Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tove Momerathsson[_2_] Tove Momerathsson[_2_] is offline

Default Good basic milling and turning technique books?

Chris Wilson wrote:
Looking to buy a few books on basic milling and turning techniques. I have
an elderly Bridgeport universal mill with a 2 axis DRO, and an eqaully
elderly Harrison 11 inch swing, gap bed lathe. Both are capable of doing
infinitely more than I know what to tell them to do, though, so i would
like to treat myself to some decent reading material. I am in the UK, but
would buy from abroad if necessary. Thanks

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend two books from the Workshop
Practice Series, published in the UK. #34 Lathework: A Complete Course
and #35 Milling: A Complete Course. Both are by Harold Hall, a former
editor of Model Engineers' Workshop, and are collections of articles he
wrote for MEW. They focus on building simple but useful accessories and
small workshop tools, so you get both practice and something to keep.
Camden Miniature Steam Services in Somerset sells them, as do, I suspect,
many other places on your side of the pond.

Tove