Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rhodes vertical shaper

I just got my own Xmas present.
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350125796308

By chance, does anyone else own one? Long shot, is there a manual for this
unit?

When I get it working to my satisfaction, I have a Bridgeport slotter
attachment for sale.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This puzzles me: why would the table be perpendicular to the ram travel?
I'd think parallel would be better - the ram/tool could travel past
the table. And work holding would be easier, I'd think.

Nice thing about "vertical is the smaller footprint - I like that.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:56:04 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

This puzzles me: why would the table be perpendicular to the ram travel?
I'd think parallel would be better - the ram/tool could travel past
the table. And work holding would be easier, I'd think.

Nice thing about "vertical is the smaller footprint - I like that.

Bob

Put a rotary table on the there and it is the cats a** for doing
keyways and splines.

Ran two vertical shapers that made that Rhodes look like a Matchbox
version back in my apprentice days.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
Danielson, CT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I just got my own Xmas present.
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350125796308

By chance, does anyone else own one? Long shot, is there a manual for this
unit?

When I get it working to my satisfaction, I have a Bridgeport slotter
attachment for sale.

Rhodes sold this model as both conventional 7" horizontal shaper and a 3"
vertical slotter. With the right parts, you should be able to switch
between the two. The slotter is much rarer than the shaper and are not
often seen on the used market. So far as I know, there was never a manual
for these. I have the shaper and the parts for the slotter and have been
looking for nearly 15 years without luck. I do, however, have a couple of
brochures that have been scanned and can be emailed to you on request.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice thing about "vertical is the smaller footprint - I like that.

Bob

Put a rotary table on the there and it is the cats a** for doing
keyways and splines.

Ran two vertical shapers that made that Rhodes look like a Matchbox
version back in my apprentice days.

This is why I got it. My only use for a shaper has been inside keys and
splines. I'm hoping this is more rigid than the Bridgeport attachment. That
unit works, but rigid it is not. FWIW, I sold my Bridgeport so I needed
another slotter.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I just got my own Xmas present.
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350125796308

By chance, does anyone else own one? Long shot, is there a manual for this
unit?

When I get it working to my satisfaction, I have a Bridgeport slotter
attachment for sale.

Karl

Oh that brings back memories. Just before I bought my bridgeport, my uncle asked if I
would provide a home for his vertical slotter if he brought it back from North Carolina
where he left it after a divorce. I said heck yes, it was the first machine tool I ever
worked the handles on and I have very fond memories of it.

Well, his son, figuring that since it had be down in his mom's basement for years
unclaimed, put it up on Ebay a week or so before, 1100 bucks later, someone else had it.
Bummer. It did pay for some sort of securities license that helped my cousin make a
decent living so it went to a good purpose. Still regret being too late to the party
though. I'd poney up the 1100 right now if I could get it.

Btw, uncles had a rotary table and I bet it would have been much nicer than a bridgeport
slotting head that I still hope to acquire.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I just got my own Xmas present.
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350125796308

By chance, does anyone else own one? Long shot, is there a manual for this
unit?

When I get it working to my satisfaction, I have a Bridgeport slotter
attachment for sale.

Karl

If one can judge by the pictures it looks like the machine has done a lot of
work but has been well cared for.

What the heck is the postage going to set you back from VA to MN?

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rhodes sold this model as both conventional 7" horizontal shaper and a 3"
vertical slotter. With the right parts, you should be able to switch
between the two. The slotter is much rarer than the shaper and are not
often seen on the used market. So far as I know, there was never a manual
for these. I have the shaper and the parts for the slotter and have been
looking for nearly 15 years without luck. I do, however, have a couple of
brochures that have been scanned and can be emailed to you on request.

Mike

Thanks for the link: http://www.eurospares.com/shapers.htm

It looks like I have a combination vertical slotter / shaper. lots of good
information for me. One fella has even made CAD drawings of all the parts.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If one can judge by the pictures it looks like the machine has done a lot
of
work but has been well cared for.

What the heck is the postage going to set you back from VA to MN?

You're still buying a pig'n'poke with just pictures. I'll know what i got
next week. Shipping was $280. I'm assuming I bought a project. Seems like
all my shop time is spent just making all my equipment cherry shape. Turns
out its a combination horizontal vertical machine. I'll bet some change
parts are missing.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Btw, uncles had a rotary table and I bet it would have been much nicer
than a bridgeport
slotting head that I still hope to acquire.

I have one for sale, just as soon as i see that this unit can be made
operational. Email me off list if you're serious.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 06:03:46 -0600, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

If one can judge by the pictures it looks like the machine has done a lot
of
work but has been well cared for.

What the heck is the postage going to set you back from VA to MN?

You're still buying a pig'n'poke with just pictures. I'll know what i got
next week. Shipping was $280. I'm assuming I bought a project. Seems like
all my shop time is spent just making all my equipment cherry shape. Turns
out its a combination horizontal vertical machine. I'll bet some change
parts are missing.

Why did you buy a project AFTER a pair of idiots voted the price up
sixteenfold, and then you add freight on top? I guess you really
wanted that one, eh? g

--
In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a
question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why did you buy a project AFTER a pair of idiots voted the price up
sixteenfold, and then you add freight on top? I guess you really
wanted that one, eh? g

One of my eBay favorites was a search for vertical slotters. When i see one,
I put in an ebay snipe and forget it. I had been bidding $700 and change all
summer with no hits. This one, I went $900 and change, guess that was
enough. I went higher after going to an uaction and seeing the same dang
thing bring $2K. Now, I thought that was ridiculous.

i ebay search for the few items I'm interested in 1/week and put in snipes.
the key to ebay is to be patient. Still, I'm not doing anywhere near as well
as a few years ago. But auction prices are up too. guess I'm too cheap.

Karl

Vertical shaper/slotter on ebay azotic Metalworking 12 February 4th 06 12:17 AM
Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper? Toller Woodworking 9 November 20th 05 07:49 PM
manual for Pratt & Whitney model B 6" Vertical shaper [email protected] Metalworking 3 June 1st 05 03:32 AM
Rhodes freezer wuffa Home Ownership 0 February 11th 05 04:45 AM
My new old Rhodes shaper ! DaveK Metalworking 6 September 6th 04 04:40 PM