Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 19th 05, 09:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Toller
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?

Anyone try this? G1705

I asked Grizzly, and they say they don't know.



  #2   Report Post  
Old November 19th 05, 09:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?

Toller wrote:

Anyone try this? G1705

I asked Grizzly, and they say they don't know.


I don't either, but I suppose they could have copied enough of the LDS
shaper to have used the same spindle mounting design, but unless it is a
collet precisely for a knockoff of the Delta LD shaper I wouldn't expect
it.

The spindle mounting end is simple enough to machine w/ a metal lathe,
but the balance of attaching a collet isn't totally trivial. If you
pull the spindle you'll see what I'm talking about--if the Grizzly
people will give you a drawing of theirs, you could judge whether it
would work.

Personally, I'd recommend the Delta if you really want it. I've seen
them on ebay on occasion.
  #3   Report Post  
Old November 19th 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Toller
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?


"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
...
Toller wrote:

Anyone try this? G1705

I asked Grizzly, and they say they don't know.


I don't either, but I suppose they could have copied enough of the LDS
shaper to have used the same spindle mounting design, but unless it is a
collet precisely for a knockoff of the Delta LD shaper I wouldn't expect
it.

The spindle mounting end is simple enough to machine w/ a metal lathe,
but the balance of attaching a collet isn't totally trivial. If you
pull the spindle you'll see what I'm talking about--if the Grizzly
people will give you a drawing of theirs, you could judge whether it
would work.

Personally, I'd recommend the Delta if you really want it. I've seen
them on ebay on occasion.


At the moment there aren't any on ebay. Someone locally has a 3/4" but
that's no help.
Woodworkers Supply has one for the Delta LD, but it is $86; the Grizzly is
only $45. The grizzly drawing looks identical to my 1/2" spindle, but faced
with return freight and a 10% restocking charge... I was kinda hoping
someone else took the chance.


  #4   Report Post  
Old November 20th 05, 04:18 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?

Toller wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
...
Toller wrote:

Anyone try this? G1705

I asked Grizzly, and they say they don't know.


I don't either, but I suppose they could have copied enough of the LDS
shaper to have used the same spindle mounting design, but unless it is a
collet precisely for a knockoff of the Delta LD shaper I wouldn't expect
it.

The spindle mounting end is simple enough to machine w/ a metal lathe,
but the balance of attaching a collet isn't totally trivial. If you
pull the spindle you'll see what I'm talking about--if the Grizzly
people will give you a drawing of theirs, you could judge whether it
would work.

Personally, I'd recommend the Delta if you really want it. I've seen
them on ebay on occasion.


At the moment there aren't any on ebay. Someone locally has a 3/4" but
that's no help.
Woodworkers Supply has one for the Delta LD, but it is $86; the Grizzly is
only $45. The grizzly drawing looks identical to my 1/2" spindle, but faced
with return freight and a 10% restocking charge... I was kinda hoping
someone else took the chance.


Grizz is supposed to have such a good service reputation--won't they
give you the spindle dimensions?
  #5   Report Post  
Old November 20th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.woodworking
Toller
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?


"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
...
Toller wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
...
Toller wrote:

Anyone try this? G1705

I asked Grizzly, and they say they don't know.

I don't either, but I suppose they could have copied enough of the LDS
shaper to have used the same spindle mounting design, but unless it is
a
collet precisely for a knockoff of the Delta LD shaper I wouldn't
expect
it.

The spindle mounting end is simple enough to machine w/ a metal lathe,
but the balance of attaching a collet isn't totally trivial. If you
pull the spindle you'll see what I'm talking about--if the Grizzly
people will give you a drawing of theirs, you could judge whether it
would work.

Personally, I'd recommend the Delta if you really want it. I've seen
them on ebay on occasion.


