Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Large taps

For pictures of a large 4 inch diameter, 4 TPI tap that I sold a long
time ago, see

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis.../ebayhist.html

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4181 wrote:
For pictures of a large 4 inch diameter, 4 TPI tap that I sold a long
time ago, see

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis.../ebayhist.html

I'd like to see the tap wrench that goes with it.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-18, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus4181 wrote:
For pictures of a large 4 inch diameter, 4 TPI tap that I sold a long
time ago, see

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis.../ebayhist.html

I'd like to see the tap wrench that goes with it.

This being a coarse thread, I would think that the wrench would be
operated by 2 people and should be 2 meters long.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:49:24 -0500, Ignoramus4181

On 2009-03-18, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus4181 wrote:
For pictures of a large 4 inch diameter, 4 TPI tap that I sold a long
time ago, see

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis.../ebayhist.html

I'd like to see the tap wrench that goes with it.

This being a coarse thread, I would think that the wrench would be
operated by 2 people and should be 2 meters long.

I thought it looked fine for 12". The immediate thought I had was why
use a tap? The next one was probably it's used for field repair. What
a bear to handle. Whatever you're working on would have to be
vertical. I can't imagine trying to use that thing horizontally.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-18, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus4181 wrote:
For pictures of a large 4 inch diameter, 4 TPI tap that I sold a long
time ago, see

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis.../ebayhist.html

I'd like to see the tap wrench that goes with it.

This being a coarse thread, I would think that the wrench would be
operated by 2 people and should be 2 meters long.

I thought it looked fine for 12". The immediate thought I had was why
use a tap? The next one was probably it's used for field repair. What
a bear to handle. Whatever you're working on would have to be
vertical. I can't imagine trying to use that thing horizontally.

There is a reason why Fermilab surplused it unused. Whoever bought it,
probably did so to have a cute paperweight.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That is a small one to oil field needs.
Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 18, 10:16*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
That is a small one to oil field needs.
Martin

The largest and most expensive custom tools I've seen were at the
Portsmouth NH naval shipyard which overhauls nuclear submarines. They
had an open house on their 200th anniversary. Naturally I couldn't
take any pictures and saw absolutely nothing related to weapons or
nuclear power.

They have to remachine large valves, hatches etc made of titanium and
K-Monel with equipment light enough to hand-carry through the sub.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
That is a small one to oil field needs.
Martin

The largest and most expensive custom tools I've seen were at the
Portsmouth NH naval shipyard which overhauls nuclear submarines. They
had an open house on their 200th anniversary. Naturally I couldn't
take any pictures and saw absolutely nothing related to weapons or
nuclear power.

They have to remachine large valves, hatches etc made of titanium and
K-Monel with equipment light enough to hand-carry through the sub.

Hmm. Things have changed since my grandfather worked there. He was a panel
carver, and his job was carving the decorative relief in mahogany panels
above the hatches of officer's quarters during WWI. g

I still have his tools.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
That is a small one to oil field needs.
Martin

The largest and most expensive custom tools I've seen were at the
Portsmouth NH naval shipyard which overhauls nuclear submarines. They
had an open house on their 200th anniversary. Naturally I couldn't
take any pictures and saw absolutely nothing related to weapons or
nuclear power.

They have to remachine large valves, hatches etc made of titanium and
K-Monel with equipment light enough to hand-carry through the sub.

Hmm. Things have changed since my grandfather worked there. He was a panel
carver, and his job was carving the decorative relief in mahogany panels
above the hatches of officer's quarters during WWI. g

I still have his tools.

The most important change is that it's not in NH anymore. Maine and NH
fought all the way to the Supreme Court over where the boundary in the
Picataqua River lies. Of course taxes -- the ability of Maine to
collect income taxes from New Hampshire residents who work at the yard
-- were at the heart of the dispute.

My wife's cousin worked in there in engineering. He told me that a sub
undergoing a major refit would have quite few holes cut in the hull
for the stuff that couldn't be brought in thru the hatches.

--
Ned Simmons