Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone has deep understanding of compressed air dryers?

At the moment, I have two compressed air dryers.

One is the one I had for a few years, it is a 15 CFM dryer, whose
brand I do not recall. What I know is that if I open up a valve
downstream of, the air gushes through it in huge quantities.

The other is a bigger, 25 CFM rated dryer by Speedaire, which I
thought I would use to upgrade my existing one.

If I simply connect a 1/4" line to the Speedaire, and have nothing
blocking the other end, the air comes out of if, robustly, but the
flow is nothing like on the 15 CFM dryer. It probably is 25 CFM, at
least, but it feels as though the line is obstructed, at least I was
expecting a lot more flow.

This 25 CFM Speedaire has a feature (heat exchanger) that transfers
coldness from outgoing air into the incoming air.

So, my question is, is that normal behavior at all, do heat exchangers
add quite a bit to "obstruction", or is there possibly something with
this air dryer.

If you think that it is a problem, and you have seen it before, I
would love to know what might cause an obstruction like that, maybe a
bug that crawled in there.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19022 fired this volley
in :

So, my question is, is that normal behavior at all, do heat

exchangers
add quite a bit to "obstruction", or is there possibly something

with
this air dryer.

If you think that it is a problem, and you have seen it before, I
would love to know what might cause an obstruction like that, maybe

bug that crawled in there.

Think of an air dryer as simply a refrigerated pipe. Ideally, it
should cause no more obstruction or friction resistance to flow than
would any piece of pipe that size (with numerous bends in it).

If a 25CFM dryer can't handle a 1/4" fitting, there's obviously
"stuff" in the line -- which is _probably_ why it was offered for sale
in the first place.

Bugs, maybe. Corrosion is likely if the exchanger isn't stainless
steel. Try reversing the flow at a high pressure, and open the
"inlet" as wide as the fitting will allow. You might blow the
obstruction out the way it came in.

There are probably more bends in the lines than would permit you to
"roto-rooter" it out. But if the lines are made of stainless, you
could conceivably clean them with acid OR a strong base. Acid if it's
mineral, base if it's organic.

We had a combination dryer/water chiller at the injection molding
outfit I worked for. It had replaceable exchanger coils for each
purpose, immersed in a brine bath that was itself chilled by the
actual refrigeration evaporator. That was a good design for long-term
maintainability.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

The reason why I suspect bugs is that I kept it outside for 2.5 months.

At least you confirm that something bogus is going on.

I did already try reversing air and it did not help.

There are probably more bends in the lines than would permit you to
"roto-rooter" it out. But if the lines are made of stainless, you
could conceivably clean them with acid OR a strong base. Acid if it's
mineral, base if it's organic.

We had a combination dryer/water chiller at the injection molding
outfit I worked for. It had replaceable exchanger coils for each
purpose, immersed in a brine bath that was itself chilled by the
actual refrigeration evaporator. That was a good design for long-term
maintainability.

I will take it apart and see, I think.

Thanks Lloyd, now I at least know that I have a problem.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus19022" wrote in message
On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Before you take it all apart, I'd try adapting a garden hose fitting to the
outlet of the dryer. Maybe some mud daubers got in there. If so, the water
will dissolve there nest and flush it out. You may have to let it "soak"
under pressure for awhile.

Peace
Milo
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/mholroyd/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Great idea. I will try it for sure. Thanks.

Peace
Milo
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/mholroyd/

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19022 fired this volley
in :

The reason why I suspect bugs is that I kept it outside for 2.5

months.

NOT "bugs"... Mud Daubers, specifically. Run water (preferrably hot)
through the lines.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus19022 fired this volley
in :

The reason why I suspect bugs is that I kept it outside for 2.5

months.

NOT "bugs"... Mud Daubers, specifically. Run water (preferrably hot)
through the lines.

Yes. I do not know what it is. It was in Illinois between Dec. 7 and
Feb 10 or so. We had some warm days also. Might be some debris from
trees. The hot water idea is a good one, anyway.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

I have also seen dual bed dessicant dryers in instrument air service
in Texas. It would be good to be sure it's not one of those before
you put the water hose to it.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-26, Pete Keillor wrote:
I have also seen dual bed dessicant dryers in instrument air service
in Texas. It would be good to be sure it's not one of those before
you put the water hose to it.

It should be the one with a little refrigerator inside.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19022 fired this volley
in :

It should be the one with a little refrigerator inside.

A 25CFM dryer might be a "little refrigerator" in terms of package size,
but the (refrigeration) compressor should be a real honker.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19022 wrote:
[...]

Both of these are refrigerated air dryers, not
dessicant type? The dessicant ones definitely
will act like an obstruction.

There are a million designs to the refrigerated
type. Pretty much all of them use some kind of
heat exchange, or the little compressor could
never keep the cold chamber cold when a lot of hot
air is flowing. Depending on how many loops of
tubing there are in the exchanger as to how much
restriction it causes. The thing may also have an
orifice to develop high velocities inside to help
separate water from the air.

Quite possible bugs, spider webs, or just plain
corrosion, oil/water emulsion or whatever has
dried in the tubing. It might be possible to rod
it out with a wire.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus19022 fired this volley
in :

It should be the one with a little refrigerator inside.

A 25CFM dryer might be a "little refrigerator" in terms of package size,
but the (refrigeration) compressor should be a real honker.

Yes, it weighs a lot.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus19022 fired this volley
om:

[...]

Milohttp://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/mholroyd/- Hide quoted text -

Good idea.

You may have to wait days for it to work.

I had a similar problem...about 2 days for it to work itself out.

Bear in mind that your part of the country is still seeing freezing
temperatures...leaving water in these can damage them if it freezes.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:10:36 -0500, "Milo" milo@oil filter.hughes.net

"Ignoramus19022" wrote in message
m...
On 2009-02-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

I agree.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Compressed Air Bill Woodworking 37 January 28th 09 12:48 AM
OT­compressed air dryers Smitty Two Home Repair 5 May 10th 08 05:27 PM
Gun for compressed air Greg Esres Home Repair 14 January 4th 06 02:08 AM
Evaporator coils for compressed air dryers Wayne Cook Metalworking 15 August 26th 05 05:04 PM
Compressed Air Dryers Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 6 September 9th 04 05:03 AM