Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Building a generator

Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 2:22*pm, stryped wrote:
Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Tough part, I think, would be holding a steady 3600RPM.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 1:57*pm, wrote:
On Jan 30, 2:22*pm, stryped wrote:

Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Tough part, I think, would be holding a steady 3600RPM.

Dave

I wonder if somehow making a temporary mounting plate in the engine
compartment would be better? SO, in power outages I could mount the
head and run it off the tractor. Will a generator head be hard on the
tractor? Obviosuly it is old. (I think a 1948). But would only use the
generator once or twice a year.

The tractor sits outside. The engine is wrapped in a tarp.

Would i need some type of 12volt clutch puly on the generator head?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 4:23*pm, stryped wrote:
On Jan 30, 1:57*pm, wrote:

On Jan 30, 2:22*pm, stryped wrote:

Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Tough part, I think, would be holding a steady 3600RPM.

Dave

I wonder if somehow making a temporary mounting plate in the engine
compartment would be better? SO, in power outages I could mount the
head and run it off the tractor. Will a generator head be hard on the
tractor? Obviosuly it is old. (I think a 1948). But would only use the
generator once or twice a year.

The tractor sits outside. The engine is wrapped in a tarp.

Would i need some type of 12volt clutch puly on the generator head?

10000 watts is only what, 13 horsepower, figure efficiency is low so
how about 25 horsepower?

But still, if you're running anything other than incandescent light
bulbs you have to hold it at 3600rpm (generator speed) or you won't
get 60HZ.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 1:57*pm, wrote:

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

It is probably better to have another engine. I just dont have one
that big. I have an 11 horse off a lawn mower.

By the way, can a generator be spun in either direction?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are about 800 zillion PTO generators around the USA. They run at
a PTO speed of either 540 rpm or 1000 rpm. The PTO speed is attained
with an engine speed in the range of 1500 rpms; the exact engine speed
depends on the tractor design. Your Ford 8N has a 540 rpm PTO. You have
to know this when you get the generator (really an alternator, but you
probably know that). 1000 rpm PTO outputs are found on tractors a LOT
newer than yours (I have had one of those, a 1948 model, since 1973).

Almost every Dairy farmer around here has one just sitting there by the
power pole, ready to be "transfer switched" when a power failure occurs.
Can't not milk when the cows are ready!

Your 8N had 23 PTO HP when new. I think I'd look for a 10KW generator
for it. If the tractor's governor is in reasonable shape, I think the
only thing you'd have trouble running properly is a clock. Just because
you have a 10KW generator, doesn't mean you will be pulling 10KW out of
the system, so unless you are airconditioning, you should be able to get
along well.

These PTO generators are available at farm sales, new at places like
Northern Tool, farm stores, implement dealers, Ebay, Craigslist etc.,
etc., etc.
I think that the farm sale used ones are more likely to be in the 25KW
range, but I'll bet you could run that one too, it'd just loose a little
more power internally than the smaller ones.

Your two biggest real world problems will be:
Feeding it enough gasoline
Feeding it enough engine oil if it's tired.

Rule of thumb that I've heard on fuel consumption is that the
engine/generator will consume about 25% of max fuel usage just sitting
there running, with no load at all.

I didn't do the math, but all this means that you have to know roughly
how much gasoline you'll need and maybe already have it on hand somehow
when the storm hits. If you are a farmer, you already have hundreds if
not thousands of gallons of gas and diesel sitting there, otherwise??

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------------

stryped wrote:
Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:22:51 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

You need to gear it up from your PTO something like 6.66 :1 because
yout PTO is 540 RPM and the generator needs to be 3600. You could use
the front of an old bailer - IIRC there is an 18" =/- multi sheave
pully on the flyweel? - run that to a 3-4" or whatever pulley on the
generator - and the flywheel will help carry that poor little Ford
through power spikes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:23:40 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

On Jan 30, 1:57Â*pm, wrote:
On Jan 30, 2:22Â*pm, stryped wrote:

Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Tough part, I think, would be holding a steady 3600RPM.

Dave

I wonder if somehow making a temporary mounting plate in the engine
compartment would be better? SO, in power outages I could mount the
head and run it off the tractor. Will a generator head be hard on the
tractor? Obviosuly it is old. (I think a 1948). But would only use the
generator once or twice a year.

The tractor sits outside. The engine is wrapped in a tarp.

Would i need some type of 12volt clutch puly on the generator head?

The 8N had a crank, right? - no , don't even go there - driving off
the crank bolt would loosen the bolt - but there WERE linkages made to
mount a hydraulic pump on the front of the tractor for a loader so
there has to be a way you COULD mount it direct drive on the front.

