Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 5C Collet Question

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 7, 5:10*pm, Pete Keillor wrote:
What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? *I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Pete Keillor

Mine is a Royal, probably bought for $5 used, that measures 1.010"
near the threads.

jw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 17:10:09 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Pete Keillor

1 inch should go through. Some cheap collets, even the ones without
internal threads, will not pass 1 inch diameter stock. You can hone
yous]rs out with a brake cylinder hone. Or bore it with carbide and
polish the threads to remove the burrs. Rubberized abrasives, e.g.
Cratex, would work well for cleaning up the threads.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ERS sez:
"1 inch should go through. Some cheap collets, even the ones without
internal threads, will not pass 1 inch diameter stock. You can hone
yous]rs out with a brake cylinder hone. Or bore it with carbide and
polish the threads to remove the burrs. Rubberized abrasives, e.g.
Cratex, would work well for cleaning up the threads."

Tht sounds about right; mine, a Royal, measures 1.001" inside the threads. It would be a lot easier
to use a 4 jaw chuck.

Bob Swinney

wrote:

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Pete Keillor

ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:23:09 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

ERS sez:
"1 inch should go through. Some cheap collets, even the ones without
internal threads, will not pass 1 inch diameter stock. You can hone
yous]rs out with a brake cylinder hone. Or bore it with carbide and
polish the threads to remove the burrs. Rubberized abrasives, e.g.
Cratex, would work well for cleaning up the threads."

Tht sounds about right; mine, a Royal, measures 1.001" inside the threads. It would be a lot easier
to use a 4 jaw chuck.

Bob Swinney

I can get enough in to use it, I just have to cut the stock first. I
may try boring it. A four jaw would certainly work, but I prefer a
collet when I can use it. Less overhang, less chance of marring the
finish, less stuff whirling around, faster to get concentric.

Pete Keillor

wrote:

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Pete Keillor

ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Pete Keillor fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sat, 07 Feb 2009 17:10:09 -0500:

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Pete Keillor

At work we have up to 1.062 5C collets. No internal threads though.
--

Dan H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-07, Pete Keillor wrote:
What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Normally, 1" *should* pass through -- but I had to turn the
crest off of threads on a cheapie.

The *will* hold short pieces up to 1-1/8" but not pass that
through the spindle.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 Feb 2009 04:10:04 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-02-07, Pete Keillor wrote:
What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

Normally, 1" *should* pass through -- but I had to turn the
crest off of threads on a cheapie.

The *will* hold short pieces up to 1-1/8" but not pass that
through the spindle.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Sounds like mine. Thanks for the input everybody.

I'll try a light boring job on it after this project. I need to bore
the handle for a cleaning rod for my 450 Marlin. I'm making a rod out
of 3/8" stainless. I've got the ball bearings fitted to the rod, just
need to bore the handle, cut off and thread the business end.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor writes:

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet?

According to Machinery's Handbook 26th p 972:

1.063 round
0.906 hex
0.750 square
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

What's the largest diameter stock which can be passed through a
standard 5C collet? I can't pass 1" through mine, but it's a cheapo.
The internal thread is 1.042" x 24 tpi, so it seems a 1" should just
barely pass.

I've turned a lot of 12L14 drops that were 1". Can't remember if the collet was Buck,
Royal, or Hardinge. The collet rack has a mixed lot of collets.

No problems passing though the collet.

Wes