At the moment there aren't any on ebay. Someone locally has a 3/4" but
that's no help.
Woodworkers Supply has one for the Delta LD, but it is $86; the Grizzly
is
only $45. The grizzly drawing looks identical to my 1/2" spindle, but
faced
with return freight and a 10% restocking charge... I was kinda hoping
someone else took the chance.


Grizz is supposed to have such a good service reputation--won't they
give you the spindle dimensions?


Maybe I got someone in a bad mood. I will try again.




  #6   Report Post  
Old November 20th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking
George
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?


"Toller" wrote in message
...

At the moment there aren't any on ebay. Someone locally has a 3/4" but
that's no help.
Woodworkers Supply has one for the Delta LD, but it is $86; the Grizzly is
only $45. The grizzly drawing looks identical to my 1/2" spindle, but
faced with return freight and a 10% restocking charge... I was kinda
hoping someone else took the chance.


The Woodworkers' Supply version fits beautifully, but I think I already told
you that.

Decisions, decisions. Of course I didn't have to decide fifteen years ago
when I bought mine. Difference seems a relatively small per-use charge.


  #7   Report Post  
Old November 20th 05, 03:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?

George wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message
...

At the moment there aren't any on ebay. Someone locally has a 3/4" but
that's no help.
Woodworkers Supply has one for the Delta LD, but it is $86; the Grizzly is
only $45. The grizzly drawing looks identical to my 1/2" spindle, but
faced with return freight and a 10% restocking charge... I was kinda
hoping someone else took the chance.


The Woodworkers' Supply version fits beautifully, but I think I already told
you that.


Not too surprising since the one in their last printed catalogue _is_
the Delta!
  #8   Report Post  
Old November 20th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?


I have one for the Grizzly, if you want I could measure it.

"Toller" wrote:


"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
...
Toller wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
...
Toller wrote:

Anyone try this? G1705

I asked Grizzly, and they say they don't know.

I don't either, but I suppose they could have copied enough of the LDS
shaper to have used the same spindle mounting design, but unless it is
a
collet precisely for a knockoff of the Delta LD shaper I wouldn't
expect
it.

The spindle mounting end is simple enough to machine w/ a metal lathe,
but the balance of attaching a collet isn't totally trivial. If you
pull the spindle you'll see what I'm talking about--if the Grizzly
people will give you a drawing of theirs, you could judge whether it
would work.

Personally, I'd recommend the Delta if you really want it. I've seen
them on ebay on occasion.

At the moment there aren't any on ebay. Someone locally has a 3/4" but
that's no help.
Woodworkers Supply has one for the Delta LD, but it is $86; the Grizzly
is
only $45. The grizzly drawing looks identical to my 1/2" spindle, but
faced
with return freight and a 10% restocking charge... I was kinda hoping
someone else took the chance.


Grizz is supposed to have such a good service reputation--won't they
give you the spindle dimensions?


Maybe I got someone in a bad mood. I will try again.



  #9   Report Post  
Old November 20th 05, 04:16 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Toller
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?


wrote in message
news

I have one for the Grizzly, if you want I could measure it.

Yes, that would be great; thanks.


  #10   Report Post  
Old November 20th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth
 
Posts: n/a
Default Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper?

Toller wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

....
Grizz is supposed to have such a good service reputation--won't they
give you the spindle dimensions?


Maybe I got someone in a bad mood. I will try again.


I'd think they would/should be able to supply a dimensioned drawing w/o
much trouble to them...


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delta X5 Shaper Spindle Sizes Mike Pio Woodworking 13 February 21st 17 03:44 PM
How do I remove the spindle from my Delta Shaper?? Toller Woodworking 9 October 29th 05 04:54 AM
A Few Notes on My New Grizzly G1018HW 8" jointer Darrell Woodworking 5 March 5th 04 01:19 AM
Now it is Grizzly VS. Delta was...Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 5 February 3rd 04 12:17 AM
table saw: Grizzly cabinet vs Delta contractor's JackD Woodworking 8 July 25th 03 12:52 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017