Wayne Cook

Default Evaporator coils for compressed air dryers

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:16:12 GMT, Ignoramus19820
wrote:

I was highly impressed with use of evaporator coils for drying
compressed air.

I called a few HVAC contrators from yellow pages, and, unfortunately,
none of them could give me anything. I would like to hear some
creative ideas on where to get them.

Actually I think your idea of a automotive condenser coil is good.
One out of large pickup or even a truck. Make it up with one of those
and mount it in front of the pulley on the air compressor so that it
moves air through it and I think you'd be in good shape. If it proves
to be to small you can always go and get another one.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ignoramus19820" wrote in message
I will check it out... Is it rated for appropriate PSI? (say 200 PSI)

I've forgotten what R-12 and R-134A run at, but 'normal' pressure for an
R-22 system is about 225 on the high side (condensor). So I'd say it was
working in the safe range for drying air.

LLoyd

tim

I had a freind make a air dryer for his shop , He took a small water
heater took it apart
cut it in half .Then he took small room dehumidifier emptyed the freon
out of it and put the evaporator coils
inside the tank. Then he weled it all back up recharged the
dehumidifier put the insulation back around the
tank .It works great it keeps the air around 35 deg. I an not sure how
he emptys all the water that codensis
in the bottom of the tank but i can hear it let some air out abour
every hour.

Grant Erwin

Ignoramus19820 wrote:

I was highly impressed with use of evaporator coils for drying
compressed air.

I called a few HVAC contrators from yellow pages, and, unfortunately,
none of them could give me anything. I would like to hear some
creative ideas on where to get them.

There's a huge (240 cfm) Arrow air dryer on my local craigslist (Bothell, WA) --
the seller wants $400 and would probably take $250.

GWE
Wayne Cook

wrote:

I was highly impressed with use of evaporator coils for drying
compressed air.

I called a few HVAC contrators from yellow pages, and, unfortunately,
none of them could give me anything. I would like to hear some
creative ideas on where to get them.

Actually I think your idea of a automotive condenser coil is good.
One out of large pickup or even a truck. Make it up with one of those
and mount it in front of the pulley on the air compressor so that it
moves air through it and I think you'd be in good shape. If it proves
to be to small you can always go and get another one.

I will check it out... Is it rated for appropriate PSI? (say 200 PSI)

Easily. Pop off pressure on R-12 is generally 350 PSI. By using the
condenser instead of the evaporator you're using the component made to
take that pressure.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Nick Müller

Ignoramus19820 wrote:

I was highly impressed with use of evaporator coils for drying
compressed air.

Can you enlighten me, please?

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

B.B.

In article ,
Ignoramus19820 wrote:

I was highly impressed with use of evaporator coils for drying
compressed air.

I called a few HVAC contrators from yellow pages, and, unfortunately,
none of them could give me anything. I would like to hear some
creative ideas on where to get them.

Don't use the evaporator. First, it's a mother****er to get out of a
car or anything else; second, it can't take a lot of pressure. Instead,
use the condenser--it'll be at the front of a car, right before the
radiator, and it's designed to withstand up to about 4-500psi before
bursting. If you pull one out of a compact car it'll even come with a
12VDC fan or two bolted on it, ready to go.
Find some friends with junker cars that have failed AC systems, and
ask if you can buy the components from them for a few bucks. Or go to
an automotive grave yard. Hell, at the rate you're scrounging, buy a
whole piece of **** car and part it out on ebay, keeping whatever you
find useful.
Usually the condenser will have two hoses with bolt-on flanges to
attach the hoses or hard lines. Go ahead and cut out the ends of the
lines and take 'em out right along with the condenser. That way you'll
have them to take to an AC shop and get some lines made that you can tie
into your air system. Or just braze your own fittings right onto the
condenser's lines.
Some Fords (and maybe Chevys--can't remember) will have what are
called "spring lock" connectors. With those you need a special tool to
disengage the spring so you can pull loose the lines. If you don't mind
destroying them, just cut the connectors off with a tubing cutter, or
dig out the spring with a pick. I think you can get new springs from
auto parts stores, but check on that before you rely on it.
Use some rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner and a blast of compressed
air to flush out the condenser so you don't wind up with an odd aroma
coming out of your air system. Nothing harmful, just a funky,
unpleasant smell.
You could do mass overkill: see if you can snag an outdoor condenser
unit from somebody's home AC system. It's huge, comes with a fan, and
handles completely absurd pressures. Of course, freebies are hard to
(legally) find, and since you're up north it'll be that much harder.
But if you get a chance to nab one (or even a window unit) jump.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
carl mciver

"B.B." u wrote in message
newsoNotSpamthegoat4-
SNIP

| Don't use the evaporator. First, it's a mother****er to get out of a
| car or anything else; second, it can't take a lot of pressure. Instead,
| use the condenser--it'll be at the front of a car, right before the
| radiator, and it's designed to withstand up to about 4-500psi before
| bursting. If you pull one out of a compact car it'll even come with a
| 12VDC fan or two bolted on it, ready to go.
SNIP

So, what difference would there be if I were just to hang it from the
wall in my garage, with some airspace around it (hell, even tilted away from
the wall a bit) and let it work as a passive device? My compressor is just
a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank.
I've got one or two condensers from a couple cars I've parted out. How
worth it is to plumb one between the compressor and the tank? I'd have to
attach it to the tank somehow, but wouldn't that be more efficient than on
the outlet of the tank? There would have to be a large pipe to act as a
collection point, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get to for
emptying instead of reaching to the bottom and having it splatter crap all
over the floor!

