Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Implant done

Ahhhm back! All's well. Nuthin' hurts to speak of. I'm not permitted
to raise my left arm above shoulder height for a month. That's OK, I
didn't know the answer anyway and I sure know better than to
volunteer. G

Everything went smoothly. The folks at Mercy Heart were terrific
(again).

I learned that the electrophysiologist (MD) quite typically defers
"programming" and testing of the device to a company rep while the doc
handles medical and surgical matters. There's also an
anasthesiologist present. They merely sedate the patient for the
procedure, then put him to sleep when they test it by inducing
fibrillation to see if the device corrects it. (It did.)

The rep was quite aware of my interests. He kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
Ahhhm back! All's well. Nuthin' hurts to speak of.

Welcome back Don!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:52:22 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Ahhhm back! All's well. Nuthin' hurts to speak of. I'm not permitted
to raise my left arm above shoulder height for a month. That's OK, I
didn't know the answer anyway and I sure know better than to
volunteer. G

Everything went smoothly. The folks at Mercy Heart were terrific
(again).

-----------
Wonderful news, thanks for letting us know how it went.

Lets hope everything in the other threads turns out this
well.....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:52:22 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
The rep was quite aware of my interests. He kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

That is excellent news. I'll bet this may be the best route
to getting the gizmo programmed to best suit your needs. An
in at the manufacturer

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote: (clip) The rep was quite aware of my interests. He
kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Congratulations, and best wishes for an uneventful recovery. What did the
rep say regarding welding?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:52:22 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Ahhhm back! All's well.

Great! Welcome back.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ah, that's what I get for not reading everything before asking a
question: glad it went well, and you're still with us!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
Ahhhm back! All's well. Nuthin' hurts to speak of. I'm not permitted
to raise my left arm above shoulder height for a month. That's OK, I
didn't know the answer anyway and I sure know better than to
volunteer. G

Everything went smoothly. The folks at Mercy Heart were terrific
(again).

I learned that the electrophysiologist (MD) quite typically defers
"programming" and testing of the device to a company rep while the doc
handles medical and surgical matters. There's also an
anasthesiologist present. They merely sedate the patient for the
procedure, then put him to sleep when they test it by inducing
fibrillation to see if the device corrects it. (It did.)

The rep was quite aware of my interests. He kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

Ya dun good, bubba. Now follow instructions. At least until they expire.
After that, I know you're going to do what you want to do, anyway. Let us
know if that defrib kicks you what it feels like.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:10:30 -0800, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote: (clip) The rep was quite aware of my interests. He
kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Congratulations, and best wishes for an uneventful recovery. What did the
rep say regarding welding?

He didn't say anything about welding -- and I didn't think he would.
He was definitely aware of my interests. 'Nuff sed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:43:53 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I will, but I'm strongly motivated to avoid that experience.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
Ahhhm back! All's well. Nuthin' hurts to speak of. I'm not permitted
to raise my left arm above shoulder height for a month. That's OK, I
didn't know the answer anyway and I sure know better than to
volunteer. G

Everything went smoothly. The folks at Mercy Heart were terrific
(again).

I learned that the electrophysiologist (MD) quite typically defers
"programming" and testing of the device to a company rep while the doc
handles medical and surgical matters. There's also an
anasthesiologist present. They merely sedate the patient for the
procedure, then put him to sleep when they test it by inducing
fibrillation to see if the device corrects it. (It did.)

The rep was quite aware of my interests. He kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

Great to hear Don, I enjoy reading your posts, best of luck to you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ahhhm back! All's well. Nuthin' hurts to speak of. I'm not permitted
to raise my left arm above shoulder height for a month. That's OK, I
didn't know the answer anyway and I sure know better than to
volunteer. G

Voluntering the answer isn't nearly as dangerous as complaining
about the cooking.

(Ref. 'Moose Turd Pie' - "...But it's good, though!")

Everything went smoothly. The folks at Mercy Heart were terrific
(again).

