Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Macabre metalworking

Tokyo collected some 700 grams of gold, 500 grams of palladium and 1.9 kg of
silver from cremated bodies in 2007, adding Y3.2 million (£24,600) to the
city's bank account. The city also banked around Y90,000 (£690) in coins
left as offering inside the coffins.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...us-metals.html

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Recycling. Don't eat the Soylent green.
--
Stupendous Man,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"AZOTIC" wrote:

Tokyo collected some 700 grams of gold, 500 grams of palladium and 1.9 kg of
silver from cremated bodies in 2007, adding Y3.2 million (£24,600) to the
city's bank account. The city also banked around Y90,000 (£690) in coins
left as offering inside the coffins.

That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in the Nazi death
camps.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-18, Wes wrote:
"AZOTIC" wrote:

Tokyo collected some 700 grams of gold, 500 grams of palladium and 1.9 kg of
silver from cremated bodies in 2007, adding Y3.2 million (?24,600) to the
city's bank account. The city also banked around Y90,000 (?690) in coins
left as offering inside the coffins.

That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on
in the Nazi death camps.

I thought that they were collecting that gold from ash piles. They did
not kill those people after all.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in the Nazi death
camps.

I watched a show on the Holocaust some years ago, they showed one open
crate, maybe 12"x12"x24, full of gold crowns. There were many such
crates....
The numbers of those killed in the death camps is staggering, but hard
to picture. Even accounting for many people having multiple crowns, to
see them boxed like that really drove it home.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13408 wrote:

I thought that they were collecting that gold from ash piles. They did
not kill those people after all.

Picking over the dead just turns my stomach. And if the family wants the ashes for an
urn, it is just plain stealing.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Wes wrote:
That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in the Nazi death
camps.

I watched a show on the Holocaust some years ago, they showed one open
crate, maybe 12"x12"x24, full of gold crowns. There were many such
crates....
The numbers of those killed in the death camps is staggering, but hard
to picture. Even accounting for many people having multiple crowns, to
see them boxed like that really drove it home.

citibank took care of all of the nazi gold.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...rssnyt&emc=rss

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Wes wrote:
That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in the
Nazi death
camps.

I watched a show on the Holocaust some years ago, they showed one open
crate, maybe 12"x12"x24, full of gold crowns. There were many such
crates....
The numbers of those killed in the death camps is staggering, but hard to
picture. Even accounting for many people having multiple crowns, to see
them boxed like that really drove it home.

Jon

Jon,

I saw that show, too, and IIRC, that was gold from FRENCH Jews who were
assessed that gold by the (FRENCH) government to keep from turning them over
to the Nazis.

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Interesting note in that - the Spanish paid for a telephone system
from ITT with Nazi Gold via the independent company called Reserve Board.

Yes the Reserve board is a band of Bankers that tell banks and the US
what to do. Buys money at paper/cost and sells it to the banks at USD.
There has to be some payback somewhere - but one wonders...

Martin

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Jon Anderson wrote:
Wes wrote:
That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in the Nazi death
camps.

I watched a show on the Holocaust some years ago, they showed one open
crate, maybe 12"x12"x24, full of gold crowns. There were many such
crates....
The numbers of those killed in the death camps is staggering, but hard
to picture. Even accounting for many people having multiple crowns, to
see them boxed like that really drove it home.

citibank took care of all of the nazi gold.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...rssnyt&emc=rss

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:
I saw that show, too, and IIRC, that was gold from FRENCH Jews who were
assessed that gold by the (FRENCH) government to keep from turning them over
to the Nazis.

Might be the same film clip recycled into another show. Maybe I missed it
or just forgot the narrative, I sure don't recall that bit of info.
There's some
classic WWII scenes that I've seen in half a dozen or more movies.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Wes wrote:
That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in the Nazi death
camps.

I watched a show on the Holocaust some years ago, they showed one open
crate, maybe 12"x12"x24, full of gold crowns. There were many such
crates....
The numbers of those killed in the death camps is staggering, but hard
to picture. Even accounting for many people having multiple crowns, to
see them boxed like that really drove it home.

Jon

Yes, staggering, but not sufficient for the world to learn a lesson as
there have been many more genocides since then.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in the
Nazi death
camps.

You are too squeamish.
By that logic, since "Nazi" scientists invented things , we should ditch
synthetic lubricants, destroy all rockets, and go back to piston engined
aircraft.
Ever buy a "Bayer" brand asprin? Parent company I.G. Farben made "Zyclon B"
and backed such physicians doing clinical evaluations as Josef Mengele.

Get over it. A lot of my family never left the camps, but I own a Mercedes.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

...snip
By that logic, since "Nazi" scientists invented things , we should ditch
synthetic lubricants, destroy all rockets, and go back to piston engined
aircraft.

Eh? - The jet engine was invented by (Sir) Frank Whittle in 1928 and
patented in 1930. He was born in Coventry, England.
See http://www.cwn.org.uk/heritage/peopl...biography.html

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"lemelman" wrote in message
Stupendous Man wrote:

...snip
By that logic, since "Nazi" scientists invented things , we should ditch
synthetic lubricants, destroy all rockets, and go back to piston engined
aircraft.

Eh? - The jet engine was invented by (Sir) Frank Whittle in 1928 and
patented in 1930. He was born in Coventry, England.
See http://www.cwn.org.uk/heritage/peopl...biography.html

They still have an example flying.
The trouble is the thing isn't scalable in modern airframes.
The German designs were problematic because materials lagged behind but the
concept was more useful.
Whittle's got fatter as the output increased. The kraut design just got
longer.

PBS did a great one hour special on all of this.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John R. Carroll wrote:
"lemelman" wrote in message

Stupendous Man wrote:

...snip
By that logic, since "Nazi" scientists invented things , we should ditch
synthetic lubricants, destroy all rockets, and go back to piston engined
aircraft.