Wayne Cook

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:29:04 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
newsoNotSpamthegoat4-
SNIP

| Don't use the evaporator. First, it's a mother****er to get out of a
| car or anything else; second, it can't take a lot of pressure. Instead,
| use the condenser--it'll be at the front of a car, right before the
| radiator, and it's designed to withstand up to about 4-500psi before
| bursting. If you pull one out of a compact car it'll even come with a
| 12VDC fan or two bolted on it, ready to go.
SNIP

So, what difference would there be if I were just to hang it from the
wall in my garage, with some airspace around it (hell, even tilted away from
the wall a bit) and let it work as a passive device? My compressor is just
a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank.
I've got one or two condensers from a couple cars I've parted out. How
worth it is to plumb one between the compressor and the tank? I'd have to
attach it to the tank somehow, but wouldn't that be more efficient than on
the outlet of the tank? There would have to be a large pipe to act as a
collection point, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get to for
emptying instead of reaching to the bottom and having it splatter crap all
over the floor!

Any method will work. But the more airflow the better it works. I
support attaching to the compressor itself and let the pulley do the
air flow.

Keep in mind that it will produce a lot of water. You'll want to
have a small tank or large piece of pipe to collect the water before
your 80 gallon tank. You can also do like I have and put a NO solenoid
valve in the bottom and let it be the unloader (disconnect the
original).

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Gunner

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:59:46 -0500, "B.B."
u wrote:

You could do mass overkill: see if you can snag an outdoor condenser
unit from somebody's home AC system. It's huge, comes with a fan, and
handles completely absurd pressures. Of course, freebies are hard to
(legally) find, and since you're up north it'll be that much harder.
But if you get a chance to nab one (or even a window unit) jump.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

I had one from a failed airconditioner on my house that took me 3 yrs
to get rid of. I finally hauled it to the dump. Would have made a
pretty decent condenser, but for that big assed 220volt fan spinning
the electric meter.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:29:04 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
newsoNotSpamthegoat4-
SNIP

| Don't use the evaporator. First, it's a mother****er to get out of a
| car or anything else; second, it can't take a lot of pressure. Instead,
| use the condenser--it'll be at the front of a car, right before the
| radiator, and it's designed to withstand up to about 4-500psi before
| bursting. If you pull one out of a compact car it'll even come with a
| 12VDC fan or two bolted on it, ready to go.
SNIP

So, what difference would there be if I were just to hang it from the
wall in my garage, with some airspace around it (hell, even tilted away from
the wall a bit) and let it work as a passive device? My compressor is just
a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank.
I've got one or two condensers from a couple cars I've parted out. How
worth it is to plumb one between the compressor and the tank? I'd have to
attach it to the tank somehow, but wouldn't that be more efficient than on
the outlet of the tank? There would have to be a large pipe to act as a
collection point, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get to for
emptying instead of reaching to the bottom and having it splatter crap all
over the floor!

Do like Ingersol-Rand and most other manufactures do. Mount the
condenser (after cooler ) on the guard over the fly wheel of the
compressor, so the fan built into the flywheel (pump pulley) pulls air
though the condenser, and pump it into the tank. The water falls out
inside the tank, and is drained normally. You Can put a hose on that
drain and run it outside....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
carl mciver

"carl mciver" wrote in message
k.net...
SNIP

| So, what difference would there be if I were just to hang it from the
| wall in my garage, with some airspace around it (hell, even tilted away
from
| the wall a bit) and let it work as a passive device? My compressor is
just
| a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank.
| I've got one or two condensers from a couple cars I've parted out.
How
| worth it is to plumb one between the compressor and the tank? I'd have to
| attach it to the tank somehow, but wouldn't that be more efficient than on
| the outlet of the tank? There would have to be a large pipe to act as a
| collection point, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get to for
| emptying instead of reaching to the bottom and having it splatter crap all
| over the floor!

I just drug it out to see how well it flowed and to blow it out. Pretty
decent condenser, but wouldn't flow near as much as the airline I was
blowing out with. I could either get a second one or find a bigger one.
I'll have to visit a junkyard and see what's out there.

B.B.

