Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Collet Repair

A tool grinding machine I purchased on ebay came with a distorted master
collet. Two of the "fingers" are bent in about .030" making it
difficult if not impossible to get the "slave" collets to fit. I assume
this happened because it was clamped for an extended time with nothing
in the master collet.

Does anyone have any experience repairing this. I would guess it will
require annealing, straightening and heat treating again. Finding a
replacement is doubtful.

Fred

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ff" wrote in message
A tool grinding machine I purchased on ebay came with a distorted
master collet. Two of the "fingers" are bent in about .030" making it
difficult if not impossible to get the "slave" collets to fit. I
assume this happened because it was clamped for an extended time with
nothing in the master collet.

Does anyone have any experience repairing this. I would guess it will
require annealing, straightening and heat treating again. Finding a
replacement is doubtful.

Fred

Never mind :{}

All I needed was a bigger (lead) hammer.