Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Drill leaks electricity to case

"Ignoramus3408" wrote in message
I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/450-rpm-drill.jpg

When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
pops the GFCI breaker. The leak is substantial, I believe, however
when plugged into a regular breaker (and handled with caution
appropriate for leaks to case), it actually works and does not blow
the breaker. So, I think, the leak is limited in extent.

You need to fix that leak. There's only so much electricity in those
drills, and if it all leaks out, it won't run any more.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Dave Lyon

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

"Ignoramus3408" wrote in message
I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/450-rpm-drill.jpg

When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
pops the GFCI breaker. The leak is substantial, I believe, however
when plugged into a regular breaker (and handled with caution
appropriate for leaks to case), it actually works and does not blow
the breaker. So, I think, the leak is limited in extent.

You need to fix that leak. There's only so much electricity in those
drills, and if it all leaks out, it won't run any more.

LLoyd

That's really a common misconception. Electronics, and anything else
electrical actually work on smoke. We know this to be true, cause once you
let all the smoke out, they stop working.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

"Ignoramus3408" wrote in message
I have this Black and Decker 450 RPM drill:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/450-rpm-drill.jpg

When plugged into a GFCI outlet, it leaks electricity to ground and
pops the GFCI breaker. The leak is substantial, I believe, however
when plugged into a regular breaker (and handled with caution
appropriate for leaks to case), it actually works and does not blow
the breaker. So, I think, the leak is limited in extent.

You need to fix that leak. There's only so much electricity in those
drills, and if it all leaks out, it won't run any more.

LLoyd

That's really a common misconception. Electronics, and anything else
electrical actually work on smoke. We know this to be true, cause once you
let all the smoke out, they stop working.

I agree! I can't think of even one time when the smoke got out that the
tool in question still worked.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:58:51 -0800, "Harold and Susan
Vordos" wrote:

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message

[...]

Mine worked after I put the AC input wire back together. I
think maybe the color of the smoke is the key. Certain
kinds/colors of smoke are more important than others ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Building a Mag Drill Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 5 January 6th 05 04:10 AM
deep hole question Bill Chernoff Metalworking 14 June 18th 04 05:36 PM
Need to drill 1" deep .138 hole STRAIGHT. HOW? Pete & sheri Metalworking 23 January 1st 04 11:32 PM
Core drills David Hearn UK diy 14 October 25th 03 07:40 PM
Mill drill, or drill mill? Gary Coffman Metalworking 10 July 18th 03 03:55 AM