Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ER 16 Collets **INCH** sizes

Does anyone know of a source for ER16 collets ground to INCH
fractional sizes?
I'm not interested in the dual metric/inch type or high dollar high
precision types.
These used to be availble from Enco, etc.
What I mean is, for instance, a loose 1/4" collet will accept a .250
tool shank
and hold it lightly or nearly so.
The 6-7 mm (.275" bore) 1/4" equivalent has the be closed most of the
way to grip.
These are just a pain to use with fractional inch shanks with all the
extra screwing
and unscrewing and when the collet pops loose suddenly the tool drops
out if you don't
have a finger ready to hold it.
I'm sure the runout accuracy suffers, but the self holding feature is
what I miss.
Thanks for any help,
RichD, Atlanta
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 22:03:16 -0800 (PST), RichD
wrote:

[...]

--------------
see http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...ctID=3900-5150
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...=3900-5165&p=2
and possibly other pages

FWIW -- I have ordered items from HHIP and been pleased with
their quality and service. Note that they are the "commercial"
side of "The Little Machine Shop"
http://littlemachineshop.com/

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks George,
but as shown in the specs chart those are actually metric collets.
The 1/4" collet max dia (the loose dia) is .275" (7mm).
It seems no one is making these in fractional inch sizes anymore.
RichD

seehttp://hhip.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3900-5150http://hhip.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3900-5165&p=2
and possibly other pages

FWIW -- I have ordered items from HHIP and been pleased with
their quality and service. Note that they are the "commercial"
side of "The Little Machine Shop"http://littlemachineshop.com/

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RichD" wrote in message

Thanks George,
but as shown in the specs chart those are actually metric collets.
The 1/4" collet max dia (the loose dia) is .275" (7mm).
It seems no one is making these in fractional inch sizes anymore.
RichD

Sure they do Rich.
I buy them all the time but I can't recall the manufacturer off hand.
I order from a local tool supplier that knows I'll send back a metric collet
if I've ordered an inch size.
They take care of it. I know Regofix makes them but that isn't what I'm
getting.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 4, 10:03*pm, RichD wrote:
[...]

Shars.com has ER collets, listed as American sizes. $10.50 each.
Note: If you need them NOW, call to make sure they are in stock.

DJ