I learned that the electrophysiologist (MD) quite typically defers
"programming" and testing of the device to a company rep while the doc
handles medical and surgical matters. There's also an
anasthesiologist present. They merely sedate the patient for the
procedure, then put him to sleep when they test it by inducing
fibrillation to see if the device corrects it. (It did.)

The rep was quite aware of my interests. He kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

Well, you know that you got their attention when their internal
E-mail queues are exploding with all the back and forth. Now you have
to follow through and keep bugging the **** outta them till they give
you all the answers you need, and in sufficient detail...

Solely to make you shut up and go away. ;-P

If the local Doc isn't getting with the program, ease him into the
idea. First step is to ask if he has any surgical tools like
spreaders and retractors that are /almost/ right for the task. Then
you volunteer to modify the stock one to work exactly the way he wants
- "Oh, but that will involve TIG welding..."

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I learned that the electrophysiologist (MD) quite typically defers
"programming" and testing of the device to a company rep while the doc
handles medical and surgical matters. There's also an
anasthesiologist present. They merely sedate the patient for the
procedure, then put him to sleep when they test it by inducing
fibrillation to see if the device corrects it. (It did.)

The rep was quite aware of my interests. He kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

Have the Rep come by the homestead and have him fire up all his test
instruments while you strike an arc.

They might be able to fine tune the beasty and have the only Welders
ICD on t he market...you of course would get a royalty...G

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:42:41 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Ya dun good, bubba. Now follow instructions. At least until they expire.
After that, I know you're going to do what you want to do, anyway. Let us
know if that defrib kicks you what it feels like.

Steve

I will, but I'm strongly motivated to avoid that experience.

Peed on that fence once and didn't like it, eh?

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote: My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and
transplant. She spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What happens when you get kicked in the chest by a horse while driving?
Isn't this hazardous to the health of everyone near you on the road?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I learned that the electrophysiologist (MD) quite typically defers
"programming" and testing of the device to a company rep while the doc
handles medical and surgical matters. There's also an
anasthesiologist present. They merely sedate the patient for the
procedure, then put him to sleep when they test it by inducing
fibrillation to see if the device corrects it. (It did.)

The rep was quite aware of my interests. He kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

Have the Rep come by the homestead and have him fire up all his test
instruments while you strike an arc.

They might be able to fine tune the beasty and have the only Welders
ICD on t he market...you of course would get a royalty...G

Gunner

Time to do that is before implant, not after. There is such a thing as
a site survey. The reps (and companies) don't do "site surveys", but
somebody does. They're typically paid for by the employer. Don't know
who does it or what it costs. I conducted my own site survey pre-op,
and supplied my data to the company and rep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" writes:

"SteveB" wrote: My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and
transplant. She spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What happens when you get kicked in the chest by a horse while driving?
Isn't this hazardous to the health of everyone near you on the road?

According to my father, it was certainly noticeable and got your
attention, but probably wasn't actually more hazardous than reaching
down to tune the radio. Of course, you get to choose when to adjust
your radio, and hopefully you avoid doing so when you're changine
lanes or something, and you don't get that luxury with the implant
firing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
news

"SteveB" wrote: My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and
transplant. She spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What happens when you get kicked in the chest by a horse while driving?
Isn't this hazardous to the health of everyone near you on the road?

Leo. Please reread the portion: "She said both were not good days."

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" Leo. Please reread the portion: "She said both were not good
days."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I did read that. My concern has to do with safety. Many people subject to
seizures are not allowed to drive at all. Where does this fall on the scale
between *perfectly safe* and *too dangerous to be permitted*?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She
spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at the
time.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"SteveB" Leo. Please reread the portion: "She said both were not good
days."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I did read that. My concern has to do with safety. Many people subject
to seizures are not allowed to drive at all. Where does this fall on the
scale between *perfectly safe* and *too dangerous to be permitted*?

