Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Al is offline

Default Surface Grinder Wheel Vibration

I bought a 6 X 12 Boyar Schultz Manual Surface grinder and mounted an
ENCO 1/2 x 7 wheel. The wheel had some bad vibration so I replaced the
spindle bearings. I have three Enco wheels and some vibrate more than
others, the wheels have the letters BAL painted on them so I expected
that indicated they were balanced. I was a Tool & Die Maker in the
late 50's and spent a significant amount of time using the 6 X 12
Boyar Schultz manual grinder. I never experienced a vibration and am
not sure where to begin sorting out this problem. The ENCO Wheels were
not very expensive and I wonder if the problem is the inexpensive
wheel or the drive mechanism.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks ....Al Basham
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al wrote:

I bought a 6 X 12 Boyar Schultz Manual Surface grinder and mounted an
ENCO 1/2 x 7 wheel. The wheel had some bad vibration so I replaced the
spindle bearings. I have three Enco wheels and some vibrate more than
others, the wheels have the letters BAL painted on them so I expected
that indicated they were balanced. I was a Tool & Die Maker in the
late 50's and spent a significant amount of time using the 6 X 12
Boyar Schultz manual grinder. I never experienced a vibration and am
not sure where to begin sorting out this problem. The ENCO Wheels were
not very expensive and I wonder if the problem is the inexpensive
wheel or the drive mechanism.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks ....Al Basham

Is the spindle motor 3phase? Are you generating it with a static converter?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al wrote:

I bought a 6 X 12 Boyar Schultz Manual Surface grinder and mounted an
ENCO 1/2 x 7 wheel. The wheel had some bad vibration so I replaced the
spindle bearings. I have three Enco wheels and some vibrate more than
others, the wheels have the letters BAL painted on them so I expected
that indicated they were balanced. I was a Tool & Die Maker in the
late 50's and spent a significant amount of time using the 6 X 12
Boyar Schultz manual grinder. I never experienced a vibration and am
not sure where to begin sorting out this problem. The ENCO Wheels were
not very expensive and I wonder if the problem is the inexpensive
wheel or the drive mechanism.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks ....Al Basham

Try a new wheel? Jeez, wheels cost what, eight bucks? What did those spindle
bearings set you back? I remember doing the ones on my KO Lee, think they
were about $400 .. yow.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:47:08 -0800 (PST), Al wrote:

the wheels have the letters BAL painted on them so I expected
that indicated they were balanced.

Wheels will generally need balancing after you first mount and dress them.
Does the grinder have balancing weights on the wheel arbour?

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark -

Can you give a short description on how to do just the balancing
mode with the sliding weights on the spindle nut.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Mark Rand wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:47:08 -0800 (PST), Al wrote:

the wheels have the letters BAL painted on them so I expected
that indicated they were balanced.

Wheels will generally need balancing after you first mount and dress them.
Does the grinder have balancing weights on the wheel arbour?

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Al" wrote in message
I bought a 6 X 12 Boyar Schultz Manual Surface grinder and mounted an
ENCO 1/2 x 7 wheel. The wheel had some bad vibration so I replaced the
spindle bearings. I have three Enco wheels and some vibrate more than
others, the wheels have the letters BAL painted on them so I expected
that indicated they were balanced. I was a Tool & Die Maker in the
late 50's and spent a significant amount of time using the 6 X 12
Boyar Schultz manual grinder. I never experienced a vibration and am
not sure where to begin sorting out this problem. The ENCO Wheels were
not very expensive and I wonder if the problem is the inexpensive
wheel or the drive mechanism.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks ....Al Basham

Considering you find variations in the vibration by changing wheels, you may
not have a problem with the machine, but don't discount the possibility.
If it runs on single phase, that alone can introduce vibration, as can the
belt, assuming the spindle is belt driven. If the original motor was
replaced, look there very first. A common electric motor should not be
used on precision grinding equipment. Also, make sure you're tightening
the wheel adequately, and that you have a blotter under each side. Don't
over tighten, that's not necessary, nor desirable. Hand pressure on the
provided spanner should be more than adequate-----assuming you've holding
the wheel with the other hand while tightening.

If you find the wheels do not run true on the sides, don't hesitate to dress
them with a diamond. Dress all the way to the blotter until you've trued
each side. That should make a serious improvement in how the wheel runs.
You'll do nothing to harm the wheel, assuming you take light passes (a few
thou each pass).

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Al" wrote in message
I bought a 6 X 12 Boyar Schultz Manual Surface grinder and mounted an
ENCO 1/2 x 7 wheel. The wheel had some bad vibration so I replaced the
spindle bearings. I have three Enco wheels and some vibrate more than
others, the wheels have the letters BAL painted on them so I expected
that indicated they were balanced. I was a Tool & Die Maker in the
late 50's and spent a significant amount of time using the 6 X 12
Boyar Schultz manual grinder. I never experienced a vibration and am
not sure where to begin sorting out this problem. The ENCO Wheels were
not very expensive and I wonder if the problem is the inexpensive
wheel or the drive mechanism.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks ....Al Basham

Hi- I hgave a B.S.6x12, single phase, belt drive and I have never had to
balance a wheel or true the sides. Jim