Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Threading with triangular inserts

I have a straight toolholder that takes a T P G 322 insert. I would
like to know if I can find an insert like this that would have a small
enough edge radius to be used for threading.

By the way, I am fully convinced now that flood cooling is the way to
go anywhere where heat is an issue. For example, yesterday I parted a
steel bar, which always was troublesome due to heat. No problem with
flood coolant. The only minus with flood is that I cannot use my lathe
try as a shelf to keep stuff. No big deal. No rust seems to result
from flood coolant either.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 9:11*am, Ignoramus18994 ignoramus18...@NOSPAM.
18994.invalid wrote:
I have a straight toolholder that takes a T P G 322 insert. I would
like to know if I can find an insert like this that would have a small
enough edge radius to be used for threading.

Tip radius for TPG322 is 1/32", for TPG321 it's 1/64". According to my
homemade hand grinding chart 0.016" is about right for 8 - 12TPI. You
could try it on finer threads and drill out the female thread a little
if it doesn't fit well.

jw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus18994" wrote in message
I have a straight toolholder that takes a T P G 322 insert. I would
like to know if I can find an insert like this that would have a small
enough edge radius to be used for threading.

download and install the thread calculator on this page Ig.

http://www.endmill.com/pages/software.html

A Zero TNR is about .003"-.005". A one is .015".
You can purchase threading inserts if you need to hole print tolerances but
what you need to worry most about is the pitch diameter and form.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carbide likes higher speeds and deeper DOC. This makes using it for
manual threading difficult at best. You'd do best to stay with HSS.

Now for my CHNC lathe, I use carbide threading inserts and thread
around 2000 RPM. Works great. But these aren't TPG, they are just for
threading.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:11:07 -0600, Ignoramus18994
wrote:

I have a straight toolholder that takes a T P G 322 insert. I would
like to know if I can find an insert like this that would have a small
enough edge radius to be used for threading.

By the way, I am fully convinced now that flood cooling is the way to
go anywhere where heat is an issue. For example, yesterday I parted a
steel bar, which always was troublesome due to heat. No problem with
flood coolant. The only minus with flood is that I cannot use my lathe
try as a shelf to keep stuff. No big deal. No rust seems to result
from flood coolant either.

Yep. Check this link:
http://www.arwarnerco.com/warner_pro...s_turning.html

I've used the smaller radius inserts for threading. They also have
dedicated threading tools which look nice, pricey though. Their
inserts are T-15 HSS, and pretty sharp. They're nice folks to call
and talk to.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete sez: Yep. Check this link:
http://www.arwarnerco.com/warner_pro...s_turning.html

Nice site Pete. Thanx. Inserts are great for threading but don't forget the absolute
minimum-radiused nose for fine threading can be achieved with HSS.

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:13:56 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Pete sez: Yep. Check this link:
http://www.arwarnerco.com/warner_pro...s_turning.html

Nice site Pete. Thanx. Inserts are great for threading but don't forget the absolute
minimum-radiused nose for fine threading can be achieved with HSS.

Bob Swinney

These are HSS inserts. You can grind them as well, say for lead
angle, although I haven't tried that. Dick Triemstra got me onto
these when he sold me the lathe in 2001. They're better than carbide
in most instances for the low power, less rigid machines we hobbyists
have. Yeah, I do grind HSS for some stuff, internal threading, shaper
bits, etc.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-15, Pete Keillor wrote:
These are HSS inserts. You can grind them as well, say for lead
angle, although I haven't tried that. Dick Triemstra got me onto
these when he sold me the lathe in 2001. They're better than carbide
in most instances for the low power, less rigid machines we hobbyists
have. Yeah, I do grind HSS for some stuff, internal threading, shaper
bits, etc.

My lathe is 3 HP, 1,400 lbs. So it is heavy enough for carbide.I have
looked a lot at carbide threading tools, on ebay, and I have not found
anything worth buying. I will stick to HSS tools for now.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/