Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport hole in the wall

Gentlemen.

I am still in the process of covering up the gaping hole in the back
bedroom wall after removing the studs and siding in order to shove the
Bridgeport into its new home.

In order to prepare for the day I might want to take it OUT again I
embarked on a grande scheme to install 36" "french doors" in the
hole. I have framed in the opening with 4" channel iron. Now I'm
installing and trimming the two steel doors. I'm slow as molasses in
the winter but I do good work what little there is of it.

By the time I'm done the doors will be about as secure as doors can
be. Then I will resume work rewiring the house and installing the VFD
to drive the mill.

As slow as I move y'all should rejoice that I'm not on your payroll.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:50:12 -0800 (PST), Vernon
wrote:

Gentlemen.

I am still in the process of covering up the gaping hole in the back
bedroom wall after removing the studs and siding in order to shove the
Bridgeport into its new home.

In order to prepare for the day I might want to take it OUT again I
embarked on a grande scheme to install 36" "french doors" in the
hole. I have framed in the opening with 4" channel iron. Now I'm
installing and trimming the two steel doors. I'm slow as molasses in
the winter but I do good work what little there is of it.

By the time I'm done the doors will be about as secure as doors can
be. Then I will resume work rewiring the house and installing the VFD
to drive the mill.

As slow as I move y'all should rejoice that I'm not on your payroll.

Steel doors framed with 4" channel iron, yes! I'd love to see the
faces of the SWAT team that tries to bash thru that with their door
ram, nevermind the burglar with the prybar.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

ram, nevermind the burglar with the prybar. *- Hide quoted text -

Don, if it's the SWAT team I'll just let 'em provided they say "pretty
please" and the magic password. But the burglar guy is gonna just
have to work hard lfor his keep just like the rest of us. V
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Vernon
wrote on Tue, 9 Dec 2008 23:24:50 -0800 (PST) in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

[...]

LOL.

"The world does owe you a living, son. But you're going to have
to work like hell to collect."

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vernon wrote:
Gentlemen.

(snip)

As slow as I move y'all should rejoice that I'm not on your payroll.

LOL, I can't remember how many times I thought something would be a
short project and upon finishing, I reasoned that at "50 cents per hour"
nobody could afford it.

The "worst" is when somebody else thinks it's easy (like wife....), my
usual response is "yea, lets open the box and see if it just miracles
itself there and works".

Matt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As slow as I move y'all should rejoice that I'm not on your payroll.

"Father" Darwin Power owned a welding and machine shop in Bass Harbor,
Maine and had a reputation as a story teller. He once told me, "Bill
was the best man I ever had working for me, he was so slow he couldn't
screw up a job before I could stop him."

Some keyword spamming here since I don't find anything about Father on
the 'net, and he deserves a mention:
Father Power
Darwin Power
Power and Robinson
Bass Harbor
Town Hill

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As slow as I move y'all should rejoice that I'm not on your payroll.

"Father" Darwin Power owned a welding and machine shop in Bass Harbor,
Maine and had a reputation as a story teller. He once told me, "Bill
was the best man I ever had working for me, he was so slow he couldn't
screw up a job before I could stop him."

Some keyword spamming here since I don't find anything about Father on
the 'net, and he deserves a mention:
Father Power
Darwin Power
Power and Robinson
Bass Harbor
Town Hill

--
Ned Simmons

Ned, Two others I like a "If you want a job done right give it to
a lazy man".
I think I read a "byline" in here that said. "Laziness is nothing
more than resting before you get tired". V
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Vernon" wrote in message
Gentlemen.

I am still in the process of covering up the gaping hole in the back
bedroom wall after removing the studs and siding in order to shove the
Bridgeport into its new home.

In order to prepare for the day I might want to take it OUT again I
embarked on a grande scheme to install 36" "french doors" in the
hole. I have framed in the opening with 4" channel iron. Now I'm
installing and trimming the two steel doors. I'm slow as molasses in
the winter but I do good work what little there is of it.

By the time I'm done the doors will be about as secure as doors can
be. Then I will resume work rewiring the house and installing the VFD
to drive the mill.

As slow as I move y'all should rejoice that I'm not on your payroll.

While you are probably committed to the door idea, what also can be done in
these cases is to make a removable wall section that is held in place with
pins rather than going to all the fuss of hanging swinging doors.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 8:30*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"Vernon" wrote in message

[...]

they come up with this striped stuff.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Roger. I actually gave serious thought to that. I opted for doors
largely for cosmetic reasons. V