However, I think running it geared off the PTO is a better solution.
Put the genny on a small trailer with a PTO shaft and gear it UP
something like 6 - 7:1
Might not be able to get quite full output - the 8N was 23.22 PTO
horsepower fresh out of the box and a few horses will likely have
"left the barn" over the last 60 years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

That generator would be good to use bolted into another piece of
power equipment you have handy (and don't need to use in a power
emergency) like a combine, or tree chipper, or such. Something that
already has a good governor you can make hold stable within +/- 25
RPM...

And you will have to play with pulley ratios to go from the RPM of
the drive point you have available (most Diesels don't like turning
above 2500 RPM) to get the 3600 RPM that this alternator head needs to
be spun at. And you'll probably need double or triple sheaves on the
engine and alternator, they have to be aligned fairly closely, and a
matched set of belts - plus a spare set.

If you want to use it on a tractor PTO, go buy a generator head
already set up specifically for that use. They come with the three-
point hitch, and the PTO input shaft, and a gearbox to kick up the 540
RPM tractor PTO speed to 3600 RPM generator speed. And your tractor
needs to have a good constant speed governor, or the power output is
going to sag and surge a lot.

Oh, and if your tractor or combine engine starts to overheat or runs
out of oil it will be destroyed, because they usually don't have
safety shutdown systems. They are built to be operated attended only.
You can add the safety shutdowns yourself, but it usually takes a very
expensive disaster to deliver the message they are a necessity.

I would strongly suggest a real skid-mount engine generator set,
someting like
that just needs a shed, a transfer switch,
(but preferably an Automatic Transfer Switch with a trickle charger
and an excercise timer), a fuel tank, and a Kim Hotstart block heater.

It's going to drop into place, plug in, and work without a bunch of
fiddling around - and if you expect farm hands or relatives to operate
it (and not destroy it...) you want simple and easy operations. And
built in safety shutdowns (overspeed, overcrank, oil pressure, water
temperature, head temperature, etc.) if something goes horribly wrong.

If you live out in the country, you might be able to buy a used
generator set where a big-city company had to upgrade to a Tier 3 or
Tier 4 emissions compliant unit - meaning they had to scrap their old
unit with plenty of life left to make the Smog Police happy.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All he needs to do is tell the order person that he needs the 8N cruise
control, Dave.

With the coupon, it's only $79.50 on sale.

--
WB
metalworking projects

wrote in message
On Jan 30, 2:22 pm, stryped wrote:
Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n
tractor?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Tough part, I think, would be holding a steady 3600RPM.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you want to use the tractor PTO running at 540 rpm, you need to be
looking at something more on the lines of this gem from HF:
It's 4 times the money but it is double the power and much easier to get
up and running.

Most of the dairy farmers will have one of these inside a shed to keep
it out of the weather. When you have an outage, open the door, back the
tractor up to it, slide on the PTO, you are good to go.

This is a good way to get short periods (few hours) of heavy duty power.
It is not a good way to run for days on end when you can conserve power
to run the furnace blower, well pump, sump pump, the freezer and frige,
and a few lights.

stryped wrote:
Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45416

Someone on either rcm or a metalworking web site mentioned they managed to snag dyno
rollers from a chassis dyno and attached an alternator head. When the power goes out,
they use their econobox car with the cruise control set properly to run their loads.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...mnumber=45416- Hide quoted text -

And a manual pump to use for the fuel...no power you know.

Tractors are not known for being fuel efficient so plan for lots of
fuel.

I remember reading that KY has been without power for at least five
days...likely longer...that period of time translates into alot of
fuel.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:05:07 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I remember reading that KY has been without power for at least five
days...likely longer...that period of time translates into alot of
fuel.

TMT

Definitely longer. Some got their power back in 3-4 days but we have
been out for ten days now (got a generator today).

It ain't much fun...

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I remember reading that KY has been without power for at least five
days...likely longer...that period of time translates into alot of
fuel.

TMT

Definitely longer. Some got their power back in 3-4 days but we have
been out for ten days now (got a generator today).

It ain't much fun...

Best -- Terry

Congrats on the new genny.

Which one did you get?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 6, 6:48 pm, Terry wrote:

On this subject, I plan to make an adapter so that I can plug my stove
into the generator. Obviously I won't be able to switch on the oven,
it would blow the breaker (about 10 KW). But i should be able to run
at least one burner (about 2500 W). 12 Ga wire should do the trick.
Any negative thoughts on this procedure?

Best -- Terry

I think using a generator for a burner on a stove would be very
inefficient. I would buy a five gallon propane tank and five gallons
of propane. A couple of propane lanterns and a propane camp stove.
Either buy an adapter to refill the hand held propane tanks, or
adapters to use the lanterns and stove on the five gallon propane
tank. Using propane this way will be a lot quieter than using a
generator.

