Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AR15 evaluation

My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a parking
lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that has higher
value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is supposed to be rare.
Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on determining value?

I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert in this
area.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a
parking lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that
has higher value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is
supposed to be rare. Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on
determining value?
I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert
in this area.

Karl

Nice ones in local gun shops here are going for over 1500 bucks . And up ,
way up .
--
Snag
My tastes are somewhat cheaper ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
anews.com:

My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a
parking
lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that has higher
value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is supposed to be
rare. Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on determining
value?

I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert
in this area.

Karl

Beware the ATF: the "keyword" is "noise suppressor".

While the AR-15 is a semi-auto, the M-16 that was derived it is a selective
fire [ATF Type 3 license required] and noise suppressors [aka silencers -
Type 3 license required] can each be used in an ATF "sting".

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com, "Karl Townsend" wrote:
My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a parking
lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that has higher
value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is supposed to be rare.
Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on determining value?

I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert in this
area.

The prices are shooting up fast after the election. There are so many
variables it's hard to say how to check it out with at least a list of
who made the upper & lower receivers & the barrel, or a photo.

Also, if it is a true "noise suppressor" (i.e. silencer), there are all
sorts of legal issues with owning or selling one. If it's a flash hider
(more likely), then it's mostly window dressing for a civilian rifle.

The best place to get real info is http://www.ar15.com, but you will need
to register & pay a small fee to post.

It's very easy to say an AR15 is "accurized", but it's hard to
prove. I've built a couple, and all the accuracy is in little details
that aren't obviously labeled.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cash in a parking lot... are you kidding... what a great way to buy a STOLEN
GUN!!!!
If you do buy it,, offer half of what he is asking.... Also, while he is
still there, either fake a phone call to the local pd to check the serial
number, see what the "seller" does, or call ahead of time and have pd meet
up with you there... they can run the serial right away...

if he is honest, no issue,, but if pd shows and the guy takes off...
well....you know the answer to the serial number question.

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:10:55 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

It's very easy to say an AR15 is "accurized", but it's hard to
prove.

Easy to prove. Take to 100 yd range with seller-recommended ammo, see
how it groups. 5-shot groups of under 1" could be regarded as
accurate -- though many production rifles can now shoot 1/2" groups
right out of the box for $600 and less.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:04:52 -0700, Bob in Phx wrote:

cash in a parking lot... are you kidding... what a great way to buy a
STOLEN GUN!!!!
If you do buy it,, offer half of what he is asking.... Also, while he is
still there, either fake a phone call to the local pd to check the
serial number, see what the "seller" does, or call ahead of time and
have pd meet up with you there... they can run the serial right away...

if he is honest, no issue,, but if pd shows and the guy takes off...
well....you know the answer to the serial number question.

I read the original post and thought "hmm. sounds stolen to me".

Second to walking away, this sounds like the best solution. At least
depending on how responsive the local PD is (and whether they'll feel
envious about the gun...).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

still there, either fake a phone call to the local pd to check the serial
number, see what the "seller" does, or call ahead of time and have pd
meet up with you there... they can run the serial right away...

This is news to me. I knew they did handguns. Are rifles now registered? I'm
certain none of the ones I presently own are. "The kid" is pretty sure its
not hot or i wouldn't touch it. But, i think I'll pass on this deal.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:33:55 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

still there, either fake a phone call to the local pd to check the serial
number, see what the "seller" does, or call ahead of time and have pd
meet up with you there... they can run the serial right away...

This is news to me. I knew they did handguns. Are rifles now registered? I'm
certain none of the ones I presently own are. "The kid" is pretty sure its
not hot or i wouldn't touch it. But, i think I'll pass on this deal.

The police may have serial numbers of stolen guns if the rightful
owner provided them after the theft.

A bone-fide seller would have a bill of sale with serial number, and
this can be checked with the dealer that sold it.