I have no clue, Leo. Do you do everything you are told to do by doctors,
instructions, or people who are "supposed to know"? When I got out of the
hospital for heart bypass surgery, I was instructed to NEVER EVER TOUCH a
power tool again. I said, "Sure." The truth be known, if a secret survey
were done here, I imagine there would be some who were driving without a
license, driving with conditions that their DMV would like to hear about,
and doing things that their doctors wouldn't approve of. Many people who
have seizures are allowed to drive. Many people who have serious conditions
(including even seeing clearly at 50', as do many octogenarians) get
renewals, and are usually only yanked AFTER a major booboo.

I have an ascending aortic aneurysm. If it pops, I'm dead in a pool of
blood in eight minutes. The state has not pulled my license, although I did
have to furnish a doctor letter in order to get a driver's license and
handicap plates in this state.

If we all read the book, followed directions, and took doctor's advice, what
a beautiful thing it would be.

It just ain't gonna happen on our watch. No matter how many laws they
produce.

Is there anything in your personal closet you'd like to share with the
group? Do you do everything you're supposed to? Or are you a perfect
individual just commenting on the weaknesses and flaws of others?

It starts out, Hi, my name is Leo and ..................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She
spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at the
time.

Steve

For persons with ICD's, welding while flyfishing is not recommended.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She
spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She
said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at
the
time.

Steve

For persons with ICD's, welding while flyfishing is not recommended.

And stay away from graphite flyrods during lightning storms. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She
spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at the
time.

Ah, I hadn't heard of a case like that. In my father's case, he went
into fibrillation twice over a period of roughly ten years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She
spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She
said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at
the
time.

Steve

For persons with ICD's, welding while flyfishing is not recommended.

I've welded and electric arc cut underwater, and "getting bit" isn't all
that big a deal. It sure does eat the chrome and plating off yer hardhat,
though. I am curious as to what the additional elements would do. But I
sure would want to hear from someone else who has tried it. I got some old
scuba gear. Any volunteers?

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She
spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She
said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at
the
time.

Ah, I hadn't heard of a case like that. In my father's case, he went
into fibrillation twice over a period of roughly ten years.

Yeah, they can kick in when there are no symptoms present. My sis never did
figure out what triggered hers. She said it was like getting kicked by a
horse, and since she spent a lot of time on a farm and in the woods with
mules, figgered she had BTDT.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:24:55 -0800, the infamous "Leo Lichtman"
scrawled the following:

"SteveB" Leo. Please reread the portion: "She said both were not good
days."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I did read that. My concern has to do with safety. Many people subject to
seizures are not allowed to drive at all. Where does this fall on the scale
between *perfectly safe* and *too dangerous to be permitted*?

A defib event isn't exactly a seizure, Leo, and since the leads are on
the heart, it wouldn't be as much of a body whomp as paddles are. I'd
like to hear what happens to folks who have experienced it, though.

Steve, what did she say about the physical aspects of the events?

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:24:55 -0800, the infamous "Leo Lichtman"
scrawled the following:

"SteveB" Leo. Please reread the portion: "She said both were not good
days."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I did read that. My concern has to do with safety. Many people subject to
seizures are not allowed to drive at all. Where does this fall on the scale
between *perfectly safe* and *too dangerous to be permitted*?

From
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/...dures/icd.aspx

"ICD therapy: You may or may not be aware of when your ICD detects and
corrects your heart rhythm. Often it depends on the type of therapy
you receive:

* Pacing – you may or may not feel the impulses – usually they are
not detectable
* Cardioversion – shock feels like a thump on the chest;
discomfort does not linger
* Defibrillation – you may be unconscious (passed out) and not
feel the shock. If you are awake, the shock feels like a kick in the
chest; felt for only a moment."

So, if Steve's sister had 2 really bad days, she may have passed out
before the defib kicked in both times.

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:23:21 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

"SteveB" writes:

My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and transplant. She
spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

But without it, it would have been a much worse day.

Actually, the defib malfunctioned. She was not having fibrillations at the
time.

