Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Making a part out of rubber

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

The stuff I was trying to think of is Devcon Flexane. I don't know if it's
still available.

Using it is covered in a good little book that I have around here
somewhere, _How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts_, by William Cannon.
If you're patient, you can read it for free on Amazon. d8-)

According to the book, a car-door weatherstrip is around Shore A 30. A car
tire is around 50 - 60, and the cover of a golf ball is approximately 95.
Flexane is available (or was) in Shore A 80 and 94, with an additive that
will let you mix any *softer* degree of hardness.

I hope it's still available. It's great stuff. I've used it, but not for
20 years or so.

--
Ed Huntress

Bill Cannon must have passed on by now, but he was the editor of a car
restoration magazine called Skinned Knuckles - I published a number of
articles in it a long time ago - Last I heard, I think his son was running
the magazine - my articles are on my web page (at least some of them) - it
was a really good magazine