Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
peterlonz[_2_] peterlonz[_2_] is offline

Default Help please grinder vibration

I recently purchased a double ended 8 inch spindle grinder for my workshop.
It is of intermediate quality with it's most obvious fault being somewhat
insubstantial work supports.
After true-ing up the outer wheel surfaces I expected an improvement in the
level of vibration which is most marked during run-up & run-down.
To be honest I have often seen higher levels of vibration in workshop
grinders at no load speed but had generally attributed this to poor wheel
maintenance.
Eventually I noticed that one wheel in -particular is running out of true by
something approaching 1.5 mm (one sixteenth of an inch).
In other words, standing in front with the wheel slowly rotated, you can see
a side to side movement of about this amount.
Now I have no idea how accurate wheel fitting on these grinders ought to be,
but it struck me I should at least try re-fitting the wheel to eliminate
this inaccuracy & see if an overall improvement in vibration resulted.
First problem: how the heck do you hold/lock the spindle whilst releasing
the wheel retaining plate clamp nut?
This nut is a course thread (clockwise tightens).

Any general &/or specific guidance on this workshop practice issue would be
much appreciated.

Pete