Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default M head collet question

I was given an M head with a Rockwell mill I bought, the M head had no
collets. I cut the tang off a MT2 drill to see how it fit (I didn't think it
would) and the MT2 is to small it goes up in the spindle a bit. So it looks
like this is either a BS 7 taper or perhaps a bridgeport taper. So whats the
best way to determine the taper without a bunch of collets to test?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/collet.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"wayne mak" wrote in message
I was given an M head with a Rockwell mill I bought, the M head had no
collets. I cut the tang off a MT2 drill to see how it fit (I didn't think
it would) and the MT2 is to small it goes up in the spindle a bit. So it
looks like this is either a BS 7 taper or perhaps a bridgeport taper. So
whats the best way to determine the taper without a bunch of collets to
test?

You can determine the taper, or you can buy reasonably-priced replacement
collets for the M head, at least in the US, from the folks at MSC industrial
supply.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne,
if the nose opening at the very bottom measures 0.730" diameter (as
mine does)
then it might be a BS7 (definetly not MT2).
Be aware that there is a third size. B3
I have never seen one of these, however.
RichD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:39:26 -0500, "wayne mak"
wrote:

I was given an M head with a Rockwell mill I bought, the M head had no
collets. I cut the tang off a MT2 drill to see how it fit (I didn't think it
would) and the MT2 is to small it goes up in the spindle a bit. So it looks
like this is either a BS 7 taper or perhaps a bridgeport taper. So whats the
best way to determine the taper without a bunch of collets to test?

Its likely to be a 7 taper. Few BP tapers were ever used

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

..725 at mouth, the draw bar is smaller diameter than R8. Looks to be a BS
#7, so thats not great but not the worst. Not sure if I will use the head.
"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On 22 Mar 2006 09:40:52 -0800, wrote:

Wayne,
if the nose opening at the very bottom measures 0.730" diameter (as
mine does)
then it might be a BS7 (definetly not MT2).
Be aware that there is a third size. B3
I have never seen one of these, however.
RichD

The B3 ID is about 0.77" (just checked mine). The taper is short, and
similar to R8, only smaller. The draw bolt is same as R8. If you're
lucky, it'll be one of the others.

Pete Keillor

How to best mount certain tooling in Clausing mill with MT#2 spindle? Eddie Metalworking 4 December 3rd 05 08:37 PM
Bridgeport quill to head clearance? Jon Anderson Metalworking 4 March 8th 05 11:29 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM