Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Involuntary Usenet Vacation over, and a Trencher to fix.

Not-so-Old "Old" compooter picked up a Trojan through MSIE and a
hacked website ful of Nastyware, still have to wipe and rebuild it.
(Q: How do I dual-boot XP and Ubuntu?)

Bought new Vista SP1 x64 machine, just getting all moved in and
comfortable, and at the same time bought Agent 5.0 and have to learn
this whole Desks and Personas business. And get the preferences and
button bars and frames all back where I want them and nailed down.

Then I have to start experimenting and see which programs can cope
with a monitor that rotates to Portrait Mode on the fly. I think I
gave Firefox a heart attack (or at least a kernel panic) when I tried
it.

And I have to start rebuilding my kook filters (some fools take
twenty or thirty entries) and search through a month's backlog...

Okay, anything important I missed? Births, Deaths, Epic "You
Suck!"s...

Next on the agenda: Getting a borrowed Case Davis Fleetline 12+2
trencher running again so I can put it to work. 16 HP (?) one-lung
Briggs with a Zenith carb and that nifty belt-drive Delco
starter/generator. It cranks, and it /almost/ starts...

Have to get the sprinklers and drainage fixed this winter, Or Else.
Place looks like Okies live here, and I don't wanna be the worst
looking house on the block any more.

-- Bruce --
--
This message created with 100% Recycled Electrons - Please do your part and recycle when done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
Not-so-Old "Old" compooter picked up a Trojan through MSIE and a
hacked website ful of Nastyware, still have to wipe and rebuild it.
(Q: How do I dual-boot XP and Ubuntu?)

Install XP first, Ubuntu second and answer "yes" when it asks you that
it found XP and offers to dual boot.

Bought new Vista SP1 x64 machine, just getting all moved in and
comfortable, and at the same time bought Agent 5.0 and have to learn
this whole Desks and Personas business. And get the preferences and
button bars and frames all back where I want them and nailed down.

Then I have to start experimenting and see which programs can cope
with a monitor that rotates to Portrait Mode on the fly. I think I
gave Firefox a heart attack (or at least a kernel panic) when I tried
it.

And I have to start rebuilding my kook filters (some fools take
twenty or thirty entries) and search through a month's backlog...

Sounds like the first thing to do, would be to get automatic backups
working.

Okay, anything important I missed? Births, Deaths, Epic "You
Suck!"s...

Backup

Next on the agenda: Getting a borrowed Case Davis Fleetline 12+2
trencher running again so I can put it to work. 16 HP (?) one-lung
Briggs with a Zenith carb and that nifty belt-drive Delco
starter/generator. It cranks, and it /almost/ starts...

Have to get the sprinklers and drainage fixed this winter, Or Else.
Place looks like Okies live here, and I don't wanna be the worst
looking house on the block any more.

-- Bruce --

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
Not-so-Old "Old" compooter picked up a Trojan through MSIE and a
hacked website ful of Nastyware, still have to wipe and rebuild it.
(Q: How do I dual-boot XP and Ubuntu?)

Install XP first, Ubuntu second and answer "yes" when it asks you that
it found XP and offers to dual boot.

Think "easy" and "safe". You will have to learn some "Linuxisms" as you
go along, but Ubuntu is a very good way to do so. Ubuntu is _almost_ to
the point where I would give it to my mother -- and she does _not_
understand computers.

(Note -- they added a few too many features at once to 8.04, one of
which broke the Windows file sharing unless you're a bit of a Linux
geek. For me, it allowed me to become more of a Linux geek. You may
not want to go there, so consider 8.10 which I've heard hints of being
better, or getting the last "7." version.)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-29, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
Not-so-Old "Old" compooter picked up a Trojan through MSIE and a
hacked website ful of Nastyware, still have to wipe and rebuild it.
(Q: How do I dual-boot XP and Ubuntu?)

Install XP first, Ubuntu second and answer "yes" when it asks you that
it found XP and offers to dual boot.

Think "easy" and "safe". You will have to learn some "Linuxisms" as you
go along, but Ubuntu is a very good way to do so. Ubuntu is _almost_ to
the point where I would give it to my mother -- and she does _not_
understand computers.

(Note -- they added a few too many features at once to 8.04, one of
which broke the Windows file sharing unless you're a bit of a Linux
geek. For me, it allowed me to become more of a Linux geek. You may
not want to go there, so consider 8.10 which I've heard hints of being
better, or getting the last "7." version.)

They both work OK for me. I have upgraded everything at home to 8.10.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

10' trencher? Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 0 March 27th 08 05:13 PM
Your vacation eterica Metalworking 15 February 9th 08 08:09 PM
Your vacation eterica Metalworking 0 February 6th 08 07:49 PM
Your vacation eterica UK diy 0 February 6th 08 07:48 PM
DIY Trencher with 32" (max) wheel base?? Oren Home Repair 7 September 30th 06 05:04 PM