Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sorta OT - Looking For Old Metal (cars, trucks and bikes)

The VW video did it for me... grin

A friend of mine buys pre-1979 vehicles and exports them. Looking
nationwide (Canada too) for some older vehicles right now. If you have one
or have a lead on one, he provides a finder's fee. I'll put you in contact
with him if you are interested.

I called this sorta OT because it's sorta metal recycling and I figured
after the VW video, this should be almost acceptable to all but the
unpleasable.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
The VW video did it for me... grin

A friend of mine buys pre-1979 vehicles and exports them. Looking
nationwide (Canada too) for some older vehicles right now. If you have
one or have a lead on one, he provides a finder's fee. I'll put you in
contact with him if you are interested.

I called this sorta OT because it's sorta metal recycling and I figured
after the VW video, this should be almost acceptable to all but the
unpleasable.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

I'm curious -- why does your friend stick to pre-1979 cars?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 29, 8:53*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

A friend of mine buys pre-1979 vehicles and exports them.

Joe Agro, Jr.

Lets see, which country was isolated in 1979?

Iran?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm curious -- why does your friend stick to pre-1979 cars?

Not sure. I guess that's where the money is for him. He is in FL but finds
vehicles all over the north american continent.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lets see, which country was isolated in 1979?

Iran?

He sells mostly to Brazil I think.

That brings up a possible answer for Ed - Maybe they are mroe easily
converted to run on fuel in Brazil (mostly alc.)
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I'm curious -- why does your friend stick to pre-1979 cars?

Not sure. I guess that's where the money is for him. He is in FL but
finds vehicles all over the north american continent.
--

The only thing that comes to mind is that those cars would be
pre-computer-control, so they may be easier to maintain. Maybe. That is, if

Anyway, it's an interesting question. If you ever think to ask him, let us
know what he says.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anyway, it's an interesting question. If you ever think to ask him, let us
know what he says.

I'll ask him right now.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:04:24 -0500, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm curious -- why does your friend stick to pre-1979 cars?

Not sure. I guess that's where the money is for him. He is in FL but finds
vehicles all over the north american continent.

Might be a regulatory/licencing issue.

Vehicles older than 15 years are easier to import into The Great White
North for this reason; younger ones have to be on a list of US-spec
vehicles - not on, not in.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Anyway, it's an interesting question. If you ever think to ask him, let
us know what he says.

I'll ask him right now.

No definite answer yet - I think he is out of the office today, but others I
know say it does have to do with import restrictions on newer models.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Anyway, it's an interesting question. If you ever think to ask him, let
us know what he says.

I'll ask him right now.

No definite answer yet - I think he is out of the office today, but others
I know say it does have to do with import restrictions on newer models.

Aha. Somebody must be doing business in parts for those oldies, too.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does he have a shopping list? What about condition; pristine, decent,
drivable, parts only?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Lets see, which country was isolated in 1979?

Iran?

He sells mostly to Brazil I think.

That brings up a possible answer for Ed - Maybe they are mroe easily
converted to run on fuel in Brazil (mostly alc.)
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Probably unrelated, but IIRC, 1979 and earlier vehicles don't require
retention and maintenance of emission systems in the US. Might have been
just trucks and catalytic converters, my recollection is hazy. Perhaps pre
1980 vehicles are easier to maintain without unleaded fuel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Does he have a shopping list? What about condition; pristine, decent,
drivable, parts only?

He has not said... So far, he is interested in a 1973 Honda CL350
motorcycle I found him and an old Caddy someone else told me about. ...It
is possible he serves the low end and high end markets...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Probably unrelated, but IIRC, 1979 and earlier vehicles don't require
retention and maintenance of emission systems in the US. Might have been
just trucks and catalytic converters, my recollection is hazy. Perhaps pre
1980 vehicles are easier to maintain without unleaded fuel.

I think most of Brazil runs on Alcohol so I was wondering if they were also
easier to modify to run on that...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Probably unrelated, but IIRC, 1979 and earlier vehicles don't require
retention and maintenance of emission systems in the US. Might have been
just trucks and catalytic converters, my recollection is hazy. Perhaps
pre 1980 vehicles are easier to maintain without unleaded fuel.

I think most of Brazil runs on Alcohol so I was wondering if they were
also easier to modify to run on that...

Speaking of which, I'd like to know how they do that in Brazil. My
understanding, from articles I've read about it, is that Brazilians have a
choice of gasoline (straight, or a very high percentage) or ethanol (same),
and that they buy whichever is the better deal at the moment.

I can only guess at how they pull that off, in terms of carburetion or
injection. I'd think a carburetor would require a completely different set
of jets. And a fuel-injection system would require two different sets of
operating parameters.

Today's injection systems apparently can do this, but that hasn't been true
until very recently. And, having re-jetted a go-cart carb, decades ago, for
methanol versus gasoline, I can't imagine that it's a simple job with the
multiple circuits in a '70s-era carburetor.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

He has not said... So far, he is interested in a 1973 Honda CL350
motorcycle I found him and an old Caddy someone else told me about. ...It
is possible he serves the low end and high end markets...

Well, have him contact me. I'd like to see if there's any chance of
making a buck or two for finders fees. I'd need to know more about what
he's looking for and if there are any such finders fees. Read about a
fellow some years ago that went around to auctions and private sales
with a shopping list for wealthy Japanese. 50's and 60's American cars
in pristine condition were on the menu and he did pretty well for
himself. Doubt this is the same situation, but hey, if there's a C-note
or so for finding something of interest, I'd keep a look out!

Jon

Old ships, railroad cars re scrap metal Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] Metalworking 20 December 6th 08 02:30 AM
Buy or Sell your Used Construction Equipment; ie. excavators, backhoes, dozers, graders, cranes, compactors, dump trucks, heavy trucks, forestry equipment, farming equipment, mining equipment and much more.... Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 03:27 PM
Want to buy or sell Backhoes, Excavators, Dozers, Graders, Cranes, Loaders, Heavy Trucks, Dump Trucks, Forestry, Mining, Farming, Construction Equipment with major name brands such as; Cat, Deere, Case, JCB, Komatsu, Kobelco, Timberjack, Timbco, Bobc Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 6th 07 03:04 AM
Putting in a Window (sorta OT, but only sorta) FunkySpaceCowboy Woodworking 0 November 15th 05 03:58 PM
OT sorta-But lots of (heavy) metal Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 0 February 11th 05 04:25 PM