Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advise on selecting a compressor motor?

Compressor is an older Champion roll-around.
Tank is about 10-15 gallons, compressor is a vee-twin, old U.S.-made
I just put a new pressure switch on it, only to find the motor is bad.
That motor was not original. I believe the original motor was 115V, HP
unknown.
What should I look for in a replacement motor?
I prefer to stay with 115V.

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-23, RB wrote:
Compressor is an older Champion roll-around.
Tank is about 10-15 gallons, compressor is a vee-twin, old U.S.-made
I just put a new pressure switch on it, only to find the motor is bad.
That motor was not original. I believe the original motor was 115V, HP
unknown.
What should I look for in a replacement motor?
I prefer to stay with 115V.

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?

Very simple.

Write down pump model number. Call Champion.

They have a database going back to at least 1930s. (did that with a
pretty old compressor once) They have some nice ladies in the support
department.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-23, RB wrote:
Compressor is an older Champion roll-around.
Tank is about 10-15 gallons, compressor is a vee-twin, old U.S.-made
I just put a new pressure switch on it, only to find the motor is bad.
That motor was not original. I believe the original motor was 115V, HP
unknown.
What should I look for in a replacement motor?
I prefer to stay with 115V.

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?

Very simple.

Write down pump model number. Call Champion.

They have a database going back to at least 1930s. (did that with a
pretty old compressor once) They have some nice ladies in the support
department.

I considered that, but I can't find any sort of number on it.
could be something stamped and covered with paint?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-23, RB wrote:
Ignoramus31576 wrote:
On 2009-01-23, RB wrote:
[...]

is there any flat part near the bottom of the pump?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:

Compressor is an older Champion roll-around.
Tank is about 10-15 gallons, compressor is a vee-twin, old U.S.-made
I just put a new pressure switch on it, only to find the motor is bad.
That motor was not original. I believe the original motor was 115V, HP
unknown.
What should I look for in a replacement motor?
I prefer to stay with 115V.

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?

There are several factors to consider, the first of which is the maximum
rpm that the pump can run. The motor speed and the ratio of pulley sizes
will determine that. With a lower rpm motor the pulley ratio will have
to be changed so the motor is not overloaded. If you put a smaller
pulley on the 1 hp unit it might have turned the pump but at a lower
speed.

The ideal ratio is one that the motor is drawing the rated amps at the
full pressure setting of the pressure switch. With a larger motor,
there is more power to turn the pump faster and produce more air.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john writes:

RB wrote:

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?

There are several factors to consider, the first of which is the maximum
rpm that the pump can run. The motor speed and the ratio of pulley sizes
will determine that. With a lower rpm motor the pulley ratio will have
to be changed so the motor is not overloaded. If you put a smaller
pulley on the 1 hp unit it might have turned the pump but at a lower
speed.

The ideal ratio is one that the motor is drawing the rated amps at the
full pressure setting of the pressure switch. With a larger motor,
there is more power to turn the pump faster and produce more air.

Agreed. You can play with pulley sizes to get the best case from the
existing motor.

You are trading off multiple factors:

1) How much air (CF/M) do you need?
2) How much money do you want to spend?
3) How long do you want to futz with it before getting annoyed?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

1 hp is about the max that you will want to run on 120 power,
compressors are notorious for heavy current draw on startup. You might
skimp to get 1.5 hp but that would be a push.

Check to see what the HP the replacement motor is (or is that the one
you don't know about?).

The pump manufacturers rate the pumps at various HP depending on the
output pressure and the rpm. Example: speedair has one twin cylinder
pump with 1hp, 1.5hp, and 2 hp motors, the parts list shows the 3
different pulleys necessary to run each different motor.

You might want to look at the Granger catalog, try and match your pump
to a current production unit. You might have to pull a head off to get
the bore and stroke. Then check the spec tables in the catalog to get an
idea of what rpm you will need to run.

RB wrote:
Compressor is an older Champion roll-around.
Tank is about 10-15 gallons, compressor is a vee-twin, old U.S.-made
I just put a new pressure switch on it, only to find the motor is bad.
That motor was not original. I believe the original motor was 115V, HP
unknown.
What should I look for in a replacement motor?
I prefer to stay with 115V.

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 3:40*pm, RB wrote:

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?

Is the unloader built into the pressure switch?

jw