John Canty

Default A good basic Scroll Saw

I am looking at purchasing a Scroll Saw in the next couple of days. I
have reviewed a couple of books, (Nelson and Spielman, as well as the
most recent Workbench review of scroll saws.) I have noted the key
features such as blade changing, bevel tilt on both sides versus one,
not using pinned blades, etc. Here is where I am at: I am looking
for a good basic Scroll Saw for at most $250. I an not going to do a
great deal of Fret Woork. I need to make some Pinewood Derby Cars,
basic holiday cutouts, such as described in the December 2002 issue of
Wood Magazine, etc. I hope to let my son "break into" woodworking
with this tool.

My intentions are to purchase a good to very good 14 inch bansdsaw as
I develop my shop. With this in mind, is the Delta 350 16 inch
Variable that much better than the Craftsman 21610? Is there another
model for my needs that I have overlooked? I am aware of the bias
against "anything Craftsman" in my review of user group responses.
Are their products really that bad?

I can get a Delta 350 LS with a stand from Amazon/ToolCrib for $199.
I can get a 21610 from Sears for about $113. Which would be the best
given my needs?

Thank you in advance.

John Canty
Tom

I just got the Delta 350 from amazon. What an improvement over my old cheap
import saw.
Smooth, quiet, blade changes are a snap- 10 seconds.

The rest of the story....
My saw had an "infant mortality" problem. 3 days after I got it the motor
started making knocking noises. Found the problem to be loose motor cover
screws, allowing the motor to shift it's axis and possibly rub the armiture.
I called Delta, explained the problem, (ready sto start cursing and
complaining if they didn't satisfy- but unwarrented) they asked if I wanted
a new saw or a new motor assembly with speed controller. New motor shipped
to me at no cost.
Can't say enough about their customer care.

"John Canty" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Rob Hall

I just recently got a Dremel scroll saw. I love it. Blade changes are a
snap. The dust blower works great and will stay where ever you want it.
That's just my 2 cents

Rob

--
"This is the price of manhood - acting when you must and not complaining
that someone may get hurt."
"John Canty" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Juergen Hannappel

(John Canty) writes:

I am looking at purchasing a Scroll Saw in the next couple of days. I

Hust a side remark: On a "christmas market" (how do you call that in
english?) i recently saw a treadle powered scroll saw, really a nice
oldfashioned tool.
--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe
Jim

I bought the Craftsman 16" and it is basically a good saw. However, the
major complaint I have is that the blade clamp mechanism is a thumb
screw which pinches the blade against another screw. This makes it
difficult to clamp the blade without bending it or clamping it too tight
so that it breaks when the tension is applied.

I wound up ordering the Delta clamp and retrofitting for my machine.

This was my first scrollsaw and I didn't understand the importance of
the clamping mechanism (assumed they all worked well). As far as I can
tell the Dremel has the same type of clamp as the craftsman.

If I was doing it over, I'd buy the delta for the same price next time.

Also, the variable speed is only important if you are cutting different
types of material (metal, plastic, etc). If you are just cutting wood,
a single or dual speed should work fine.

my $.02.
Jim

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in
news