Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Macabre metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:
That is just sick. Reminds me too much of the mining that went on in
the Nazi death
camps.

You are too squeamish.
By that logic, since "Nazi" scientists invented things , we should ditch
synthetic lubricants, destroy all rockets, and go back to piston engined
aircraft.
Ever buy a "Bayer" brand asprin? Parent company I.G. Farben made "Zyclon
B" and backed such physicians doing clinical evaluations as Josef Mengele.

"IG Farben" was not a company. It stands for "Interessen gemeinschaft
Farben", it translates literally as "special interest group for
dyestuffs manufacturers". It was a legal cartel set up by the
incredibly powerful German dyestuffs makers, who practically invented
modern chemistry in the 19th century. Bayer, BASF, and a whole host of
other familiar names today were the industrial powerhouses of the 1870's
to 1930's, and pretty much "owned" the German government like the
military-industrial complex or other powerful special interests today.
I'm not sure who actually made the Zyklon B used in the gas chambers.
Zyklon was a potent, synthetic insecticide gas used for fumigating
buildings. Zyklon B was the same stuff without the required odor that
told people to stay away from the fumigation area. But, I don't think
it was Bayer. Isn't Bayer actually Swiss, anyway?

Jon