Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dread anyone?

Could be the first real advance in hand held weaponry since gunpowder?

The Dread

http://www.defensereview.com/modules...rticle&sid=526

But, what is the DREAD, really? How does it work? In a sentence, the DREAD is an
electrically-powered centrifuge weapon, or centrifuge "gun". So, instead of
using self-contained cartridges containing powdered propellant (gunpowder), the
DREAD's ammunition will be .308 and .50 caliber round metal balls (steel,
tungsten, tungsten carbide, ceramic-coated tungsten, etc...) that will be
literally spun out of the weapon at speeds as high as 8000 fps (give or take a
few hundred feet-per-second) at rather extreme rpm's, striking their targets
with overwhelming and devastating firepower. We're talking about total target
saturation, here. All this, of course, makes the DREAD revolutionary in the
literal sense, as well as the conceptual one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Have heard of this over a year now. Seems if it had real merit, one would
have heard more or seen it more. I think there are only limited tactical
situations where saturation fire is advantageous. I saw another system
where the bullets were essentially stacked, and electronically fired. It
seems like a centrifugal firing mechanism wouldn't be very accurate except
for spraying a certain arc of the circle. Those wheel machine guns with the
multiple barrel like The Terminator favors would seem to be enough for me.
I wouldn't want someone after me with one of those. I have seen videos of
them, and they are awesome. So are the 20 mm. chain cannons. I have a
video of them at max range with IR night scopes taking out some insurgents
with explosive rounds, and literally shredding the vehicles and blowing the
insurgents to pieces. Small pieces. I also like that video of the 50 cal.
Barrett with explosive shells picking snipers off rocks in Afghanistan.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

Those wheel machine guns with the multiple barrel like The Terminator
favors would seem to be enough for me. I wouldn't want someone after me
with one of those. I have seen videos of them, and they are awesome. So
are the 20 mm. chain cannons. I have a video of them at max range with IR
night scopes taking out some insurgents with explosive rounds, and
literally shredding the vehicles and blowing the insurgents to pieces.
Small pieces. I also like that video of the 50 cal. Barrett with
explosive shells picking snipers off rocks in Afghanistan.

Steve

(Maestro, a drum roll, please...) Da-da, da-dah, da-DAH! Now, THAT's
entertainment!

Do you have any videos of dismemberment with edged weapons? Do you invite
friends over when you show these things?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 3, 8:17*am, "SteveB" wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message

m...

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

If you like that type of entertainment, you might try these...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_(sniper)

I understand that they are very popular with your counterparts.

Be sure to invite the families of those who participated in the
filmings.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From a friend of mine...

Hey! Build your own!!
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7...nnonme4aj5.jpg
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 3, 9:53*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

People who would happily kill you and yours because you don't bow down
to the right god getting shredded- yes, that is worth watching.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Round balls, and probably with a healthy spin on an axis that's
transverse to motion so you're guaranteed to have curveballs?

Do they advertise shooting around corners as a feature?

And how heavy is a barrel of the ammo that's big enough so you can shoot
for any reasonable amount of time? And how big is this gun? And how
easy is it to move around?

"Imagine a gun with no recoil, no sound, no heat, no gunpowder, no
visible firing signature (muzzle flash), and no stoppages or jams of any
kind."

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front,
or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's
third law. No sound means that there's no moving parts. No heat means
that there's no energy transfer. No stoppages or jams means that the
mechanism is perfect in every way. Sure.

OTOH, I can believe the no gunpowder and no muzzle flash; I suppose that
2 of 5 is a good thing, kinda.

"Dismantled for security purposes". Sure -- the inventor didn't want to
get arrested for fraud.

(yes, I'm skeptical)

I really shouldn't be so down on the thing -- after all, it's
undoubtedly electrically powered, which means it's eco-friendly. (Why
didn't they mention that as a feature?) Perhaps the army can get more
urban recruits if they conduct "green warfare".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front,
or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's
third law.

You can throw something out the front without
recoil. You just have to throw something of
equal ma out the back at the same time. Of
course that would make the gunners position]
a little dangerous...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

I'll bet you'd find you have a lot in common with them, Dave, if you got to
know them. You're off to a good start: you even like the same kinds of
movies!