In article t,
"carl mciver" wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
newsoNotSpamthegoat4-
SNIP

| Don't use the evaporator. First, it's a mother****er to get out of a
| car or anything else; second, it can't take a lot of pressure. Instead,
| use the condenser--it'll be at the front of a car, right before the
| radiator, and it's designed to withstand up to about 4-500psi before
| bursting. If you pull one out of a compact car it'll even come with a
| 12VDC fan or two bolted on it, ready to go.
SNIP

So, what difference would there be if I were just to hang it from the
wall in my garage, with some airspace around it (hell, even tilted away from
the wall a bit) and let it work as a passive device? My compressor is just
a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank.
I've got one or two condensers from a couple cars I've parted out. How
worth it is to plumb one between the compressor and the tank? I'd have to
attach it to the tank somehow, but wouldn't that be more efficient than on
the outlet of the tank? There would have to be a large pipe to act as a
collection point, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get to for
emptying instead of reaching to the bottom and having it splatter crap all
over the floor!

If you use it passively it just won't cool as quickly or as much.
It's easy enough to experiment with. Hook it all up and with the
compressor pumping feel the outlet of the condenser. If it's hot you
need a fan, if it's not you're OK. Either adding a fan or adding more
condenser area will lower the temperature of the outlet.
I would pipe it in between the compressor and the tank, so water
collects in the tank and the restrictiveness of the condenser's lines
isn't an issue when actually using the air--only when pumping. You
could run a line from the bottom of the tank itself to a convenient
place with a purge valve for the water. As long as you plumb in at the
bottom of the tank it'll happily blow the gunk right through the line to
wherever you want, even above the tank itself.
You mentioned in your other message looking for one with better
airflow. Pretty much all single-tube condensers will have thin tubing
to withstand high pressures. There are some out there with parallel
passages, but you'll need to be more thorough cleaning them since you
can't just blow the gunk out. You'd probably need to plumb it into a
parts washer and pump it out with it submerged for a few hours to make
sure you clear all of the passages. (of course, if you get it out of a
sealed clean AC system you can skip all of that) Or, like you said,
find a second one then put 'em in parallel.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Martin H. Eastburn

And to add to Gunners add a hose to the bottom exit - I'd like to add this :

1. drop the tank pressure to almost zero if not. It runs out just fine.
If a little pressure exists then splatter can occur. High pressure rust isn't nice.
If you do have a pressure release valve like I do on my tall tank
then add a muffler/filter to the exhaust - like I did - I turn the ball valve
and hear a sound but not ear splitting. It makes taking off high pressure
hoses easier and in some cases safer.

2. If you run a hose - you could add an electric switch to dump it. Think Washing machine
spare part - control valve with rubber hose connectors (I think it is a bleach port)..

This way then allows you to press and control from a safe distance or an inside spot
on a rainy or icy day and the tank needs purging.

Sounds so good, I might do it. I have said value in my stores.

Another concept is to use an automatic switch - maybe some water control - rain bird...

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:29:04 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
newsoNotSpamthegoat4-

SNIP

| Don't use the evaporator. First, it's a mother****er to get out of a
| car or anything else; second, it can't take a lot of pressure. Instead,
| use the condenser--it'll be at the front of a car, right before the
| radiator, and it's designed to withstand up to about 4-500psi before
| bursting. If you pull one out of a compact car it'll even come with a
| 12VDC fan or two bolted on it, ready to go.

SNIP

So, what difference would there be if I were just to hang it from the
wall in my garage, with some airspace around it (hell, even tilted away from
the wall a bit) and let it work as a passive device? My compressor is just
a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank.
I've got one or two condensers from a couple cars I've parted out. How
worth it is to plumb one between the compressor and the tank? I'd have to
attach it to the tank somehow, but wouldn't that be more efficient than on
the outlet of the tank? There would have to be a large pipe to act as a
collection point, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get to for
emptying instead of reaching to the bottom and having it splatter crap all
over the floor!

Do like Ingersol-Rand and most other manufactures do. Mount the
condenser (after cooler ) on the guard over the fly wheel of the
compressor, so the fan built into the flywheel (pump pulley) pulls air
though the condenser, and pump it into the tank. The water falls out
inside the tank, and is drained normally. You Can put a hose on that
drain and run it outside....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

michael

u wrote:

You could do mass overkill: see if you can snag an outdoor condenser
unit from somebody's home AC system. It's huge, comes with a fan, and
handles completely absurd pressures. Of course, freebies are hard to
(legally) find, and since you're up north it'll be that much harder.
But if you get a chance to nab one (or even a window unit) jump.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

I had one from a failed airconditioner on my house that took me 3 yrs
to get rid of. I finally hauled it to the dump. Would have made a
pretty decent condenser, but for that big assed 220volt fan spinning
the electric meter.

Gunner

Another tank added inline works very nicely to seperate water. Doesn't
cost anything to 'run'.

michael