Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinder vibration

I bought a nice Dayton pedestal grinder recently.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Addison/69.jpg

It is 3/4 HP, 8 inch wheel diameter, 7 amps IIRC, and has a dust
collector in the back, which is why I liked it so much -- less dust
makes for a better life. So if all goes well, I will replace my 1/2 HP
Baldor with it.

HOWEVER, this Dayton grinder vibrates. Not too much, but the Baldor
does not vibrate at all, so this stands out. I can and will check the
spindle with a dial indicator, but by looking at wheels, the spindle
does not seem to be too bent, the wheels are not wobbly etc. All in
all, the vibration is very noticeable, but not too bad. I think
that what causes the vibration is a minute imbalance of wheels.

I read a little bit about "bench grinder vibration" and it seems that
the recommended course of action is to dress the wheels. So my plan,
for now, is to take a diamond wheel dressing stick and to try to dress
it flat. I am not sure, at this point, how exactly to ensure that the
wheel is square after dressing. Any tips from those who did this, will
me much appreciated.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28956 wrote:
[...]

You can dress a wheel like this with a 1" Carborundum stick. They are about
six inches long.
The better method is a wheel dresser that has a half dozen rotating wheels
mounted in a metal "handle".

--

Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dick's recommendation is the standard, but I like the one I use. I made a
pivoting arm that is spring loaded, whose arc crosses the wheel face at a 90
degree angle. Attached to this is a threaded diamond tipped stud. This is
the same solution used by "Diamond" drill sharpeners. Works great. Lasts
forever. Also, pay close attention to the mounting hub of the wheel. It is
quite common the hub center is not center and even after dressing, the wheel
is still unbalanced.
Steve

"Ignoramus28956" wrote in message
[...]

Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-13, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Dick's recommendation is the standard, but I like the one I use. I made a
pivoting arm that is spring loaded, whose arc crosses the wheel face at a 90
degree angle. Attached to this is a threaded diamond tipped stud. This is
the same solution used by "Diamond" drill sharpeners. Works great. Lasts
forever. Also, pay close attention to the mounting hub of the wheel. It is
quite common the hub center is not center and even after dressing, the wheel
is still unbalanced.
Steve

Dick and Steve, thanks, after some dressing with the above mentioned
dressing stick, the grinder is now quiet. (of course the dust
collector is not quiet)

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 11:25*am, "Dick 'Tater" wrote:
The better method is a wheel dresser that has a half dozen rotating wheels
mounted in a metal "handle".
* * * * * *Dick

It's a Huntington style wheel dresser.
http://kobol.sslcatacombnetworking.c...n-dressers.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I agree with the "star wheel" dresser. BUT---- I bought one at HF and
it is a disaster! I also had an older "real one" and, even though it's
almost worn out, it works MUCH better than the HF model.
I am not a HF basher. This product simply does not do the job.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Dick 'Tater wrote:
Ignoramus28956 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-14, spaco wrote:
I agree with the "star wheel" dresser. BUT---- I bought one at HF and
it is a disaster! I also had an older "real one" and, even though it's
almost worn out, it works MUCH better than the HF model.
I am not a HF basher. This product simply does not do the job.

Mine is from McMaster-Carr, works OK so far. Item 4528A1.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Dick 'Tater wrote:
Ignoramus28956 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
I agree with the "star wheel" dresser. BUT---- I bought one at HF and it
is a disaster! I also had an older "real one" and, even though it's
almost worn out, it works MUCH better than the HF model.
I am not a HF basher. This product simply does not do the job.

Pete Stanaitis

I wonder how someone could make such a simple and basic design in a way that
would cause it not to work well? Do the wheels not rotate freely or is there
something unusual about the design or material of the wheels themselves?

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Nothing beats the application of a sintered silicon carbide dressing stick
after truing a wheel. They're easy to apply, and cheap to buy. A star
dresser would do a better job of preparing the wheel for grinding, but the
difference in performance is not big enough to warrant the inconvenience of
using the star dresser.

If I was you, I'd give replacing a Baldor with a Dayton more than just a
little thought. That's akin to trading in your Bentley for a damned VW.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:15:16 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

That's akin to trading in your Bentley for a damned VW.

A Bentley *is* a VW.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
That's akin to trading in your Bentley for a damned VW.

A Bentley *is* a VW.