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

No, nothing in common.

Believe it or not, there are some people who have demonstrated, again
and again, that they have forfeited the right to live in the community
of men.

Lets just label this group 'people who will kill you for not obeying
islam, people who will throw acid in the face of girls for the crime
of going to school, people who will kill their own daughter for being
raped'.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 3, 12:41*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
[...]

"Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says..
See details athttp://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

For sure it can't be 'no recoil', but if the energy is imparted to the
ammo over a longer time compared to using an explosion, the recoil
characteristic could be more manageable.

Not that the world really needs another fricken' slaughter weapon.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I see no reason to assume any inaccuracy.
In fact, it could be scary accurate, if you wanted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Hey, enjoying the same kind of entertainment is a good conversation-starter.
They like guns, you like guns. You like watching people get shredded, they
like watching people get shredded. You're off and running!

Believe it or not, there are some people who have demonstrated, again
and again, that they have forfeited the right to live in the community
of men.

And they feel the same way about you. There's another thing you have in
common!

Lets just label this group 'people who will kill you for not obeying
islam, people who will throw acid in the face of girls for the crime
of going to school, people who will kill their own daughter for being
raped'.

Well, there are some new cultural attitudes you can share. If you like
watching people get shredded, you'll find a few other points of shared
experience in there somewhere.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02032009...ace_153318.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh for Pete Sake, Steve!

The round has to spin along the axis of travel.

Now, figure out a small light weight electrically powered mechanism to
make it happen, hmm?

And notice one of the rounds has golf ball type dimples.

Good guess why? (it ain't for shooting around corners, pilgrim!)

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

No, nothing in common.

Believe it or not, there are some people who have demonstrated, again
and again, that they have forfeited the right to live in the community
of men.

Lets just label this group 'people who will kill you for not obeying
islam, people who will throw acid in the face of girls for the crime
of going to school, people who will kill their own daughter for being
raped'.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02032009...ace_153318.htm

Excellent article.

take me to your leader!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No recoil while throwing a large number of bullets per second towards
enemy, sounds suspiciously like "supply side economics".

Just that claim alone makes me not too interested in the device, which
probably would face a lot of trouble (guide wear, fracture
possibilities etc) for other reasons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

Those wheel machine guns with the multiple barrel like The Terminator
favors would seem to be enough for me. I wouldn't want someone after me
with one of those. I have seen videos of them, and they are awesome. So
are the 20 mm. chain cannons. I have a video of them at max range with
IR night scopes taking out some insurgents with explosive rounds, and
literally shredding the vehicles and blowing the insurgents to pieces.
Small pieces. I also like that video of the 50 cal. Barrett with
explosive shells picking snipers off rocks in Afghanistan.

Steve

(Maestro, a drum roll, please...) Da-da, da-dah, da-DAH! Now, THAT's
entertainment!

Do you have any videos of dismemberment with edged weapons? Do you invite
friends over when you show these things?

They're on the Al Jazeera website - Caucasians being beheaded by Arabs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:00:51 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front,
or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's
third law.

You can throw something out the front without
recoil. You just have to throw something of
equal ma out the back at the same time. Of
course that would make the gunners position]
a little dangerous...

Yeah, but how do you cope with precession forces when you raise or lower the
point of aim???

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Dave hasn't moved up to that yet. He's still enjoying his awesome videos of
Arabs being blown to small pieces with 20 mm chain cannons.

Give him time. Once you've taken a step toward becoming what you hate,
anything is possible.

So, do you visit the beheading videos often?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Get this into your head, nice and clear- there are people out there
who do NOT have a before-1st-contact live-and-let-live attitude.

MY attitude towards THEM is a result of THEIR attitude towards ME.

If someone clearly states their goal is to kill and subjugate, my
attitude will be adjusted accordingly.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, a friend of mine was beheaded in Chechnya.

He and two others were kidnapped, held for weeks, then beheaded and
their heads left beside the road outside Grozny.

Know what you're talking about before you spout off, you have not got
a clue.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that
wrote on Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:18:19 -0800 (PST) in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

[...]

You have to remember Dave, that the Ed Huntresses of the world
feel that really, all that is necessary is for them to get a chance to
sit down a talk with people like the Taliban, or the Nazis, and a
common ground can be found. As far as they are concerned, the real
problem was that George Bush wasn't willing to ask what we had done to
make them so upset as to act out as they did.

