Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Good basic milling and turning technique books?

Looking to buy a few books on basic milling and turning techniques. I have
an elderly Bridgeport universal mill with a 2 axis DRO, and an eqaully
elderly Harrison 11 inch swing, gap bed lathe. Both are capable of doing
infinitely more than I know what to tell them to do, though, so i would
like to treat myself to some decent reading material. I am in the UK, but
would buy from abroad if necessary. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris Wilson wrote:
Looking to buy a few books on basic milling and turning techniques. I have
an elderly Bridgeport universal mill with a 2 axis DRO, and an eqaully
elderly Harrison 11 inch swing, gap bed lathe. Both are capable of doing
infinitely more than I know what to tell them to do, though, so i would
like to treat myself to some decent reading material. I am in the UK, but
would buy from abroad if necessary. Thanks

From Mr. Logan's excellent FAQ:
http://metalworking.com/tutorials/AR...524-index.html

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris Wilson wrote:
Looking to buy a few books on basic milling and turning techniques. I have
an elderly Bridgeport universal mill with a 2 axis DRO, and an eqaully
elderly Harrison 11 inch swing, gap bed lathe. Both are capable of doing
infinitely more than I know what to tell them to do, though, so i would
like to treat myself to some decent reading material. I am in the UK, but
would buy from abroad if necessary. Thanks

The best shop texts you will ever find are the "Forth Edition (1962 and
reprints)" versions of "Workshop Technology" by W.A.J. Chapman,
Principal, Hatfield College of Technology, Hertfordshire.

There are three volumes (parts I, II and III) containing some 1300 pages
of EASY reading and instruction.

Later versions are smaller but updated for metric and ISO standards,
omitting inch units. Later version also sadly omit much of the handy
shop techniques that were gleaned from what must have been hundreds of
thousands of man hours of work distilled over a lifetime by the author.

These were the texts used by our Peace Corps in the 60s' for machine
shop training and cover every possible use for any possible tool that
might be found in the shop up to that time. They were meant to teach to
the last man on earth who could read english, how to be a machinist.

After a little Google search I found this link for you (used book seller).

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/... tory%20course

Everything pre 1975 are good, 4th editions are best.

Matt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 06:07:08 -0600, matthew maguire wrote:

Chris Wilson wrote:
[...]

Excellent information, thanks sincerely for your trouble. I have found and
ordered parts one and 3 from Amazon, with whom I have an account. All the
best, thanks again
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris Wilson wrote:
Looking to buy a few books on basic milling and turning techniques. I have
an elderly Bridgeport universal mill with a 2 axis DRO, and an eqaully
elderly Harrison 11 inch swing, gap bed lathe. Both are capable of doing
infinitely more than I know what to tell them to do, though, so i would
like to treat myself to some decent reading material. I am in the UK, but
would buy from abroad if necessary. Thanks

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend two books from the Workshop
Practice Series, published in the UK. #34 Lathework: A Complete Course
and #35 Milling: A Complete Course. Both are by Harold Hall, a former
editor of Model Engineers' Workshop, and are collections of articles he
wrote for MEW. They focus on building simple but useful accessories and
small workshop tools, so you get both practice and something to keep.
Camden Miniature Steam Services in Somerset sells them, as do, I suspect,
many other places on your side of the pond.

Tove

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't own one, but in the past, one of the most recommended books has
been:
How To Run A Lathe by South Bend
Not hard to find, it's been reprinted many times.

You also might check at a university book store because there are college
courses involving shop metalworking and machining.
There is a category/class of formula-type car racing that some universities
are involved in now.

According to a couple of TV programs I've seen regarding the race cars, many
of the parts of the cars are made in the universities' machine shops.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
Looking to buy a few books on basic milling and turning techniques. I have
an elderly Bridgeport universal mill with a 2 axis DRO, and an eqaully
elderly Harrison 11 inch swing, gap bed lathe. Both are capable of doing
infinitely more than I know what to tell them to do, though, so i would
like to treat myself to some decent reading material. I am in the UK, but
would buy from abroad if necessary. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
I don't own one, but in the past, one of the most recommended books has
been:
How To Run A Lathe by South Bend
Not hard to find, it's been reprinted many times.

$7.95 at Little Machine Shop

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=1596
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris Wilson wrote:

(snip)

Excellent information, thanks sincerely for your trouble. I have found and
ordered parts one and 3 from Amazon, with whom I have an account. All the
best, thanks again

Let me know if your Vol I contains about 30 pages introducing the
shaper, if not, a used bookseller might work out better for Vol I&II.

Matt