Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- May we contact your employer?

While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-30, RogerN wrote:
While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

Put a big fat NO.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

On Jan 30, 12:25*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). *I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. *If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? *Just wondering what others would put and why.

RogerN

You can say ONLY after a job offer is on the table.

Depending on, most employers (at least larger ones) are fairly useless
to contact anyhow. Legal won't allow them to say much more than "yes,
he worked (or works) here", and the dates of said employment.

JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

You can be fired for all sorts of things unless you have a contract. Then there is still
all sorts of things left.

As far as employers, past ones, fine. Current, are they nutz?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

Their online application form is kind of generic, they have work history
"most recent employer", "start date", "end date", "may we contact this

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

RogerN

What was Jesus' advice? Why are you asking us?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your
employer (I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or
no. If I put yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for
applying for another job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

RogerN

What was Jesus' advice? Why are you asking us?

Jesus said to ask rec.crafts.metalworking.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

I've always said no unless my boss knew I
was looking and he was a stand-up guy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:25:09 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

RogerN

The only safe answer is No, or a compromise "Not until a job offer
has been made and accepted." Your current employer is not supposed to
use this as an excuse to fire you...

But they also aren't allowed to fire older people to cut their wage
overhead, or to reduce their healthcare costs because premiums on
older workers are higher, or fire people for trumped-up "cause" a
month before their 10-year Pension Vesting anniversary to save from
placing all that money in the pension fund. Or to create a vacancy
for hiring their Brother-In-Law.

Doesn't stop them. You have to fight it after the fact, and it's an
uphill battle if they are really good liars with expensive lawyers.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your
employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I
put yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for
another job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

It's one of those damn Catch 22's. If you say no, they are suspicious. If
you say yes, you better be on pretty good ground if they call your present
employer. Surprised someone hasn't sued them over the practice before now.
Maybe you could be a test case.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your
employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I
put yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for
another job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

It's one of those damn Catch 22's. If you say no, they are suspicious.
If you say yes, you better be on pretty good ground if they call your
present employer. Surprised someone hasn't sued them over the practice
before now. Maybe you could be a test case.

Steve

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm not trying to hide anything and my current
employer is pleased with me, but I don't want them to be notified that I'm
applying for a position elsewhere by another company. My choice would be
that they would make me an offer, I would accept, they can call my employer
and if they find I lied about my employment then they could withdraw the
offer. That way I could alert my boss of the offer and notify that they
will or may be getting a call from the future employer.

Anyway, I selected NO because my "previous employer" is my current employer
and at times they have let people go just for looking for another job. Some
people have gave 2 weeks notice and the company has had a guard walk them
out of the plant right then. It depends on the person, I don't plan to burn
any bridges.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

I have always said No, and this caused no trouble. Prospective
employers have always understood why.

Well, with one exception, and it was good to flush him out into the open
before considering taking a job there. Some employers are best avoided.

Joe Gwinn