Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Help please grinder vibration

I recently purchased a double ended 8 inch spindle grinder for my workshop.
It is of intermediate quality with it's most obvious fault being somewhat
insubstantial work supports.
After true-ing up the outer wheel surfaces I expected an improvement in the
level of vibration which is most marked during run-up & run-down.
To be honest I have often seen higher levels of vibration in workshop
grinders at no load speed but had generally attributed this to poor wheel
maintenance.
Eventually I noticed that one wheel in -particular is running out of true by
something approaching 1.5 mm (one sixteenth of an inch).
In other words, standing in front with the wheel slowly rotated, you can see
a side to side movement of about this amount.
Now I have no idea how accurate wheel fitting on these grinders ought to be,
but it struck me I should at least try re-fitting the wheel to eliminate
this inaccuracy & see if an overall improvement in vibration resulted.
First problem: how the heck do you hold/lock the spindle whilst releasing
the wheel retaining plate clamp nut?
This nut is a course thread (clockwise tightens).

Any general &/or specific guidance on this workshop practice issue would be
much appreciated.

Pete

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

peterlonz wrote:

First problem: how the heck do you hold/lock the spindle whilst

releasing
the wheel retaining plate clamp nut?

Grab one wheel, loosen nut holding the other wheel.

With shaft bare, run up two nuts and lock them together.

Grab them with a wrench, loosen nut on opposite wheel.

Have fun.

Lew