Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus31576 Ignoramus31576 is offline

Default Advise on selecting a compressor motor?

On 2009-01-23, RB wrote:
Compressor is an older Champion roll-around.
Tank is about 10-15 gallons, compressor is a vee-twin, old U.S.-made
I just put a new pressure switch on it, only to find the motor is bad.
That motor was not original. I believe the original motor was 115V, HP
unknown.
What should I look for in a replacement motor?
I prefer to stay with 115V.

I tried a 1 HP motor that was wired for 115V, and it was not enough -
stalled and tripped the circuit breaker.
How do I determine what HP it needs?

Very simple.

Write down pump model number. Call Champion.

They have a database going back to at least 1930s. (did that with a
pretty old compressor once) They have some nice ladies in the support
department.

I considered that, but I can't find any sort of number on it.
could be something stamped and covered with paint?

is there any flat part near the bottom of the pump?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/