Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Sleeves for putting hydraulic cylinders together.

Ken Sterling wrote:
I know this is a great metal working project and I've made couple of
these things at work to get me by.

When trying to put a shaft, as in hydraulic cylinder shaft, though a
loaded oring lip seal, having either a nice bit of same diameter rod
inserted from the easy side holding things open, or a hollow sleeve
that will allow the externally threaded part to pass through pushing
the sleeve out is priceless.

Now it is fine and dandy to make your own and I did again today but
it would sure be nice to have a set of these things for repairing
cylinders that is store bought. My employer is buying.

So what do I google for? Does McMaster sell these things or do I
just have to make my own set?

Thanks,

Wes

I've found that a thin sheet of plastic (like a microfiche sheet)
wrapped around the rod shaft will let it slip right into the seal,
without tearing up the seal lip, then the sheet is removed. HTH.
Ken.

I think you missed the point , Ken . His boss has offered to buy tools to
help make his job easier . He wanted sources , not alternatives .
--
Snag
every answer