Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Food grade O rings?

Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online and
sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

It is a matter of species, of which nitrile and EPDM are approved. There
is no "gradient" to make any given item food "grade", as if it were a
matter of a continuous variable like purity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

It is a matter of species, of which nitrile and EPDM are approved. There
is no "gradient" to make any given item food "grade", as if it were a
matter of a continuous variable like purity.

Thank you. My needs are considerably larger than those offered.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

It is a matter of species, of which nitrile and EPDM are approved. There
is no "gradient" to make any given item food "grade", as if it were a
matter of a continuous variable like purity.

While your comments are somewhat on target, there is apparently a prescribed
procedure and given components that are incorporated that constitute food
grade. This link alludes to the idea. They offer food grade rubber in
sheet form, but not O rings.

http://www.chamberlinrubber.com:80/F...e_p_15 7.html

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

It is a matter of species, of which nitrile and EPDM are approved. There
is no "gradient" to make any given item food "grade", as if it were a
matter of a continuous variable like purity.

Thank you. My needs are considerably larger than those offered.

Harold

Try:

E.T. Associates
231 Newfield Ave.
Hartford, CT 06106
Phone: 860-953-2020

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 06:30:46 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

McMaster carries FDA compliant o-rings in Buna, Viton, silicone and
EPDM. IDs up to 26".

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online and
sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Overcooked calamari?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My preferred food grade O rings are onion rings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

Thanksgiving dinner ought to be interesting at your house!
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

Thanksgiving dinner ought to be interesting at your house!
--
Stupendous Man,

Harold's famous turkey sphincters, mmmmm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 9, 10:30*pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? * I found one online and
sent an inquiry. *I was ignored. * Any leads appreciated.

Harold

http://www.columbiaerd.com/foodandbeverage.html is a site
of a manufacturer. My search was: NSF food "o" ring
and returned many results which should provide you with all
you seek.

dennis
in nca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think Thiokol has some fairly large spare o rings laying around...not
too good in the freezer, though...
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..

Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

It is a matter of species, of which nitrile and EPDM are approved. There
is no "gradient" to make any given item food "grade", as if it were a
matter of a continuous variable like purity.

Thank you. My needs are considerably larger than those offered.

Harold

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online and
sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Try any restaurant equipment firm. Most cities have at least one. They will
be able to supply them as parts.

Steve R. (Former fast food joint manager)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online and
sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Thanks for all the leads and grins, guys. I should be able to narrow this
thing down now.

My search for food grade O rings, alone, yielded poor results. No
imagination on my part, it appears.

"Harold's famous turkey sphincters, mmmmm"

Hmmmmm! Food for thought! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold's famous turkey sphincters, mmmmm"

Hmmmmm! Food for thought! :-)

Here's a fun one, print it out full sized, tape it on a can of something and
leave it in a friend's pantry
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d.../FISHSOUP2.jpg
I can email it if the photo site image won't do.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:27:23 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

.net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online and
sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Thanks for all the leads and grins, guys. I should be able to narrow this
thing down now.

My search for food grade O rings, alone, yielded poor results. No
imagination on my part, it appears.

"Harold's famous turkey sphincters, mmmmm"

Hmmmmm! Food for thought! :-)

Ick! I wouldn't have put it _quite_ that way, 'Arry.

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
I think Thiokol has some fairly large spare o rings laying around...not too
good in the freezer, though...

They're a bit small, JR. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

. net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online
and sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Overcooked calamari?

Nice thought, but they're too tough. ;-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus14646" wrote in message
My preferred food grade O rings are onion rings.

The onion might screw up the product.

I like mine with that nice special dipping sauce. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

Thanksgiving dinner ought to be interesting at your house!

Heh!

You have no idea.

How many make chestnut and sausage dressing for their turkey? Beats the
hell out of sage dressing. Coupled with freshly prepared cranberries,
there is no equal.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
I wonder if the "O" rings they use on male sheep are food grade?

I'd suggest removal before snacking. ;-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve R." wrote in message

. net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online
and sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Try any restaurant equipment firm. Most cities have at least one. They
will be able to supply them as parts.

Steve R. (Former fast food joint manager)

You obviously have never been to Onalaska, or Lewis County.

Thanks for the idea, though. I appreciate the thought.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:27:23 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

s.net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online
and
sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Thanks for all the leads and grins, guys. I should be able to narrow
this
thing down now.

My search for food grade O rings, alone, yielded poor results. No
imagination on my part, it appears.

"Harold's famous turkey sphincters, mmmmm"

Hmmmmm! Food for thought! :-)

Ick! I wouldn't have put it _quite_ that way, 'Arry.

Can I assume the invitation to dine is being declined? :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:27:23 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

ds.net...
Folks,
Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online
and
sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

Thanks for all the leads and grins, guys. I should be able to narrow
this
thing down now.

My search for food grade O rings, alone, yielded poor results. No
imagination on my part, it appears.

"Harold's famous turkey sphincters, mmmmm"

Hmmmmm! Food for thought! :-)

Ick! I wouldn't have put it _quite_ that way, 'Arry.

Can I assume the invitation to dine is being declined? :-)

Harold

I think Larry likes "Turkey sphincters" but he just wants to lick off the
basting juices. I keep telling him to wait until they are cooked!

(and you thought you were safe with "food-grade O-rings"!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:06:44 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan

" wrote in message
I wonder if the "O" rings they use on male sheep are food grade?

I'd suggest removal before snacking. ;-)

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! You Greeks'll eat anything, won't you?

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.
-- Thomas A. Edison
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
news

. net...

[...]

Bit of a savage he is, Larry.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
I wonder if the "O" rings they use on male sheep are food grade?

I'd suggest removal before snacking. ;-)

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! You Greeks'll eat anything, won't you?

Not quite *anything*, if you get my drift. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 03:49:29 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan

" wrote in message
I wonder if the "O" rings they use on male sheep are food grade?

I'd suggest removal before snacking. ;-)

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! You Greeks'll eat anything, won't you?

Not quite *anything*, if you get my drift. :-)

Not like those Oheeeeeeo lesbiens, eh? Ay, carumba!

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.
-- Thomas A. Edison

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:08:04 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online
and sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

We built piston pumps for food products for years (salad dressings
etc) and always used Buna N "O rings" with a food grade lubricant.

What is so special in this application?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings? I found one online
and sent an inquiry. I was ignored. Any leads appreciated.

Harold

We built piston pumps for food products for years (salad dressings
etc) and always used Buna N "O rings" with a food grade lubricant.

What is so special in this application?

Dave

If I told you I'd have to kill you! :-)

No big deal, just contact with ethyl alcohol---home brew variety. It would
be nice to not introduce tastes or chemicals. Sounds like Buna N is the
word. I know it's approved for that application, just wasn't sure about
the food contact part. Thanks, Dave.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 12, 9:18*pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Does anyone have a source for food grade O rings?

No big deal, just contact with ethyl alcohol---home brew variety. *It would
be nice to not introduce tastes or chemicals.

Acid, alkali, oil, ethanol are all in 'food' products, and I've seen a
lot of
food-grade equipment that had to tolerate live steam (for cleaning).

So, the subject of compatible seals is a big one. Not just O rings,
because the crevices in the standard grooves have to be cleanable,
which is a significant nuisance in the usual O-ring design.
Even if the elastic material is compatible, NSF requirements for
cleaning might be hard to satisfy.

At a winery tour, I saw a lot of small vats and a forklift. The
vintner
explained that he didn't use pumps, because 'eventually a seal will
leak'. He did it all by gravity-feed, using the palletized vats
and the forklift to arrange the elevation for liquid transfers.