Eh? - The jet engine was invented by (Sir) Frank Whittle in 1928 and
patented in 1930. He was born in Coventry, England.
See http://www.cwn.org.uk/heritage/peopl...biography.html

They still have an example flying.
The trouble is the thing isn't scalable in modern airframes.
The German designs were problematic because materials lagged behind but the
concept was more useful.
Whittle's got fatter as the output increased. The kraut design just got
longer.

PBS did a great one hour special on all of this.

JC

Whittle did have ideas for axial flow turbines and what we now know as
the turbo fan, if only the British government had given him more
backing. IIRC Whittle had to try at times and find private investment
finance but because the work was being done for the government he
couldn't tell the investors what is was for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had the honor and privilage to hear both Sir Francis Whittle and Hans Von
Ohain talk together at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force
Base. At the time both were employed by the US Department of Defense.
Whittle acknowledged that Germany got the first jet aircraft into the air.
He said that he know that when he saw a picture of the grass runway that
they used with twin burn marks from the jet exhaust. He saw the photo the
day after the flight. [talk about good spying]. Von Ohain said that this
was the first that he heard of the transfer of information. Both were
friends at the time.
Metalworking content Von Ohain said that his limiting factor of development
was materials. As a work around they used beer cans shaped to make the
turbine vanes. They were replaced after every flight. The maintenance crew
did not complain about having to procure more.
Bert
"David Billington" wrote in message
John R. Carroll wrote:
"lemelman" wrote in message

Stupendous Man wrote:

...snip
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 20, 6:22*am, David Billington
wrote:

Whittle did have ideas for axial flow turbines and what we now know as
the turbo fan, ...

"The Airplane Engine", by Lionel S. Marks, 1922, page 442:

"Gas turbines have been under active development for over fifteen
years but the difficulties inherent in them have not as yet been
overcome without sacrificing their potential efficiencies. The
principal troubles are those resulting from the high temperatures to
which the combustion chambers, nozzles, and buckets are
subjected....Over-all thermal efficiencies are usually about 5 per
cent, although an unsubstantiated value of 20 per cent has been
claimed for a 1,000-h.p. unit....Its simplicity and light weight have
attracted many inventors, but there are no indications that it is ever
likely to become practically available."

1922 - 15 = 1907

There are drawings of piston engines showing up to six valves per
cylinder and double overhead cams, plus some really exotic multiple-
crankshaft arrangements including a supercharged, direct injection,
opposed piston two stroke that became the WW2 US submarine engine. The
best specific gas consumption was apparently a little under 0.5 Lb /
Hp-Hr with compression ratios held down by the low octane rating to
6:1 or less.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Tagge's wrote:
[...]

I remember seeing one of those early German engines sectioned many years
ago in either the Science Museum in London or the German Museum in
Munich. It showed the hollow blades used at the time and the reason
given was that the Germans were very short of strategic materials to
make the high temperature resisting alloys so the blades were made of
sheet rather than solid. Maybe the beer cans were used in the compressor
section but I doubt they would last long in the hot bits. IIRC lifespan
wasn't such an issue as the planes would most likely get shot down
before engine failure.

"David Billington" wrote in message

John R. Carroll wrote:

"lemelman" wrote in message

Stupendous Man wrote:

...snip
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 20, 11:05*am, David Billington
wrote:

I remember seeing one of those early German engines sectioned many years
ago in either the Science Museum in London or the German Museum in
Munich. ....IIRC lifespan
wasn't such an issue as the planes would most likely get shot down
before engine failure.

As I understood it they were relatively invulnerable until one engine
failed (often) or they slowed down to land. Allied fighters swarmed
around Me262 airfields, which were defended by the best versions of
the FW190.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:
That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in
the Nazi death
camps.

You are too squeamish.
By that logic, since "Nazi" scientists invented things , we should ditch
synthetic lubricants, destroy all rockets, and go back to piston engined
aircraft.
Ever buy a "Bayer" brand asprin? Parent company I.G. Farben made "Zyclon
B" and backed such physicians doing clinical evaluations as Josef Mengele.

"IG Farben" was not a company. It stands for "Interessen gemeinschaft
Farben", it translates literally as "special interest group for
dyestuffs manufacturers". It was a legal cartel set up by the
incredibly powerful German dyestuffs makers, who practically invented
modern chemistry in the 19th century. Bayer, BASF, and a whole host of
other familiar names today were the industrial powerhouses of the 1870's
to 1930's, and pretty much "owned" the German government like the
military-industrial complex or other powerful special interests today.
I'm not sure who actually made the Zyklon B used in the gas chambers.
Zyklon was a potent, synthetic insecticide gas used for fumigating
buildings. Zyklon B was the same stuff without the required odor that
told people to stay away from the fumigation area. But, I don't think
it was Bayer. Isn't Bayer actually Swiss, anyway?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:49:26 +0000, lemelman
wrote:

Stupendous Man wrote:

...snip
By that logic, since "Nazi" scientists invented things , we should ditch
synthetic lubricants, destroy all rockets, and go back to piston engined
aircraft.

Eh? - The jet engine was invented by (Sir) Frank Whittle in 1928 and
patented in 1930. He was born in Coventry, England.
See http://www.cwn.org.uk/heritage/peopl...biography.html

I even have (somewhere) the paperback edition of his book - an
interesting read.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

metalworking [email protected] Metalworking 0 August 1st 08 12:28 PM
some FUN-NY metalworking William Wixon Metalworking 4 February 19th 08 02:37 PM
OT ER metalworking azotic Metalworking 5 December 29th 07 10:18 PM
Metalworking Brandon Metalworking 0 July 20th 07 08:59 PM