Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default OT- May we contact your employer?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:25:09 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

While filling out an application, they ask if they may contact your employer
(I'm currently employed). I'm not sure if I should put yes or no. If I put
yes and they contact my employer, can I be fired for applying for another
job? Just wondering what others would put and why.

RogerN

The only safe answer is No, or a compromise "Not until a job offer
has been made and accepted." Your current employer is not supposed to
use this as an excuse to fire you...

But they also aren't allowed to fire older people to cut their wage
overhead, or to reduce their healthcare costs because premiums on
older workers are higher, or fire people for trumped-up "cause" a
month before their 10-year Pension Vesting anniversary to save from
placing all that money in the pension fund. Or to create a vacancy
for hiring their Brother-In-Law.

Doesn't stop them. You have to fight it after the fact, and it's an
uphill battle if they are really good liars with expensive lawyers.

-- Bruce --