Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Grinder vibration

On 2008-11-13, Ignoramus28956 wrote:
I bought a nice Dayton pedestal grinder recently.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Addison/69.jpg

It is 3/4 HP, 8 inch wheel diameter, 7 amps IIRC, and has a dust
collector in the back, which is why I liked it so much -- less dust
makes for a better life. So if all goes well, I will replace my 1/2 HP
Baldor with it.

It looks nice.

I'm a little late weighing it, because I've had company for the
past two day, and been quite busy with them.

HOWEVER, this Dayton grinder vibrates. Not too much, but the Baldor
does not vibrate at all, so this stands out. I can and will check the
spindle with a dial indicator, but by looking at wheels, the spindle
does not seem to be too bent, the wheels are not wobbly etc. All in
all, the vibration is very noticeable, but not too bad. I think
that what causes the vibration is a minute imbalance of wheels.

I read a little bit about "bench grinder vibration" and it seems that
the recommended course of action is to dress the wheels. So my plan,
for now, is to take a diamond wheel dressing stick and to try to dress
it flat. I am not sure, at this point, how exactly to ensure that the
wheel is square after dressing. Any tips from those who did this, will
me much appreciated.

What I would suggest first is to remove the wheels, flanges, and
nuts entirely, to make sure that the motor itself is not unbalanced for
some reason or other. Then add one set of flanges and nut and see what
it does. Then loosen them and add the wheel. Note that most wheels
have larger holes than the shank of the grinder, so they are fitted with
some form of bushing to centralize them before dressing. The older ones
had a bushing of lead -- probably poured into the wheel and formed
around a mandrel. Later ones that I have seen were equipped with a
plastic bushing instead -- the ones which I have seen were bright red,
but I suspect that other colors exist.

If you simply mount the wheel without the bushing, let it be off
center, and then dress so the OD is concentric, it will be still
somewhat out of balance -- but not nearly as badly so as if you had left
the whole wheel off center without dressing.

So -- check the concentricity.

But Baldor is a better name, so perhaps you should check whether
it will mount on the base which you have -- and perhaps use the dust
collector too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564