Default more info wanted on a vase turning technique

Hi

My friend told me he heard about a certain technique that piqued my
interest. Can anyone give me a web site or more info on the subject.
From what I understand you take lets say a 4 x4 cut it into 4 pcs of 2

x 2. Double side tape it back together. Turn it in a certain way. Pull
the 4 pieces apart and orient the turn sides inward and glue together.
Then once again turn the piece but this time you cut through some how
into the void.
Thats all I know. sorry for the bad grammer. Any help would be
appriecated

Peter

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

My friend told me he heard about a certain technique that piqued my
interest. Can anyone give me a web site or more info on the subject.
From what I understand you take lets say a 4 x4 cut it into 4 pcs of 2

x 2. Double side tape it back together. Turn it in a certain way. Pull
the 4 pieces apart and orient the turn sides inward and glue together.
Then once again turn the piece but this time you cut through some how
into the void.
Thats all I know. sorry for the bad grammer. Any help would be
appriecated

Inside out turning. Quick search at www.metacrawler.com should get a few
hits like http://www.chattwoodturners.org/

Ken Moon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

My friend told me he heard about a certain technique that piqued my
interest. Can anyone give me a web site or more info on the subject.
From what I understand you take lets say a 4 x4 cut it into 4 pcs of 2

x 2. Double side tape it back together. Turn it in a certain way. Pull
the 4 pieces apart and orient the turn sides inward and glue together.
Then once again turn the piece but this time you cut through some how
into the void.
Thats all I know. sorry for the bad grammer. Any help would be
appriecated

Peter

=================
Peter,
Do a goole search in this news group on "inside out turning", or "involute
turning". That will give you some good info. You have the basic concept in
your description above. Just be sure all the pieces you start with are the
exact same dimensions (like running all sides through a table saw to insure
identical dimensions. BTW, you don't cut into the void normally. You make
the outside match the void area, or embellish to your own design. Cutting
into the void gives you a 4-winged "vase". Interesting, but hazardous! {:-O

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Bob Daun

There was actually an article (I think it was in Woodworker's Journal)
probably 10 or more years ago. It was a plan for a bud vase using the
described technique. I used the article to modify the basic plan into a
walnut lamp that is hollow in the center with small openings on 4 sides. I
used the procedure pretty much as described above. What I did though rather
than use double stick tape (that was not in the original article) to glue
the 4 2x2's together was to use regular aliphatic resin glue but inserted
craft paper at the glued surfaces. Then when the first turning is complete,
I just used a large chisel to split them back apart prior to rotating the
pieces and re-gluing (of course without the paper this time).
"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

My friend told me he heard about a certain technique that piqued my
interest. Can anyone give me a web site or more info on the subject.
From what I understand you take lets say a 4 x4 cut it into 4 pcs of 2