While we are on this subject...............I bought a led flashlight
at Target recently. It uses two D cells and has three leds for
light. It provides a good amount of light and is suppose to work for
100 hours on two alkaline D cells. Cost about $9. Only mentioned as
it seems a cost effective flashlight. Not too expensive to buy, and
not expensive to use. Comes with two non alkaline batteries which are
suppose to last 40 hours.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

wrote:

I remember reading that KY has been without power for at least five
days...likely longer...that period of time translates into alot of
fuel.

TMT

Definitely longer. Some got their power back in 3-4 days but we have
been out for ten days now (got a generator today).

It ain't much fun...

Best -- Terry

Congrats on the new genny.

Which one did you get?

Cheap chinese generator (All Power?)... it's what was available. Not
much choice around here right now. 5000 W supposedly. We've been
able to run an electric heater and a microwave plus a bunch of small
items---lights, etc.

On this subject, I plan to make an adapter so that I can plug my stove
into the generator. Obviously I won't be able to switch on the oven,
it would blow the breaker (about 10 KW). But i should be able to run
at least one burner (about 2500 W). 12 Ga wire should do the trick.
Any negative thoughts on this procedure?

Best -- Terry

Depending upon the model, you may already have a 25A or a 30A twist-lock
socket on the genset.

If so, that's the one to use with the stove since the average small
burner is around 1000W and the larger ones are around 1500W.

As an alternative, consider getting a couple of electric hot plates that
may also prove useful in the shop later.

You may also wish to consider installing a corn/pellet stove by replacing
a pane of window glass with a metal pass-through for the stovepipe. This
will provide lots of heat for not too much ca$h.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes - It will work, but... Save your gasoline for the generator for
useful things that only electricity can do, like running the computer
and the refrigerator and microwave.

You are just stacking inefficiencies turning gasoline into
combustion heat into engine power into electricity and then /back/
into resistance heat again. Too many conversions.

For the cooking duties in a disaster situation it's far more
efficient to go buy a Propane Barbecue, preferably with a "Side
Burner", and a few 20-Pound (5 gallon) exchange tanks. (I have four,
so there are always two full tanks.) And for all-night light and
incidental heat, a propane lantern and a post adapter.

Or a good old Coleman Lantern and Camp Stove, the new ones (designed
for it) will work fine on plain Unleaded Gasoline if you can't get
Coleman Fuel. Same reason - single conversion Fuel to Heat.

And keep both the generator and the BBQ outside the main house -
Carbon Monoxide is NOT your friend. A lantern you can chance, as long
as you provide ventilation for it. NOT if you have the house super
sealed with triple storm doors and had the air infiltration tested.

The BBQ can be a under a patio overhang if you must, but keep in
mind the radiant heat from the gril, and possible flare-ups from the
fat drippings - unless your patio cover is all steel, the heat can set
the roof on fire if you do it just right...

If you want the BBQ under shelter while in use year round, build a
semi-permanent big metal vent hood to park it under. Let the heat
create a natural draft in a short vent stack.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 23:15:12 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Yes - It will work, but... Save your gasoline for the generator for
useful things that only electricity can do, like running the computer
and the refrigerator and microwave.

You are just stacking inefficiencies turning gasoline into
combustion heat into engine power into electricity and then /back/
into resistance heat again. Too many conversions.

Agreed, it's inefficient. My thoughts were (a) I don't have a propane
stove [do have one on order, though]; (b) generator is on in the
evenings anyway, so I'm not turning it on just to run the cooktop; (c)
the wife knows how to cook on the stovetop so I won't have to do so...
:-)

For the cooking duties in a disaster situation it's far more
efficient to go buy a Propane Barbecue, preferably with a "Side
Burner", and a few 20-Pound (5 gallon) exchange tanks. (I have four,
so there are always two full tanks.) And for all-night light and
incidental heat, a propane lantern and a post adapter.

Already got a propane lantern, two 20 lb tanks, and a catalytic
propane heater. Up to Wednesday it was way too cold to run the BBQ.

Or a good old Coleman Lantern and Camp Stove, the new ones (designed
for it) will work fine on plain Unleaded Gasoline if you can't get
Coleman Fuel. Same reason - single conversion Fuel to Heat.

Thanks for that tip; my neighbor has a coleman lantern and camp stove,
and looked all over for coleman fuel during the outage. I'll let him
know that he can use gasoline, thanks!

And keep both the generator and the BBQ outside the main house -
Carbon Monoxide is NOT your friend. A lantern you can chance, as long
as you provide ventilation for it. NOT if you have the house super
sealed with triple storm doors and had the air infiltration tested.