All seriousness aside, it would seem that apparently, progressive
hold no beliefs strongly enough to refuse to compromise or to defend.
And because of that, and the all too human tendency to think of others
as oneself, they seem incapable of grokking the idea that someone may
actually mean it when they say "Death to the Infidels." That it isn't
some kind of colorful metaphor, they really do mean "Convert or Die!"

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IIRC in WWI, yes, one, the allies had a three or six in gun hung under an
airplane to be used when hunting submarines. They took care of the recoil
by having the shell go out the front, and a sandbag out the back. Still
must have been exciting in a fabric and dope aircraft.
Bert
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front, or
that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's third
law.

You can throw something out the front without
recoil. You just have to throw something of
equal ma out the back at the same time. Of
course that would make the gunners position]
a little dangerous...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:00:51 -0800, the infamous Jim Stewart
scrawled the following:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front,
or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's
third law.

You can throw something out the front without
recoil. You just have to throw something of
equal ma out the back at the same time. Of
course that would make the gunners position]
a little dangerous...

Back-to-back mechanism.

Ayup, just drive the dreadmobile into the ranks of enemy soldiers and
fire sideways. Done!

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Funny, Ed. You don't appear on my radar any more. Aw, shoot. I had ye
killfiled.

No, never saw any dismemberment, but saw lots of pictures post beheadings.
I did witness one caning while overseas. Wish there were more of it,
particularly here in the US. The kids would act a lot better. Adults, too.
There's nothing like seeing a grown man dance and scream like a baby and
**** all over themself when caned. And if the one who does the caning can
be proven to not be giving it his all, he gets double the strokes. Yes, Ed,
I would like to share some of my experiences with people. That's why I show
them the videos of snipers who head shoot our soldiers getting blown into
many small parts. You got a problem with that?

You're an adult. Cope.

TTFN, Ed.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Not really new. The Civil War era supposedly had a steam powered gun that
used steam to spin the bullet carrier.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Oh...you mean people on the Ed Huntress Approved list?

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Sure it does. Remember Alfred Nobels sentiments?

Chuckle

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:28:29 -0600, Ignoramus14358
wrote:

No recoil while throwing a large number of bullets per second towards
enemy, sounds suspiciously like "supply side economics".

Just that claim alone makes me not too interested in the device, which
probably would face a lot of trouble (guide wear, fracture
possibilities etc) for other reasons.

All easily overcome by applied metalurgy.

In fact...with some usage of superconductors, and the proper computer
connection...some really scary ballistic trajectories could be applied
to each sphere as it leaves the weapon. Tossing them in a curving low
to the right with a rise at x distance could be done.

Want to put it in a window and have it travel down the hall and break to
the right at the end? Possible.

Pitchers demonstrate that in every baseball game.

And the rounds could be explosive, spin armed fragmentation
grenades.....etc.

Select a new feed box, which automatically resets the computer to the
charectoristics of the selected ordnance.....nasty..really nasty....

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:10:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 3, 5:18*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

m...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Ed spent his war years stoned under a bridge in California. Looking at
all the groovy lights and talking to the wallpaper. Ickey stuff doesnt
happen on his planet.

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front,
or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's
third law.

You can throw something out the front without
recoil. You just have to throw something of
equal ma out the back at the same time. Of
course that would make the gunners position]
a little dangerous...

Yeah, but how do you cope with precession forces when you raise or lower the
point of aim???

Mark Rand
RTFM

Gyroscopic forces will be interesting to overcome while aiming

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:42:54 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Group Hug! Group HUG!!!!

Kumbya! Kuuuummmmbyyyyaaaa!!!!!

Snerk!!! Gurgle.......kick,,,,,,,,

To Ed & Co.....those are merely "cultural idosyncrises" and of
course...multicuturalism means they are to be accepted.
After all...its ok to toss battery acid in a girls face....its
multicultural. Right? Afterall...it is THEIR culture.

Ed and Co would have greeted the Thugee with open arms and flowers.
glad cries of Multiculturalism, and of course the Thugee would have
greeted EdCo with golden cords and glad cries.