Value check: one can get a brand-new Ruger mini-14 (semiauto) rifle
in .223 for under $600. The CZ527 American bolt-action rifle in .223
is under $500 new if you shop, and the two I know of (mine and one
other) deliver groups under 3/4" (100 yd) right out of the box.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" writes:

still there, either fake a phone call to the local pd to check the serial
number, see what the "seller" does, or call ahead of time and have pd
meet up with you there... they can run the serial right away...

This is news to me. I knew they did handguns. Are rifles now registered? I'm
certain none of the ones I presently own are. "The kid" is pretty sure its
not hot or i wouldn't touch it. But, i think I'll pass on this deal.

Depends on where you are. Where I live, handguns aren't registered
either; some places, handguns and rifles are both registered.

But whether registered or not, the PD should be able to verify whether
it's been reported stolen.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wasnt talking about registering the gun. I dont know what the laws in the
state that the OP is in. I was talking about the possibility (very high in
my opinion) that this gun was stolen. If the Owner of the gun reported it
stolen, then the Police will be able to trace the serial numbers. If its not
stolen then no big deal, unless there are laws about selling in the OP's
state or town.

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

still there, either fake a phone call to the local pd to check the serial
number, see what the "seller" does, or call ahead of time and have pd
meet up with you there... they can run the serial right away...

This is news to me. I knew they did handguns. Are rifles now registered?
I'm certain none of the ones I presently own are. "The kid" is pretty sure
its not hot or i wouldn't touch it. But, i think I'll pass on this deal.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a parking
lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that has higher
value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is supposed to be rare.
Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on determining value?

I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert in this
area.

I know gun preferences are like cars and opinions,
but if he wants a military semi auto, suggest that
he takes a look at an M1A. You can get a new Springfield
Armory M1A for about what he'll pay for the AR, and
he will have a much more useful rifle without attracting
the "assault weapon" attention.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a parking
lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that has higher
value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is supposed to be rare.
Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on determining value?

I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert in this
area.

A face-to-face sale is entirely legal in most states, or any state I'd
ever want to live in. The buyer and seller have to reside in the same
state as the transaction. If you don't know the other party, I'd ask
them to bring a photocopy of their state driver's license. Barring that,
if they have a concealed handgun license, ask to see it. Keep emails etc
about the transaction. Print them and file them.

But your later post about waiting is correct. the current feeding frenzy
is the result of the ignorant suddenly waking up and realizing
"everyone in the US has an AR except me, and Obama is about to cut me off".
ARs and Aks will be available for some time to come. Neither is
worth the prices some vendors are chargin lately.

Best bet right now is to buy a stripped lower receiver. It's the only
regulated part. these are going for over $125 most places, but there are
deals. There is a group buy going on 1919M4.com for $78 + shipping.

http://www.1919a4.com/forums/showthr...threadid=19928

Buy several, it's a good investment. Then you can build over time to
the configuration you want, after you know enough about them to decide that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

That's good advice for people worried about another ban and wanting to not
jump all the way in now.

Just keep in mind that a lower receiver is technically a firearm and
regulated as such, so even though it's just a chunk of metal, in the eyes
of the law, it's the same as a completed and functional gun. If you need
to keep records on sales/transfers (depending on where you live) for
firearms, they apply to this component, but not the other parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:

Best bet right now is to buy a stripped lower receiver. It's the only
regulated part. these are going for over $125 most places, but there are
deals. There is a group buy going on 1919M4.com for $78 + shipping.

http://www.1919a4.com/forums/showthr...threadid=19928

Buy several, it's a good investment. Then you can build over time to
the configuration you want, after you know enough about them to decide that.

IIRC, the earlier black rifle ban had language stating the firearm had to be fully
assembled before the date of enactment.

Wes

Tormek evaluation goaway Woodworking 11 December 27th 07 07:56 PM
Bulletproof AR15 bolt trg-s338 Metalworking 69 October 17th 07 12:18 AM
Create New Op system for PDA , on a ARM Evaluation board werty Electronics 0 September 4th 06 07:56 PM
Assembly Bracket Evaluation Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 2 January 28th 05 07:12 PM
Used Case 580E evaluation Bonza Metalworking 9 July 12th 04 01:10 PM