Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need to drill a hole in a case harden socket set.

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

I take it that it's case harden as my drill bits don't even scratch
the surface.

Thank you all in advance.

Rod
San Francisco
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-03-06, rodjava wrote:
I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

I take it that it's case harden as my drill bits don't even scratch
the surface.

I did drill holes in sockets (3/4" socket)

It does work, but you need good drills, a lot of lubrication, and
withdraw a lot to make sure you do not overheat the drill bit edge.

My attempts to drill a Proto socket extension, though, were not as
successful.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rodjava writes:

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

EDM. There used to be a small one called a tap remover or similar.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rodjava wrote:

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

Carbide drill works fine. I modify a number of sockets to fit the pin locks on our
assembly guns.

You do want to hold socket rigidly and have a drill press without runout. Carbide drills
don't flex.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it's only one, how about using a grindstone in a Dremel tool?
I wouldn't think the socket would be case hardened; it's not a wear
issue. I'd assume the material would be hard all the way through.
If the socket IS case hardened, then the case should only be 20 or 30
thou deep.

One other thought: Don't break the set up. Get a cheap set to do this
to, or do as I do:
Get just the socket you need at a flea market or at any Pawn Shop.

Pete Stanaitis

rodjava wrote:

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

I take it that it's case harden as my drill bits don't even scratch
the surface.

Thank you all in advance.

Rod
San Francisco

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 6, 4:05*pm, rodjava wrote:
I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

I take it that it's case harden as my drill bits don't even scratch
the surface.

Thank you all in advance.

Rod
San Francisco

While we're on the subject, how many here have at least one extension
ground as a 'wobble extension'?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
If it's only one, how about using a grindstone in a Dremel tool?
I wouldn't think the socket would be case hardened; it's not a wear
issue. I'd assume the material would be hard all the way through.
If the socket IS case hardened, then the case should only be 20 or 30
thou deep.

Those sockets usually are made of proprietary tool steel that's high in
vanadium, and heat treated for fairly high toughness (thus, the vanadium).
Good ones are not case hardened.

It's tough material to cut and will wreck ordinary HSS drill bits unless you
get everything right.

rodjava wrote:

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

I take it that it's case harden as my drill bits don't even scratch
the surface.

Thank you all in advance.

Rod
San Francisco

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I second this suggestion and the advice about a rigid set up. I will add
that you might have good luck with a stub length carbide tipped drill as
this will give you a little wiggle room and they do not snap as easily as
the solid carbide (cheaper too).

See:
P/N 2750A11
Carbide-Tipped Short-Length Twist Drill Bit 1/8" Drill Size, 1-7/8" L
Overall, 7/8" L Flute
In stock at $13.04 Each

at Mcmaster Carr for an example.

When drilling you need to run a bit faster than with HSS in regular steel
and it is also important not to let the bit drag or bounce.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Wes" wrote in message
rodjava wrote:

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

Carbide drill works fine. I modify a number of sockets to fit the pin

locks on our
assembly guns.

You do want to hold socket rigidly and have a drill press without runout.

Carbide drills
don't flex.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

When drilling you need to run a bit faster than with HSS in regular steel
and it is also important not to let the bit drag or bounce.

By bounce, I'm thinking you meant, not take a big feed when passing though. I meant to
mention that. If feeding manually, do your best to keep it constant when passing though
the other side of the material.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I may have some solid carbide drills for sale, between 1/8 and 1/4 in
size.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:05:27 -0800 (PST), rodjava
wrote:

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

I take it that it's case harden as my drill bits don't even scratch
the surface.

Thank you all in advance.

Rod
San Francisco

Hey Rod,

EDM....Still Magic.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Treat it like glass; use a brass tube and some abrasive slurry.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Politics is a sinkhole for
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : people without hobbies...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:21:44 +0000, David Lesher wrote:

rodjava writes:

I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

EDM. There used to be a small one called a tap remover or similar.

AKA "plunge EDM", and it can be used for more than removing taps.

Look around on this web site: http://www.modelenginenews.org/. They have
links to plans (and kits, I think) for a homebrew plunge EDM setup.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 6, 1:05*pm, rodjava wrote:
I have a Craftsmans socket set and I need to drill a hole into one of
the sockets.

I take it that it's case harden as my drill bits don't even scratch
the surface.

Probably (as others have said) hard clear through... and
chrome plated.

One option no one has mentioned is grinding; a slow rotating
brass tube charged with water/glycerine/grit (alumina
or carbide grit) will go through a hard material relatively
quickly. Rock, glass, or hard metal, the soft tube
embeds grit, scratches at the hard material, and when
the work is over, the brass hasn't lost as much material
as the hard target. Because it's a tube, you only need
to grind away a small fraction of the hole volume.

Catch the grit slurry in a cup, regularly dip a brush into
the cup and paint into the hole... and pump the drill a
lot to clear the waste.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd fired this volley in news:3999a86b-0b3e-
:

One option no one has mentioned is grinding;

I came in late on this one. Did anyone mention a Rockwell drill?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 7, 6:14*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
whit3rd fired this volley in news:3999a86b-0b3e-
:

One option no one has mentioned is grinding;

I came in late on this one. *Did anyone mention a Rockwell drill?

LLoyd

Thank you to everybody who gave advice.
Fortunetly, I only have 1 socket that I need to drill a hole in.

I'm going to go the carbide drill bit method next week and will let
you know how it turns out.

Again, thank you to everybody for your help.

Rod
San Francisco