Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What do you call this type of nut?

I have an old Craftsman/Atlas lathe and the threads are stretched on the
tailstock lockdown bolt and nut so I need to replace them. The bolt has a
square head and the thread is 3/8-16 which shouldn't be too hard to find.

The problem I have is with the nut. A normal 3/8" nut calls for a 9/16"
wrench but this nut is oversized and uses an 11/16" wrench. The wrench came
with the lathe and normally stays on this nut so I'd really like to replace
it with the same thing but I'm not sure what this type of nut is called or
even whether it's available. I can make it if I have to but I'd prefer to
find one.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:39:39 -0500, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

The problem I have is with the nut. A normal 3/8" nut calls for a 9/16"
wrench but this nut is oversized and uses an 11/16" wrench. The wrench came
with the lathe and normally stays on this nut so I'd really like to replace
it with the same thing but I'm not sure what this type of nut is called or
even whether it's available.

Heavy hex nut. See McMaster p.3131.

I'll pop one in the mail if you can't find them locally or without
buying 100.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-17, Ned Simmons wrote:
Heavy hex nut. See McMaster p.3131.

I'll pop one in the mail if you can't find them locally or without
buying 100.

100 3/8" heavy hex nuts is not too much, he should use them up in a
few years.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 17, 11:39*am, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:
I have an old Craftsman/Atlas lathe and the threads are stretched on the
tailstock lockdown bolt and nut so I need to replace them. *The bolt has a
square head and the thread is 3/8-16 which shouldn't be too hard to find.

The problem I have is with the nut. *A normal 3/8" nut calls for a 9/16"
wrench but this nut is oversized and uses an 11/16" wrench. *The wrench came
with the lathe and normally stays on this nut so I'd really like to replace
it with the same thing but I'm not sure what this type of nut is called or
even whether it's available. *I can make it if I have to but I'd prefer to
find one.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

It's a nut used in fixuring: a heavy flanged hex nut. (Yours does hava
a flange, doesn't it/) 3/8-16 threaded studs, clamp bars, and
stairstep blocks make up a standard fixturing kit with these nuts, and
the 11/16 wrench. Very useful if one owns, say, a Bridgeport milling
machine.

You'd like to replace the NUT or the WRENCH with the same thing,
rather than make one? It wasn't clear to me which you meant.

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
Heavy hex nut. See McMaster p.3131.

I'll pop one in the mail if you can't find them locally or without
buying 100.

Thank you! The only thing I could think of was oversized but heavy makes
more sense. I'll try a couple of places around town this week and may take
you up on your gracious offer if I can't find one.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:39:39 -0500, Keith Marshall wrote:

I have an old Craftsman/Atlas lathe and the threads are stretched on the
tailstock lockdown bolt and nut so I need to replace them. The bolt has
a square head and the thread is 3/8-16 which shouldn't be too hard to
find.

The problem I have is with the nut. A normal 3/8" nut calls for a 9/16"
wrench but this nut is oversized and uses an 11/16" wrench. The wrench
came with the lathe and normally stays on this nut so I'd really like to
replace it with the same thing but I'm not sure what this type of nut is
called or even whether it's available. I can make it if I have to but
I'd prefer to find one.

Any ideas?

That heading really belongs over a group portrait of the regulars here.
Or a series, with each of us posing in front of our toys.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been pretty busy and haven't had time
to follow the group.

It's a nut used in fixuring: a heavy flanged hex nut. (Yours does hava

a flange, doesn't it/) 3/8-16 threaded studs, clamp bars, and
stairstep blocks make up a standard fixturing kit with these nuts, and
the 11/16 wrench. Very useful if one owns, say, a Bridgeport milling
machine.

No, mine doesn't have a flange and Ned Simmons correctly named it as a
"heavy" hex nut as shown on page 3131 of the online McMaster-Carr catalog.

You'd like to replace the NUT or the WRENCH with the same thing,

rather than make one? It wasn't clear to me which you meant.

I want to replace the nut. The wrench fits several nuts on the lathe and I
normally keep it on the tailstock nut.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been pretty busy and haven't had time
to follow the group.

That heading really belongs over a group portrait of the regulars here.
Or a series, with each of us posing in front of our toys.

Can't argue with that! :-)