Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott Plack

Default When considering a new furnace and A/C unit... Type of contractor to call

Some of you probably saw my other post about the oil smell in the new
house. Well, we are definitely switching over to NG and installing
ducts to the rooms (there are only 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, a combined
kitchen/DR which opens to the main room (Family/living room). Can I
calculate the amount of heat and air required?

Should I have tests done that I've heard people mention? We're
basically starting from scratch as this (http://tinyurl.com/9hzgb) is
not efficient or effective.

Basically, I want to know how much I can determine on my own, and then
when to call in the right person (What should I look for in the phone
book?). I live in Towson, MD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know about tests. For ductwork and a replacement furnace, etc,
you want an HVAC contractor (heating ventilation air conditioning).

Do you have gas supply already, coming into the house ? If not then
that is the first thing to look into, since if you can't get NG then
you're sort of stuck.

I use a consumer ratings thing called angies list, it's a bit pricey
($45 a year or so) but it lets you look up ratings on companies that
do work on houses - plumbers, painters, hvac, you name it, also other
general services. The url is

http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList...p?id=Baltimore

I get nothing from recommending them. You can look up things for your
friends and neighbors too.

You might also want to consider heat pump as Baltimore does not get
super cold like it does up here. Esp if you don't already have NG run
to the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/

http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...r_Renovate.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

"Elliott Plack" wrote:

Basically, I want to know how much I can determine on my own, and then
when to call in the right person (What should I look for in the phone
book?). I live in Towson, MD.

I'd look on the web, find the big makes like Trane, Carrier and the
like, and find authorized dealers that cover your area.

Get a quote from two different local HVAC contractors, since most will
carry one brand or another, and compare their offers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably the first would a consultant to conduct an energy-loss
analysis. Your local utility may even provide such a service or
subsidize it.

Purpose: to determine costs/benefits of sealing, insulating, upgrading
windows, etc., etc.

Then, on to the energy sources and conversion units, if not covered in
the above.

Given the age of the house (did you say 75-yrs?) you can safely assume
that sealing, insulation, windows et al. are on the table.

You can probably see net efficiencies well over 50%- and the payback
will only get better. Not to mention occupant comfort and resale value.