(for the less well informed....)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Lessee. No recoil means you can't be throwing anything out the front,
or that they've gotten a special dispensation from God from Newton's
third law.

You can throw something out the front without
recoil. You just have to throw something of
equal ma out the back at the same time. Of
course that would make the gunners position]
a little dangerous...

Yeah, but how do you cope with precession forces when you raise or lower the
point of aim???

it would be a big gyroscope. I would guess the "disk" would always be
spinning waiting for projectiles to introduced. So, it would need to
be vehicle mounted for a power supply, it would be a bitch to aim
because of the gyroscope effect. There would be the heat of the motor
and some heat of the balls sliding against the outer walls as they are
flung around. Not near the heat of a powder fired gun, but still some
heat.

Mythbusters did some sort of gyro-gun awhile back, I only caught a
small part of the show.

They claim a muzzle velocity of above the speed of sound, so there
most definately would be noise.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

No recoil while throwing a large number of bullets per second towards
enemy, sounds suspiciously like "supply side economics".

Just that claim alone makes me not too interested in the device, which
probably would face a lot of trouble (guide wear, fracture
possibilities etc) for other reasons.

All easily overcome by applied metalurgy.

Recoil cannot be overcome by metallurgy.

In fact...with some usage of superconductors, and the proper computer
connection...some really scary ballistic trajectories could be applied
to each sphere as it leaves the weapon. Tossing them in a curving low
to the right with a rise at x distance could be done.

Want to put it in a window and have it travel down the hall and break to
the right at the end? Possible.

Pitchers demonstrate that in every baseball game.

And the rounds could be explosive, spin armed fragmentation
grenades.....etc.

Select a new feed box, which automatically resets the computer to the
charectoristics of the selected ordnance.....nasty..really nasty....

I think that your optimism as to how many degrees of freedom you can
give to a spinning metal ball, is unfounded. I can see how you could
impart a curving trajectory to it, but I cannot see how you can manage
details of this trajectory so finely, and no that easily at the
typical speed of a flying bullet.

But, I always like progress in such military matters.

I am always especially interested in psychoactive weapons that would
make opposing forces **** their pants, discard their weapons and run
home, without doing any damage.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Seems everyone's first impression is that the rounds "roll" around
inside until released. Somehow I doubt it's that simple (minded).

That has some blatantly obvious drawbacks, doesn't it.
So why assume a demonstrated working system works that way???

Spin is induced with the spin axis aligned with the flight path.
Just like a rifled slug.

There is no recoil (Steve!).

Recoil in a powder driven piece is Newtonian reaction to accelerating
the slug down the barrel. Here that reaction would be much slower (over
a longer time) and would be expressed as a gyroscopic force at spin up.

Ed was exactly right!
The "yeah buts" will bust yer butt every time!

Sheesh

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

No recoil while throwing a large number of bullets per second towards
enemy, sounds suspiciously like "supply side economics".

Just that claim alone makes me not too interested in the device, which
probably would face a lot of trouble (guide wear, fracture
possibilities etc) for other reasons.

All easily overcome by applied metalurgy.

Recoil cannot be overcome by metallurgy.

You dont know much about artillery, do you?

[...]

Those have their places as well.

But keep in mind that the horrors of war have to be...horrible. Else
they devolve to the levels of rugby scrums which never really solve
anything. Resentment, fermenting underneith and ready to break out at
any time, is somehow preferable to the knowledge of absolute defeat and
a horror of being a bad nation again and what comes of it?

Why do you think McCarther would only accept the unconditional surrender
of the Empire of Japan?

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
But keep in mind that the horrors of war have to be...horrible. Else
they devolve to the levels of rugby scrums which never really solve
anything. Resentment, fermenting underneith and ready to break out at
any time, is somehow preferable to the knowledge of absolute defeat and
a horror of being a bad nation again and what comes of it?

There is some reason here.

Why do you think McCarther would only accept the unconditional surrender
of the Empire of Japan?

Was it really unconditional?

I do not think so.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Feb 3, 5:18 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

m...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

'Sorry to hear about your friend, but that has nothing to do with you
watching snuff flicks. And if you think it does, then it screwed up your
mind.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 12:51*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 3, 5:18 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

om...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]