Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Bush Economy, 20FEB09

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:24:00 -0600, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Buerste wrote:

AR-15s are WAY too expensive! 5.56 is an OK round, cheap(used to be) and
plentiful(used to be) and good for bartering but AKSs are more appropriate
for more things. If you have to have a .223, get a Mini-14. 9mm ammo is
the other standard, so get something that uses those. And, get a couple of
.22s.

Better to stick with the AK than a Mini-14, accuracy is about the same
and the 7.62X39 is a more useful short range round.

True enough..but on the other hand,,,,,having x39 "fall off the back of
the truck" is not very likely, after things go into the terlet.

OK, but will you be able to find Mini-14 mags or parts as easily as
for the "AR-15"?

Consider 7.62NATO, safe to use in .308Win rifles and still the
standard for MGs that don't have to be carried.

David

When you absolutely need to reach out, reach out and touch someone.

Never an option with an AK or a Mini-14. Ever notice how the A Team
shot up the neighborhood with their Ruger AC556ks and never hit
anything? The only realism on the show.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Buerste wrote:

AR-15s are WAY too expensive! 5.56 is an OK round, cheap(used to be) and
plentiful(used to be) and good for bartering but AKSs are more appropriate
for more things. If you have to have a .223, get a Mini-14. 9mm ammo is
the other standard, so get something that uses those. And, get a couple of
.22s.
Better to stick with the AK than a Mini-14, accuracy is about the same
and the 7.62X39 is a more useful short range round.

True enough..but on the other hand,,,,,having x39 "fall off the back of
the truck" is not very likely, after things go into the terlet.

OK, but will you be able to find Mini-14 mags or parts as easily as
for the "AR-15"?

No indeed. Since they are not normally a consumable like ammo..you buy
sufficient magazines and parts before hand. You can cannibalize 2
weapons to make one good one. You cannot cannibalize two fired rounds
and make a good one.

Consider 7.62NATO, safe to use in .308Win rifles and still the
standard for MGs that don't have to be carried.

David

When you absolutely need to reach out, reach out and touch someone.

Never an option with an AK or a Mini-14. Ever notice how the A Team
shot up the neighborhood with their Ruger AC556ks and never hit
anything? The only realism on the show.

David

Care to stand 400 meters down range and flip me the bird while I
unlimber either a AK or a Mini 14?

VEG

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Buerste wrote:

AR-15s are WAY too expensive! 5.56 is an OK round, cheap(used to be) and
plentiful(used to be) and good for bartering but AKSs are more appropriate
for more things. If you have to have a .223, get a Mini-14. 9mm ammo is
the other standard, so get something that uses those. And, get a couple of
.22s.
Better to stick with the AK than a Mini-14, accuracy is about the same
and the 7.62X39 is a more useful short range round.
True enough..but on the other hand,,,,,having x39 "fall off the back of
the truck" is not very likely, after things go into the terlet.

OK, but will you be able to find Mini-14 mags or parts as easily as
for the "AR-15"?

No indeed. Since they are not normally a consumable like ammo..you buy
sufficient magazines and parts before hand.

Good for the short run, I'm looking a bit further ahead.

You can cannibalize 2 weapons to make one good one. You cannot cannibalize two fired rounds
and make a good one.

If you cannibalize two Mini-14s to make one, you still won't have a
good one. G

Consider 7.62NATO, safe to use in .308Win rifles and still the
standard for MGs that don't have to be carried.

David
When you absolutely need to reach out, reach out and touch someone.

Never an option with an AK or a Mini-14. Ever notice how the A Team
shot up the neighborhood with their Ruger AC556ks and never hit
anything? The only realism on the show.

David

Care to stand 400 meters down range and flip me the bird while I
unlimber either a AK or a Mini 14?

Not a problem, as long as I also get my choice of weapons, or at least
an AR-15.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Buerste wrote:

AR-15s are WAY too expensive! 5.56 is an OK round, cheap(used to be) and
plentiful(used to be) and good for bartering but AKSs are more appropriate
for more things. If you have to have a .223, get a Mini-14. 9mm ammo is
the other standard, so get something that uses those. And, get a couple of
.22s.
Better to stick with the AK than a Mini-14, accuracy is about the same
and the 7.62X39 is a more useful short range round.
True enough..but on the other hand,,,,,having x39 "fall off the back of
the truck" is not very likely, after things go into the terlet.
OK, but will you be able to find Mini-14 mags or parts as easily as
for the "AR-15"?

No indeed. Since they are not normally a consumable like ammo..you buy
sufficient magazines and parts before hand.

Good for the short run, I'm looking a bit further ahead.

????

[...]

If you are armed...it just becomes imperative that I dont simply wing
you. Be careful of what you wish for.

Are you now claiming that one can actually hit something with an AK or
Mini, at range? G

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

No indeed. Since they are not normally a consumable like ammo..you buy
sufficient magazines and parts before hand.

Good for the short run, I'm looking a bit further ahead.

????

When the fit hits the shan, it'll be flying for a long time.

Care to stand 400 meters down range and flip me the bird while I
unlimber either a AK or a Mini 14?

Not a problem, as long as I also get my choice of weapons, or at least
an AR-15.

David

If you are armed...it just becomes imperative that I dont simply wing
you. Be careful of what you wish for.

OK. Taking fire tends to aid concentration. Your AK/Mini-14 vs my
AR-15? NBD.

Are you now claiming that one can actually hit something with an AK or
Mini, at range? G

Sure, the bullet will eventually hit SOMETHING, probably the ground.
My best AK shoots 4" at 100 yards, not something I'd use on a 400
meter target, but that's why the SVD was developed.

David