Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sleeves for putting hydraulic cylinders together.

I know this is a great metal working project and I've made couple of these things at work
to get me by.

When trying to put a shaft, as in hydraulic cylinder shaft, though a loaded oring lip
seal, having either a nice bit of same diameter rod inserted from the easy side holding
things open, or a hollow sleeve that will allow the externally threaded part to pass
through pushing the sleeve out is priceless.

Now it is fine and dandy to make your own and I did again today but it would sure be nice
to have a set of these things for repairing cylinders that is store bought. My employer
is buying.

So what do I google for? Does McMaster sell these things or do I just have to make my own
set?

Thanks,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know this is a great metal working project and I've made couple of these things at work
to get me by.

When trying to put a shaft, as in hydraulic cylinder shaft, though a loaded oring lip
seal, having either a nice bit of same diameter rod inserted from the easy side holding
things open, or a hollow sleeve that will allow the externally threaded part to pass
through pushing the sleeve out is priceless.

Now it is fine and dandy to make your own and I did again today but it would sure be nice
to have a set of these things for repairing cylinders that is store bought. My employer
is buying.

So what do I google for? Does McMaster sell these things or do I just have to make my own
set?

Thanks,

Wes

I've found that a thin sheet of plastic (like a microfiche sheet)
wrapped around the rod shaft will let it slip right into the seal,
without tearing up the seal lip, then the sheet is removed. HTH.
Ken.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ken Sterling wrote:
[...]

I think you missed the point , Ken . His boss has offered to buy tools to
help make his job easier . He wanted sources , not alternatives .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:
I dunno Terry, perhaps you missed the point. Do you think the reason
the tools are not available is because the alternative Ken suggested
does exist? Steve

Sure , Steve , it is possible . How do you know they're not available ?
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote:

I dunno Terry, perhaps you missed the point. Do you think the reason the
tools are not available is because the alternative Ken suggested does exist?
Steve

If you were putting together 500 cylinders a day on a line, what tools would you use?

I doubt it would be mylar. It could be that what I'm asking for just gets made as part of
tooling up a line. It would be cool if someone makes the sleeves using seamless tubing so
the cost for a set would be relatively cheap.

We put bearings and snap rings into pulleys and shafts, thousands a day. Set a tapered
cone over part receiving bearing and snap ring, lay a bearing and the snap ring in place,
locate under a hydraulic press, hit the palm buttons. Takes about 10 seconds start to
finish.

Oh when installing loaded orings on a piston, put one on, press in backwards (easy way),
then press back so that the empty groove protrudes from cylinder, install second seal,
that one will go in the easy way also. Arbor press is priceless when doing this.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:01:28 -0500, Wes wrote:

I know this is a great metal working project and I've made couple of these things at work
to get me by.

When trying to put a shaft, as in hydraulic cylinder shaft, though a loaded oring lip
seal, having either a nice bit of same diameter rod inserted from the easy side holding
things open, or a hollow sleeve that will allow the externally threaded part to pass
through pushing the sleeve out is priceless.

Now it is fine and dandy to make your own and I did again today but it would sure be nice
to have a set of these things for repairing cylinders that is store bought. My employer
is buying.

So what do I google for? Does McMaster sell these things or do I just have to make my own
set?

Thanks,

Wes

Are we getting close?
http://tinyurl.com/6654qc
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1160

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net...shop/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Depending on dia., there are plastic closet rod wraps in the 1-2"
range. Perfect.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:25:07 -0500, Wes wrote:
"Steve Lusardi" wrote:
[...]

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/tools.html has a plethora of special
tools for Volvo Penta engines and drives, including sleeves and drifts
(eg, "Drift for installing sealing rings in propeller bearing"). For
this case at least, there's a lot of single-purpose / fixed-size
tooling.

Possibly you could start with a ring compressor, grind off the outside
bolt attachment points, and braze an inside block at each end. Then
make up pairs of disks, of sizes as desired, to fit inside and set the
overall diameter. These would be tightened against the bolsters with
a central bolt.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:

Depending on dia., there are plastic closet rod wraps in the 1-2"
range. Perfect.

Most cylinder caps do not have a lot of clearance between rod and the hole.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gene wrote:

Are we getting close?
http://tinyurl.com/6654qc

You had me excited but I don't think this is it either. I scanned the site looking for
what I'm looking for while there.

Thanks for trying,

Wes

hydraulic cylinders habbi Metalworking 2 January 11th 05 04:26 AM
FS: Surplus hydraulic cylinders chunk Metalworking 0 January 5th 05 03:56 AM
hydraulic cylinders eight points or better Metalworking 6 December 4th 04 10:36 PM
Looking for Enerpac Hydraulic Cylinders... Steve Metalworking 2 February 13th 04 03:13 PM