Steve

For persons with ICD's, welding while flyfishing is not recommended.

You owe me 1 new keyboard and 1 new monitor, ya sumbish. Milky tea
all OVER the place...

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote: It starts out, Hi, my name is Leo and .................
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi, my name is Leo, and I'm a little ****ed off. Nothing in any of my
comments implied that I am perfect, and I am not talking about the
imperfections of others, unless I include you. Your initial response was
abrasive, and this one is worse.

I think I was raising a legitimate question: "Can a defibrillator cause an
auto accident?" Joe Pfeiffer's response was appropriate: "According to my
father, it was certainly noticeable and got your
attention, but probably wasn't actually more hazardous than reaching
down to tune the radio. Of course, you get to choose when to adjust
your radio, and hopefully you avoid doing so when you're changing
lanes or something, and you don't get that luxury with the implant
firing."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Triple A CAN be repaired you know. Oh and it will take MUCH less than 8
minutes if it goes. The good thing is you won't make much of a mess, the
blood usually fills the abdominal cavity and any spaces in the tissues
before it leaves the body.

If we all read the book, followed directions, and took doctor's advice, what
a beautiful thing it would be.

It just ain't gonna happen on our watch. No matter how many laws they
produce.

And it would not make an appreciable difference in life expectancy or
unexpected death due to stroke or heart related problems. You can be in
perfect health and be very fit and still drop dead of MI or stroke.

Here is an interesting item that is making the rounds of EMS. Care to
guess who is having a problem with spontaneous pneumothorax?
Tall skinny males. Why? Nobody knows.

Is there anything in your personal closet you'd like to share with the
group? Do you do everything you're supposed to? Or are you a perfect
individual just commenting on the weaknesses and flaws of others?

It starts out, Hi, my name is Leo and ..................

Steve

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Wow, Leo! Sorry if I hit a nerve there, bud. Apparently you are not ready
to talk about it yet.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote: (clip) The rep was quite aware of my interests. He
kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Congratulations, and best wishes for an uneventful recovery. What did the
rep say regarding welding?

I don't think the batteries in those defibrillators have enough power to
weld anything.

;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have a pleasant Terran revolution.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:28:11 -0800, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote: My sis wore one for a good while before her LVA and
transplant. She spoke
of two incidents, one while driving, and one while flyfishing. She said
both were not good days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What happens when you get kicked in the chest by a horse while driving?
Isn't this hazardous to the health of everyone near you on the road?

Probably so. That said, probably less so than if a driver who needs a
kick doesn't get it, e.g. obese, never-exercising, artery-clogged old
smokers that are heart attacks waiting to happen with no on-board
remediation means. With no supporting data, I'd guess that there are
considerably more of those extant than there are posessors of ICD's.

The safest road isn't necessarily the one with no one else on it.
That's certainly true when you're the one with a problem you were't
prepared for.

In the UK they have magnetized signs for cars and motorcycles with
big red L's on them to identify Learners. That's a great idea.
Perhaps we should have big red signs saying ICD, inferring that other
drivers should be particularly attentive and stay well clear. Man,
I'd love that! That'd be like driving an APV in rushhour traffic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I liked George Carlin's idea of STUPID stickers. People who saw others
driving badly would put the sticker on their car. When a cop saw a car with
several STUPID stickers on it, they would watch them or pull them over.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:44:57 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote: (clip) The rep was quite aware of my interests. He
kidded me a bit about the
volume of email at his employer the past few days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Congratulations, and best wishes for an uneventful recovery. What did the
rep say regarding welding?

I don't think the batteries in those defibrillators have enough power to
weld anything.

;-)

Maybe once or twice, Paul. I'd bet that much of the volume of my unit
is lithium battery. It can deliver at least one and probably several
41 joule shots. When I repaired photoflash units as a kid I learned
that 50 joules would vaporize the end of a respectable screwdriver,
waking parents with a report like a .22 rifle which was NOT a good
idea.