. It looks
like www.smooth-on.com probably has the stuff I'm looking for.
Now I have to call them and start asking lots of questions.
I'm thinking Shore A 90 durometer?
Maybe someone here that has already done this will chime in and push
me in the right direction.
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 5:54 pm, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:
[...]

This is not a replay to the OP, but a request for WHAT IS THE
DUROMETER for rubber grommets. I need to make one for a antique
Lauson engine. So it needs to be flexible enough to push into a .25
hole, .1 thick groove, and .5 od. All square edges. I tried off the
shelf, but nothing I found fit this. I would not suspect anyone would
figure out a radius-ed version, but if I have to make one, I'll try
exact replacement copy. This is for a ignition wire feed through from
the magneto coil.
And next would this be a castable material (flexible enough to insert
into hole) that is procurable.

ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You could probably coat it with a butyl rubber or Marine aluminum compatible
silicone caulk and fix it that way. But you could also contact a couple of
outboard / outdrive shops and see if it is in old stock or is also used on
outdrives.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The stuff I was trying to think of is Devcon Flexane. I don't know if it's
still available.

Using it is covered in a good little book that I have around here somewhere,
_How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts_, by William Cannon. If you're
patient, you can read it for free on Amazon. d8-)

According to the book, a car-door weatherstrip is around Shore A 30. A car
tire is around 50 - 60, and the cover of a golf ball is approximately 95.
Flexane is available (or was) in Shore A 80 and 94, with an additive that
will let you mix any *softer* degree of hardness.

I hope it's still available. It's great stuff. I've used it, but not for 20
years or so.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 7:29*pm, ignator wrote:
[...]

ignator- Hide quoted text -

I have a book from TAB books on how to reproduce rubber parts, mostly
for old car restoration. It gave sources and how-to tips. Not sure
it's still in print, though, it's been at least 20 years since I got
it. MSC used to have both castable urethane and silicone, kind of
steep.

"How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts" by William Cannon, hah,
Amazon still has it and on sale yet!

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ignator" wrote in message
[...]

Take a look at How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts on Amazon. The book
lists the durometers of various car parts, so you may be able to figure out
what's equivalent.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Evening Ed
Is this the stuff you're referring to?

http://www-superkleendirect-com.nets...Devcon+Flexane

Regards

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Aha. That's close. That's the trowelable putty. It's also available as a
liquid for casting.

I went to Devcon's site and I see they still make the liquid. This looks
like the one I used 20 years ago:

http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...m?familyid=151

There are some other Flexane products that you can find by searching around
Devcon's site.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"
I don't have the specific reference, but casting-grade polyurethane rubber
for making gaskets and such is, or was, available in three different
durometers that correspond to a wide range of gasket types. I can be cast
in Plaster of Paris, so it's very easy to work with. It's been used for
decades to make reproduction parts for old cars.

Maybe someone else can help you with a link.

--
Ed Huntress

here are two hints

1. Lynn Steele rubber makes a wide range of repro rubber parts (not
particularly cheap) for old cars - I've used a lot of their stuff, generally
it is well done and fits

2. Skinned Knuckles Press publishes a book on casting small rubber parts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

The stuff I was trying to think of is Devcon Flexane. I don't know if it's
still available.

Using it is covered in a good little book that I have around here
somewhere, _How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts_, by William Cannon.
If you're patient, you can read it for free on Amazon. d8-)

According to the book, a car-door weatherstrip is around Shore A 30. A car
tire is around 50 - 60, and the cover of a golf ball is approximately 95.
Flexane is available (or was) in Shore A 80 and 94, with an additive that
will let you mix any *softer* degree of hardness.

I hope it's still available. It's great stuff. I've used it, but not for
20 years or so.

--
Ed Huntress

Bill Cannon must have passed on by now, but he was the editor of a car
restoration magazine called Skinned Knuckles - I published a number of
articles in it a long time ago - Last I heard, I think his son was running
the magazine - my articles are on my web page (at least some of them) - it
was a really good magazine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed's idea it great, but there is an alternative that I have used in the
past. If the shape can be acheived by a lathe or mill, you can place a
rubber blank in liquid nitrogen and then turn it, occasionally pouring more
nitrogen on it as you go.
Steve

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Part of it's on
Google Books
http://books.google.com/books?id=61e...+Parts#PPA6,M1
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Ed's idea it great, but there is an alternative that I have used in the
past. If the shape can be acheived by a lathe or mill, you can place a
rubber blank in liquid nitrogen and then turn it, occasionally pouring
more nitrogen on it as you go.
Steve

I worked at an opthalmic research co, this technique was used on a special
purpose micro lathe for machining research contact lenses from a gel
material. A cool idea!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 4:54*pm, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:
[...]

Go to freeman manufacturing on line.They have every rubber and plastic
thig known to man and downloadable videos. They have urathane for
molds as well as silicones.They have a nearlt 90 min dvd for
8.95 ,which is also on ebay. You might want to get a sample kit at
lower cost. Some of their stuff srts up in under 15 minutes . Their
tooling epoxiie is very hard and they say its used for foundry paterns.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You could probably coat it with a butyl rubber or Marine aluminum compatible
silicone caulk and fix it that way. But you could also contact a couple of
outboard / outdrive shops and see if it is in old stock or is also used on
outdrives.

It is absolutely not available anywhere. I belong to a saildrive group
and this part has been discontinued for at least 20 years
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:54:25 GMT, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:

[...]

I've not had a lot of experience with this but have made (hard)
urethane parts using a silicone moldmaking material. Silicone is
great because mold release normally is not needed; almost nothing
sticks to silicone.

You might find that a moldmaking urethane can be used as a casting
material. Though most moldmaking rubber is quite elastic to allow the
pattern to be removed.

Bought my supplies from http://www.polytek.com . They have a pretty
wide variety and reasonable prices.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Problem is, all I can find on the web is urethane for making the

mold
not the part. Does anyone have any insight into how I can do this?
Fairly complex part, but I have one to make the mold from.
The link is to a parts manual that shows this part. It is on page

14,
of 20 and it is Item Number 8. It is OMC part number 322214or OMC
393162. same part.
Thanks everyone
Dan

Check MSC for Durathane-90 liquid. It's not a mould-making compound,
it's for parts.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://freemansupply.com/
Get the instructioal DVD. Everything you ever wanted to know, and all
the supplies you need.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability: