Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Building a generator

On Jan 30, 5:13*pm, spaco wrote:
There are about 800 zillion PTO generators around the USA. * They run at
a PTO speed of either 540 rpm or 1000 rpm. *The PTO speed is attained
with an engine speed in the range of 1500 rpms; the exact engine speed
depends on the tractor design. *Your Ford 8N has a 540 rpm PTO. You have
to know this when you get the generator (really an alternator, but you
probably know that). *1000 rpm PTO outputs are found on tractors a LOT
newer than yours (I have had one of those, a 1948 model, since 1973).

Almost every Dairy farmer around here has one just sitting there by the
power pole, ready to be "transfer switched" when a power failure occurs.
* Can't not milk when the cows are ready!

Your 8N had 23 PTO HP when new. *I think I'd look for a 10KW generator
for it. * If the tractor's governor is in reasonable shape, I think the
only thing you'd have trouble running properly is a clock. *Just because
you have a 10KW generator, doesn't mean you will be pulling 10KW out of
the system, so unless you are airconditioning, you should be able to get
along well.

These PTO generators are available at farm sales, new at places like
Northern Tool, farm stores, implement dealers, Ebay, Craigslist etc.,
etc., etc.
I think that the farm sale used ones are more likely to be in the 25KW
range, but I'll bet you could run that one too, it'd just loose a little
more power internally than the smaller ones.

Your two biggest real world problems will be:
Feeding it enough gasoline
Feeding it enough engine oil if it's tired.

Rule of thumb that I've heard on fuel consumption is that the
engine/generator will consume about 25% of max fuel usage just sitting
there running, with no load at all.

I didn't do the math, but all this means that you have to know roughly
how much gasoline you'll need and maybe already have it on hand somehow
when the storm hits. *If you are a farmer, you already have hundreds if
not thousands of gallons of gas and diesel sitting there, otherwise??

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------------

stryped wrote:
Had a really bad ice storm. I would realy like to have a generator for
future use. WOuld there be a good way to somehow use this with the pto
of my 8n tractor?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...mnumber=45416- Hide quoted text -

And a manual pump to use for the fuel...no power you know.

Tractors are not known for being fuel efficient so plan for lots of
fuel.

I remember reading that KY has been without power for at least five
days...likely longer...that period of time translates into alot of
fuel.

TMT