Generator is just inside the garage door, with the door all the way
up, and exhaust pointing outside. I didn't put the wheels on it
because there are some unscrupulous types out there. A friend's
neighbor noticed too late that his generator was running but the
heater wasn't. Turns out someone started his lawn mower, left it
running by the generator, then stole the generator...

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The BBQ still has to remain mostly outside, if the weather is bad
it has to live in the garage next to the generator with the door up.
And aim the generator cooling air at the BBQ bottle to get the
pressure up enough to work with, when the temperature gets into the
minuses Propane stops vaporizing.

This is why your Summer Project is to build a big vent hood on the
back patio. I have to put the word out around here, the next
restaurant that gets torn down I want one of the hoods.

Or a good old Coleman Lantern and Camp Stove, the new ones (designed
for it) will work fine on plain Unleaded Gasoline if you can't get
Coleman Fuel. Same reason - single conversion Fuel to Heat.

Thanks for that tip; my neighbor has a coleman lantern and camp stove,
and looked all over for coleman fuel during the outage. I'll let him
know that he can use gasoline, thanks!

The stoves and lanterns /have to be/ made for use on Unleaded
Gasoline and marked to show same, or be one of the newer models that
can be retrofit with the right generator, or it'll clog up and fail.
Or worse, it can do something spectacular you should catch on video.

Whether you send the footage to "America's Funniest Home Videos" or
"Destroyed in Seconds" all depends on /how/ it fails - I'm not going
to predict the failure cascade on that one, but gasoline can literally
be 'liquid dynamite' if it all goes wrong just right. And you are
pressurizing it in the fuel tank of the stove, so a leak can make a
nice atomized mist of fuel with a convenient nearby ignition source...

Have I made my point? There's a time for experimenting, and a time
to stay with boring and safe. Do the experimenting when the hospitals
aren't already full of emergency patients, and the ambulances aren't
doing 10 MPH at best, dodging downed trees and big patches of Black
Ice from the water main breaks.

And keep both the generator and the BBQ outside the main house -
Carbon Monoxide is NOT your friend. A lantern you can chance, as long
as you provide ventilation for it. NOT if you have the house super
sealed with triple storm doors and had the air infiltration tested.

Generator is just inside the garage door, with the door all the way
up, and exhaust pointing outside. I didn't put the wheels on it
because there are some unscrupulous types out there. A friend's
neighbor noticed too late that his generator was running but the
heater wasn't. Turns out someone started his lawn mower, left it
running by the generator, then stole the generator...

Best -- Terry

Three words: Rabid Pit Bull. Or four: Logging Chain, Huge Lock.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Christmas eve tradition in this household is barbequed steaks and we
haven't eaten raw meat yet after 25 years. Of course our evening
temperature rarely gets below 0 deg. F.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Richard W." wrote:

I live out in the country where there isn't to much chance of my generator
being stolen. But I do have a logging chain and a big lock handy.

All that gets you is a cut logging chain, or no logging chain at all
(cut and taken with generator) if the thieves show up. Since they don't
buy stuff, money is no object when it comes to having the tools to steal
other tools, ya know?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Richard W." wrote:

I live out in the country where there isn't to much chance of my
generator
being stolen. But I do have a logging chain and a big lock handy.

All that gets you is a cut logging chain, or no logging chain at all
(cut and taken with generator) if the thieves show up. Since they don't
buy stuff, money is no object when it comes to having the tools to steal
other tools, ya know?

That's true, but it will slow them down enough that I have some time to do
something about it. One guy thought he ran out of gas on his generator and
went to his back yard to fill it. Only to see 2 guys jumping off the back
fence and running off with his generator.

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 17:26:03 -0800, "Richard W."

That's true, but it will slow them down enough that I have some time to do
something about it. One guy thought he ran out of gas on his generator and
went to his back yard to fill it. Only to see 2 guys jumping off the back
fence and running off with his generator.

Richard W.

sounds like perfect shotgun targets...doubles.

"Pull!!"

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There ARE a lot of PTO generators out there; they must work.

The RCM question would be: how do you build a geartrain to
use such?

I've seen a car differential used in reverse -- I don't recall if they'd
welded the other side down, or somehow locked up the spider within.....

From there, you could use pulleys and belts.

It's not hard to add low oil and high temp shutdowns to something
as simple as an 8N. A cruisecontrol would be a little harder but
not rocket science. Real hightech would be a frequency monitor
that ran the throttle....

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a thread-tie:

If you use your PTO generator to drive your VFD, set to 60 Hz; it won't
matter nearly as much that the engine speed/output frequency are not
stable.

You could in fact use a throttle-opener that was in series with the
output; the more current you draw, the more RPM's you get...

--
A host is a host from coast to