Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Making a part out of rubber

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote in message
I need to make a part out of rubber. The part is obsolete and cannot
be purchased. I have one, but it has shrunk over the years and is now
loose and it leaks water.
The part is an isolation ring for a boat engine mount. It sits between
two pieces of aluminum and is compressed by the two pieces.
This allows some movement between the engine and the engine mount and
it also seals out the water.

I am thinking that I can use the existing part to make a mold to build
a new part out of urethane. I can add bulk to the existing part to
make up for the shrinkage.
Problem is, all I can find on the web is urethane for making the mold
not the part. Does anyone have any insight into how I can do this?
Fairly complex part, but I have one to make the mold from.
The link is to a parts manual that shows this part. It is on page 14,
of 20 and it is Item Number 8. It is OMC part number 322214or OMC
393162. same part.
Thanks everyone
Dan

You could probably coat it with a butyl rubber or Marine aluminum compatible
silicone caulk and fix it that way. But you could also contact a couple of
outboard / outdrive shops and see if it is in old stock or is also used on
outdrives.