Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall Keith Marshall is offline

Default What do you call this type of nut?

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been pretty busy and haven't had time
to follow the group.

It's a nut used in fixuring: a heavy flanged hex nut. (Yours does hava

a flange, doesn't it/) 3/8-16 threaded studs, clamp bars, and
stairstep blocks make up a standard fixturing kit with these nuts, and
the 11/16 wrench. Very useful if one owns, say, a Bridgeport milling
machine.

No, mine doesn't have a flange and Ned Simmons correctly named it as a
"heavy" hex nut as shown on page 3131 of the online McMaster-Carr catalog.

You'd like to replace the NUT or the WRENCH with the same thing,

rather than make one? It wasn't clear to me which you meant.

I want to replace the nut. The wrench fits several nuts on the lathe and I
normally keep it on the tailstock nut.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"