Close. BMW bought them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Young" writes:

I wonder how someone could make such a simple and basic design in a way that
would cause it not to work well? Do the wheels not rotate freely or is there
something unusual about the design or material of the wheels themselves?

It might be the wheel. In the woodworking forums, people use the
Oneway products for grinding lathe tools. Oneway makes a wheel
balancer kit. It's extremely expensive ($63), and frankly if the wheel is
not balanced, I'd return thw wheel.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Grinders___Wheels___Oneway_Wheel_Bala ncing_System___oneway_balancer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-11-13, Ignoramus28956 wrote:
I bought a nice Dayton pedestal grinder recently.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Addison/69.jpg

It is 3/4 HP, 8 inch wheel diameter, 7 amps IIRC, and has a dust
collector in the back, which is why I liked it so much -- less dust
makes for a better life. So if all goes well, I will replace my 1/2 HP
Baldor with it.

It looks nice.

I'm a little late weighing it, because I've had company for the
past two day, and been quite busy with them.

HOWEVER, this Dayton grinder vibrates. Not too much, but the Baldor
does not vibrate at all, so this stands out. I can and will check the
spindle with a dial indicator, but by looking at wheels, the spindle
does not seem to be too bent, the wheels are not wobbly etc. All in
all, the vibration is very noticeable, but not too bad. I think
that what causes the vibration is a minute imbalance of wheels.

I read a little bit about "bench grinder vibration" and it seems that
the recommended course of action is to dress the wheels. So my plan,
for now, is to take a diamond wheel dressing stick and to try to dress
it flat. I am not sure, at this point, how exactly to ensure that the
wheel is square after dressing. Any tips from those who did this, will
me much appreciated.

What I would suggest first is to remove the wheels, flanges, and
nuts entirely, to make sure that the motor itself is not unbalanced for
some reason or other. Then add one set of flanges and nut and see what
it does. Then loosen them and add the wheel. Note that most wheels
have larger holes than the shank of the grinder, so they are fitted with
some form of bushing to centralize them before dressing. The older ones
had a bushing of lead -- probably poured into the wheel and formed
around a mandrel. Later ones that I have seen were equipped with a
plastic bushing instead -- the ones which I have seen were bright red,
but I suspect that other colors exist.

If you simply mount the wheel without the bushing, let it be off
center, and then dress so the OD is concentric, it will be still
somewhat out of balance -- but not nearly as badly so as if you had left
the whole wheel off center without dressing.

So -- check the concentricity.

But Baldor is a better name, so perhaps you should check whether
it will mount on the base which you have -- and perhaps use the dust
collector too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Assuming you asking about the wheel dresser, not about the OP's grinder:
It seems that the star wheels just aren't hard enough or something.
They do spin around freely, just like the wheels on the one that works.
I just went out to the shop to compare the two units. The wheels look
identical. On the "good" one, there are 2 star wheels, one "washer" and
2 star wheels. On the HF model there is one star wheel, one "washer" 2
star wheels, one "washer" and one star wheel.
Hmmmmm---.
The handles are a little different, but that's not an issue.
Now that you've made me go to all that trouble, maybe I'll take one of
those "washers" off and see what happens.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Don Young wrote:
"spaco" wrote in message

I agree with the "star wheel" dresser. BUT---- I bought one at HF and it
is a disaster! I also had an older "real one" and, even though it's
almost worn out, it works MUCH better than the HF model.
I am not a HF basher. This product simply does not do the job.

Pete Stanaitis

I wonder how someone could make such a simple and basic design in a way that
would cause it not to work well? Do the wheels not rotate freely or is there
something unusual about the design or material of the wheels themselves?

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Assuming you asking about the wheel dresser, not about the OP's grinder:
It seems that the star wheels just aren't hard enough or something. They
do spin around freely, just like the wheels on the one that works. I just
went out to the shop to compare the two units. The wheels look identical.
On the "good" one, there are 2 star wheels, one "washer" and 2 star
wheels. On the HF model there is one star wheel, one "washer" 2 star
wheels, one "washer" and one star wheel.
Hmmmmm---.
The handles are a little different, but that's not an issue.
Now that you've made me go to all that trouble, maybe I'll take one of
those "washers" off and see what happens.

Pete Stanaitis

Yes, I was asking about the dresser. I do not know whether the wheel
arrangement can make a difference or not but it seems that having too many
plain washers might prevent it from working as well. I have just used them
and they always seemed to work well for me.

Don Young